Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I just wanna know if my understanding is correct. Forgive me if I am gonna ask some stupid questions.

Let say I got all the hardware that am gonna need and installed the hardware properly.

-Intel Core i7 2600K Quad Core Unlocked Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Sandy Bridge 8MB
-Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 ATX LGA1155 Z68 DDR3 2PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard
-AMD Radeon HD 6870 900MHZ 1GB GDDR5 4.2GHZ PCI-E 2 X DVI HDMI 2 X Mini Display Port
-16GB Corsair 1600Mhz DDR3
-Corsair Professional HX650W 650W ATX 12V 52A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan

Do I need to overclock the CPU?
Can I use any snow leopard retail? or is there only one retail DVD? If there are many which one should I use for the Mac OS installation?

You do not need to overclock. It is completely optional.

There is only one type of Snow Leopard Retail disk. There are also the disks that come packaged with mac computers but they are not retail disks and are not supported. You must use a retail disk.

You might also want to look into OSX Lion. It is the OS that is going to get the most support from Apple in the future. Unless you have software that is incompatible with Lion or a personal preference for Snow Leopard I would suggest that you use Lion instead.

g3n3s89 said:
I just wanna know if my understanding is correct. Forgive me if I am gonna ask some stupid questions.

Let say I got all the hardware that am gonna need and installed the hardware properly.

-Intel Core i7 2600K Quad Core Unlocked Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Sandy Bridge 8MB
-Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 ATX LGA1155 Z68 DDR3 2PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard
-AMD Radeon HD 6870 900MHZ 1GB GDDR5 4.2GHZ PCI-E 2 X DVI HDMI 2 X Mini Display Port
-16GB Corsair 1600Mhz DDR3
-Corsair Professional HX650W 650W ATX 12V 52A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan

Do I need to overclock the CPU?
Can I use any snow leopard retail? or is there only one retail DVD? If there are many which one should I use for the Mac OS installation?

Of course you don't need to overclock, but to be sure, if you do not plan to overclock then why do you plan to (or have you already purchased) purchase the 2600K in the first place? Sounds a bit weird to me especially since you are not using the integrated graphics.

You could have gone with a cheaper option such as the Core i7-2600 or the Core i5-2400.

@Finboss and @Jamesbond007 thank you so much for the very quick reply and the information that you had given to me.

@Finboss yes I am going to upgrade to lion after I install the snow leopard. OR is there anyway that I can go straight to lion without installing snow leopard?

g3n3s89 said:
@Finboss and @Jamesbond007 thank you so much for the very quick reply and the information that you had given to me.

@Finboss yes I am going to upgrade to lion after I install the snow leopard. OR is there anyway that I can go straight to lion without installing snow leopard?

If you don't have access to another hackintosh or real Mac, then you will first have to install Snow Leopard and then upgrade to Lion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back