Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z68A GD65
CPU
I5 2500
Graphics
Radeon Rx 560 2gb
I am a beginner in this field but I hope I can get some help.

I have been thinking about making a hackintosh for almost a year and reading this topic -$295 "PovoMac" — The Cheapest "Hackintosh" Ever! - has made me believe that I can do it and afford it. I am about to buy the CPU, board, memory and RAM.

I know the board is the most important one but, I have one question: can I use my HIS Radeon HD3850?

I also have one Gainward HD 4850 GS (Golden Sample). It is exactly like this http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=154. Can this work also?

I wish to use what I still have around and not spend so much money on hardware.

Also I have not found any information on the importance of RAM. Does brand matter? I have around one stick of 4 gb RAM ddr3 1333 mhz. I think it should work too.

Re: $295 "PovoMac" — The Cheapest "Hackintosh" Ever!

your Gainward HD 4850 GS works with latest chimera and ati 48xx patch on multi beast

I am back to this thread -$295 "PovoMac" — The Cheapest "Hackintosh" Ever! - because I see a lot of very nice people that are very helpful.

I have just one more question: what installation instructions should I use?
I mean I just don't know anymore what to follow. I have seen a lot of pages with a lot of information. Please, just give me the link, where there are given specific instructions on exactly what to do, every step. If you are not allowed to publish here links outside this forum (if you need to give me a link outside this forum), please just send me a PM.

Thank you very much.

fiex,
The UniBeast Installation Guide on the tonymacx86 Blog.
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/10/unibeast-install-mac-os-x-lion-using.html

You will need to have access to a Mac (friend, etc.) running at least Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Once on the Mac, go to the Mac App Store, create your own account, download the Install Lion app, and create the UniBeast USB thumb drive. Only do Steps 1 & 2 in the UniBeast Installation Guide on the other Mac.

If you don't have access to a Mac or another Hackintosh, you'll have to install Snow Leopard first. You can get it from the Apple Store for $29.00 USD.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A
Then, once Snow Leopard is installed (see the last link in my signature block for the tonymacx86 SL Installation guide), you can update to SL 10.6.8 and sign into the Mac App Store and download Lion.

I recommend you print out each guide you use and check off each step so you don't accidentally miss a step.

Good Luck and Have fun.

Stork, thank you for the very very fast reply which was full of information.
It will take me some effort to find somebody with a mac and also have time for me (two of my friends that have a mac are always on the road and working on their macs), but I think it will be easier than the non-mac version.
Thank you again for your post. It is very clear for me what I have to do now and I hope it will be clear for other newbies that will visit this thread looking to make a PovoMac.

Split out from a User Builds thread to the correct forum section for more visibility. tonymacx86 forum index

User Builds -> Buying Advice (forum sections)
  • |
    |
    |
    V
User Builds == Confirmed [Successful] User Hardware Build Descriptions and questions on the build description

----------------------------> Forum Rules
<--

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back