Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Z390 Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi)
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
GTX 1070 Ti
Hi everyone,

This is my first hackintosh and I apologize for the newbie questions but was wondering if you could clarify a few items:

- i have a WD black 2tb drive as my primary.. Formatted to have 2-1tb partitions to get through install, but would like to make 1 large partition AFTER install, if possible..

Can I just delete the 2nd partition in disk utility after install is complete? Will that mess anything up as far as the osx installation goes?

- i see all these posts to type in different commands before install to fix graphics card issues, etc... For example, "Type "PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No" (no quotes) before proceeding with the install."

My question is, where are you supposed to type these in? Is there someway to boot into a terminal prompt before install starts? Are you just typing it on your keyboard between startup and boot and you're not actually able to see the above commands your typing on the screen?

- as far as osx updates go, i'm running mountain lion on a gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H mobo and intel i7-3770k processor... Is it just where I can go into apple...check for updates and download/install or do I need to be downloading specific update packages that are required for hackintoshes?

Thanks very much for your help...

Mark

Hi everyone,

This is my first hackintosh and I apologize for the newbie questions but was wondering if you could clarify a few items:
Welcome to the dark side of the Mac world (just kidding). Everybody has to start somewhere with the questions.

- i have a WD black 2tb drive as my primary.. Formatted to have 2-1tb partitions to get through install, but would like to make 1 large partition AFTER install, if possible..

Can I just delete the 2nd partition in disk utility after install is complete? Will that mess anything up as far as the osx installation goes?
You can delete the second partition using disk utility and stretch your OS X partition to use the entire drive. Some have had success with this, some have been unable to boot after doing this. I don't recommend it. What I would do in your situation is actually shrink the OS X partition to 100Gb. Then create another partition in the space resulting from the shrink and put all your User files there, leaving only the OS and apps in the 100Gb partition. Only then would I delete the extra 1Tb partition and add that space to the User file partition. I would also create a 100-200Gb partition on the end of the drive dedicated to backups and disk images.

- i see all these posts to type in different commands before install to fix graphics card issues, etc... For example, "Type "PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No" (no quotes) before proceeding with the install."

My question is, where are you supposed to type these in? Is there someway to boot into a terminal prompt before install starts? Are you just typing it on your keyboard between startup and boot and you're not actually able to see the above commands your typing on the screen?
If you were able to install without using them then don't worry about them. However, just to answer in case you ever do need it, when you boot your machine and see the Chimera/chameleon logo and the timer bar just start typing the command. A small test box automatically opens and stops the timer boot progress. It will not finish the boot until you stop typing and hit enter.
- as far as osx updates go, i'm running mountain lion on a gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H mobo and intel i7-3770k processor... Is it just where I can go into apple...check for updates and download/install or do I need to be downloading specific update packages that are required for hackintoshes?
You can click on the apple in the upper left of your screen in the command bar and a drop-down menu appears. One of the selections is update. This is the auto updater - selecting this will connect to apple support, compare your installed OS/apps to version labels on the support site and give you a list of any updates that are available. You can accept all or uncheck any box of an unwanted update before hitting the button to download and install.
Some hackintoshes will kp when using the updater so it is recommended you wait and download the "combo-updates" from the support site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back