Contribute
Register

Questions for 1st Build - Video editing, AE, 3D, gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone report on how well the GTX 680 holds up for motion graphics in After Effects and the rest of Adobe Creative Suite? Thanks.

I'd love to know this as well. Looking at either a 680 or 780, but I would like more rendering/video power over gaming graphics(although that's a fun inclusion).

EDIT: My current card is a GTX 480.

Can anyone report on how well the GTX 680 holds up for motion graphics in After Effects and the rest of Adobe Creative Suite? Thanks.

Runs like a champ, faster than any other Mac.

Would someone be able to give me an opinion on this potential build, for motion graphics work.

Thanks!

GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature 2
CPU: i7-3770k 3.5GHz
PSU: Corsair HX750
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3
MOBO: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB
Storage Drive: Seagate 1TB Barracuda Hard Drive
Wireless: TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 PCI
Case: Corsair Carbide 500R

Would someone be able to give me an opinion on this potential build, for motion graphics work.

Thanks!

GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature 2
CPU: i7-3770k 3.5GHz
PSU: Corsair HX750
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3
MOBO: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB
Storage Drive: Seagate 1TB Barracuda Hard Drive
Wireless: TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 PCI
Case: Corsair Carbide 500R

I will be able to very soon. I have a nearly identical build. I opted to get a PNY GTX 680 with 4GB of RAM, cause it was on sale at Fry's though. That will be the biggest difference.

I don't think you need the 750W power supply though. I had that on my first draft, but I ended up getting a 550W unit and it is enough for me. Unless you plan on getting another graphics card later down the line, 550W should be more than enough. I got this guy here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

I am still setting it up. I plan on installing After Effects tonight and giving it a little test run.

So far, it's working quite nicely! The only thing I'm missing (that I know of) is HDMI audio, but I heard that updating the kexts to support HDMI audio can easily break sleep, so I can live without it.

Thanks songstaforlife. I'd love to know how your experience in After Effects went, as that's what I primarily use.

If my build's performance in AE isn't amazing, I might end up getting a second GPU at some point, so perhaps I should stick with the 75W PSU. Price isn't really a problem.

Thanks again!

I'm not sure the Thunderbolt port in UP5-TH is worth it.

I can't get my build to work with the TB, just give up for now until I got more time.

Also, for PSU, you might want to consider other option, I find the power cables very difficult to work with. Will consider if I can take a picture this weekend to show how difficult it is to twist and turn to attached to the hardisk.

My built details are at my website and I do some motion graphics as well.

Good luck!

Thanks songstaforlife. I'd love to know how your experience in After Effects went, as that's what I primarily use.

If my build's performance in AE isn't amazing, I might end up getting a second GPU at some point, so perhaps I should stick with the 75W PSU. Price isn't really a problem.

Thanks again!

Hey Melvyn. Sorry for the delay, but it took me a little while to figure out how to get my CUDA cores running in AE. I've run a few tests to check out the speed of the new GPU and CPU and here's what I found so far.

I used this handy benchmark project file for raytracing: forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1019120

My time was 6min 49sec. Not the best time, not the worst. However, since raytracing is a CPU oriented task, I'm assuming that the initial poster in that particular thread had the main advantage of having an i7 3930K @4.7 ghz.

I have not had the time to overclock my CPU just yet, mainly cause I have no experience in what I should do, so I am running stock speeds on my i7 3770K @ 3.5 ghz. Just to reiterate, my GPU is a PNY GTX680 4GB, and that is also running stock.

I also ran some tests for open GL in Element 3D. Let me just say, it was quite the experience. Sorry for the lack of technical details, but I used the blob model with the gold paint texture, replicated the particle to a count of 540, animated the replicator array, added camera movement with motion blur @ 16 samples, added a background environment, rendered some glow, fog, and an additional lighting preset, enabled depth of field and subsample post and rendered at full resolution at 1080p and got 1 frame per 11 seconds. When disabling the subsample post, I got about a frame every 2 seconds. Disabling the DOF but keeping the subsample post, I got about 3.8 fps. Without subsample post, DOF, and motion blur I got about 11.8 fps. VERY workable. Way faster than my late 2009 MBP at the very least.

Thanks studiosecond. Do you work in motion graphics video? If so, I'd love to know your build!

Nah but I do a lot of Final Cut X work and video rendering. Most work like a charm. Only thing bottlenecking is the hard drive. After I get my SSD I'll install the whole adobe suite.

The build:
-i7 2600k (I'll overclock it when it becomes "slow". It's still so speedy as if I bought it yesterday. And the 4600k is coming out..wow.
-16GB RAM (Most i've had OS X use is around 8)
GTX 680 (Gaming preformance in OS X is a MASSIVE FAILURE.ng) Manily because games haven't even been written properly (poor porting) but it gets 60FPS in the unreal benchmark.

I've been using windows a lot however recently for all my steam games, runs great!

60gb ssd- windows 2tb hd- windows storage 500gb hdd - OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back