Graphics
NVidia 8400
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have a working 10.6.7 hackintosh that I want to upgrade to Lion. I assume that when I upgrade, the Lion installer will overwrite the network/audio/video/etc drivers and I'll have to re-load them again. The NVidia driver was epecially difficult to get working, and I'd like to avoid going through that again. Am I right that the drivers will all be overwritten, and if so, is there a way to save the configuration or something to restore later?

answer to your questions.

a) Backup/backup using super duper or carbon copy cloner and clone your current working Snow Leopard to another drive.
b) Use Xmove method if you want to upgrade.
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... -lion.html
c) Unibeast option is alternative to xMove.

10.7 is a completely new version, so it is highly recommend you test it out on a separate HDD install and leave your Snow Leopard in tact. That's the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the great answers. I finally got time to follow the instructions last night. I managed to get the 8GB "Installer" partition configured, and successfully ran xMove to copy the Lion installer ("App Store Download") to that partition. I then restarted and booted off the "Installer" partition, but got stuck at the gray Apple logo with no progress animation.

So I restarted again with "-v" and found that it's getting stuck at "PCI Configuration Begin", after loading all the drivers. I have only one PCI card in the system, and it's the NVidia card that worked when I installed Snow Leopard. I reduced the RAM from 6GB to 2GB because I had to do that for the Snow Leopard install also. So I'm fairly stripped down, configuration-wise. Mobo is GigaByte X58-USB3 with i7 9xx series (forget the exact model). I've included a photo of where the boot procedure stops. Side note, I can still boot off the Snow Leopard partition without issues, it's the Installer partition that isn't working.

Attachments

• IMAG0527.jpg
    IMAG0527.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 111
Sigh, I'm an idiot. Just a few more minutes of grepping the forums and I found npci=0x2000, and that allowed the Installer partition to boot. Now to see if the rest works...

indianajones said:
I have a working 10.6.7 hackintosh that I want to upgrade to Lion. I assume that when I upgrade, the Lion installer will overwrite the network/audio/video/etc drivers and I'll have to re-load them again. The NVidia driver was epecially difficult to get working, and I'd like to avoid going through that again. Am I right that the drivers will all be overwritten, and if so, is there a way to save the configuration or something to restore later?

Please share some detail on your system. Question i7 750 to start. And question integrated graphics.

Thank you,

neil

neil,

Apologies for the delay in responding. I used the xMove technique and it worked perfectly, except I also needed to learn about the npci=0x2000 boot flags.

To respond to your suggestions, I don't have integrated graphics, but a discrete NVidia 95xx series board, which all previously worked in 10.6.7.

MultiBeast plus my previous DSDT restored almost everything. I did lose the most important configuration, the NVidia configuration, but I saved all my previous settings in screenshots and documentation and was easily able to retore it. So I'm up and running now on 10.7.3. Thanks for the suggestions and assistance.

Thanks to this great forum, I was able to get my Hackintosh up and running with 10.6.8.
My last hurdle was booting off the HD, which I had to partition since it is a 2T dive.

Now I have upgraded to Lion and was wondering if there is the same restriction/recommendation to have a boot drive < 750GB.
(would prefer to have a single drive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back