Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,
I'm about to embark on my first hackintosh, I've come across the dual booting and it is exactly what I'm looking for.

What I'd like to know is will I have to Hackingtosh my pc first, then follow the dual installation guide?

Also, once it's install and the systems are running can you access additional HDD that are installed on both OSX and W7?

And whilst researching I came across a video on youtube where the screen had OSX running and in a another window it had W7 running and he was dragging and dropping into W7, is this possible with chameleon?

Thanks

As a beginner, I would install your hackintosh on to a separate hard drive. I would disconnect the windows hard drive while installing OSX so as not to corrupt it. That way you can play around and figure out the bugs without the worry of destroying your original windows disc.

Dual booting is not an issue. Once you have OSX sorted out with chimera loading, connect your windows drive and the choice is yours. I have chimera booting one of about eight varieties of windows and OSX depending on what I want to do. I also have virtual machines of windows running in OSX like a dream.

The youtube video you saw contained 2 separate computers, networked someway. Not one machine with windows on one screen and OSX on the other. I could be wrong but I don't know of a setup concurrently running windows and OSX natively on the same machine.

Good luck. If nothing else, the challenge is fun.

Jeffco
I can't get anything meaningful from your youtube link, but the one I saw was most likely networked between two independent machines. I use a virtual machine and have been unable to drag and drop files between the two operating systems. I'm happy to be proved wrong, it would be a welcome productivity increase.

I get access to all files and drives in OSX, XP and Win7. I installed Macfuse (later purchasing Tuxera) on the OSX machine which allows full manipulation of windows files. Another company has released a windows file reader and writer but the name escapes me (Paragon??). I have heard of problems with file corruption in modifying OSX to read and write windows files. These programs are suppose to overcome the problems and for me they have been faultless.

On windows, I installed Bootcamp files to allow the use of the Apple keyboard and this then allowed me to manipulate the OSX files. I haven't done much of that because I mainly use the hackintosh system now. The virtual machine works so well that I find I have no need to boot into windows natively. My virtual machine works faster on my current setup compared to a native windows installation on my previous computer, even the 3D CAD that I do.

Hope this helps.

Well doing a bit of research, it appears Vmware and Parallels both support drag and drop. I use virtualbox which doesn't (yet). It looks like I might be moving to a payed for program. I have no issues with the way I transfer files now between the two (networked drive/folder) but it is slower than drag and drop from one to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back