RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hypothetically, if I were to do 3 installs on the same SSD with 3 different partitions:
1 partition for a High Sierra install
1 partition for a Mojave install
1 partition for a Catalina install

Can I use the same EFI folder for all 3 installs?
If not, what would the ramifications be?
Thanks,
Len

Well it would be 3 partitions (maybe more)
2 partitions for High Sierra - System, Recovery
1 partition for Mojave and Catalina one partition but many volumes
Mojave and Catalina use volumes in the APFS partition that would be 5
Mojave, Mojave Recovery, Catalina System write protected by default, Catalina Data, Catalina Recovery

The thing might be that High Sierra may or may not like the latest clover used with Mojave and Catalina
5098 is the latest version I am using
Catalina likes the latest AppleALC, Lilu, and WhatEverGreen kexts will High Sierra be happy with them

It is very possible as that is exactly how my rig is running and from one EFI folder on Catalina booting all three without any problems. The big difference is all my OS X versions are residing on separate disks as I think this is the safest and easiest way of Multi-booting. Although the method of putting all three on a large disk is do-able, you can create a problem for your self later with cross Data corruption with any future updates but all three on their respective drive is safer as you can easily remove or isolate any OS X version from a process. Which ever way you choose Good luck. 'Going Bald' has an excellent tutorial on Multibooting in the way you described and on separate disks.

I installed 4 separate ssd's in my computer and installed High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, and Manjaro Linux.
Quadruple booting all successfully.
I am using one EFI partition to boot all of them.
Thanks for the advice guys!

IMG_3207.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back