Motherboard
GA-H61N-USB3
CPU
intel i5
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. Mac mini
I have a small mini ITX board, the GA-H61N-USB3, which has a i5 intel CPU (LGA1155),

It runs Mavericks just fine, but I haven't been able to update osx to Yosemite or beyond.

Instead, I have the opportunity to buy a new board, maybe the GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 board.

My question is, if I do this, will I also have to buy a new CPU?

My current i5 is a 2nd generation Intel model, but the newer boards support 5th and 6th generation CPUs.

Does this mean if I buy a new board, I will also have to buy the new CPU?

Looking forward to your feedback!

Thanks Adrian, I will post again if I get it working.

Yeah! I got it working, I followed the instructions in those links, , I just had to install the kexts, using kext wizard.
For some reason, the audio kext only worked when I installed it from multibeast.

Also, the latest version of clover doesnt work, I had to copy over the version from the unibeast usb stick.

Everything works, except, I am using a GTX 960 Nvidia card.

I installed the correct Nvidia Web Drivers, but the only thing is, when I select the "NVIDIA Webdriver" option , then reboot, it always reboots using the OSX drivers.

When I change some things, (For example following this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/ )

But when I reboot, it still uses the OSX drivers.

Worse, every once in a while it will reboot corectly using the nvidia drivers, (But by the next reboot, goes back to OSX.)

Can you advise me on this?

You can update your profile hardware in your personal settings to reflect the hardware that you are attempting to install OS X on. Can you also be clear which version of OS X/macOS (Yosemite, El Capitan or Sierra?) that you are installing.

This thread is for buying advice.

If you want to solve a graphics issue as you are now able to use your H61 hardware, then please use/post in the graphics section:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/graphics.13/

Sometimes using an older iMac system definition works best for H61/SandyBridge hardware. You will need to be clear about the version of OS X/macOS that you are running, the system definition that you are using and the steps that you have used to solve the issue. Advice is a two way street - without your accurate and detailed, feedback moving forward becomes harder because 'does't work' does not sound right - something is wrong somewhere.

For what it's worth, I solved this , by updating to 10.12.04, then installing the latest webdriver for that version.
The default system profile was "Mac Mini 5,1", so I changed that to "14,2".
Since then, the webdriver works smoothly with each restart.

Your input helped me reach that conclusion, so thank you.
I will just leave this here, instead of opening a new thread, in case somebody gets here from Googling the same board.

Ciao!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back