Contribute
Register

Question about MBP media disks

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have three MBPs in the house--all of which came with Snow Leopard, and all of which have now been upgraded to Lion via paid upgrades through the Apple store. In looking at the system disks for those laptops though, they call out "Macbook Pro" right on the disk. I presume this means there are extra drivers for the laptop components of course, but obviously the OS lives on the disk as well.

Therefore curious minds want to know--is it at all possible to install Snow Leopard from one of these disks, with the aid of MultiBeast afterwards?

I should say in closing that I am about to go download another version of Lion for the pending install. The components cost me just over $1500 when I ordered them this past weekend, so I certainly don't mind paying $30 for the latest OS, In fact if I had an empty USB stick of more than 4GB, I'd have already grabbed Lion. But I was just wondering how the Snow Leopard disk differs from the normal OS disks...especially since I don't recall specifying anything unusual in terms of a MBP-only version when upgrading the three laptops to Lion this past Fall.

Thanks!

TB

Those grey disks won't work.

Yea...sorta figured they wouldn't. I guess I was just wondering what was so special about them, compared to the regular "system" disk?

Tomorrow I need to go buy an 8gb thumb drive, and then download Lion. I don't want Snow Leopard on this new machine anyway--I was just hoping someone knew what makes the MBP system disks different from the other (more generic) system disks...besides the drivers, of course.

TB

They are specific software disks for your mac model only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back