Contribute
Register

Question about harddrive partitioning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey, so over the summer I successfully put together my first build. I put a 2nd 1TB harddrive in to try installing hackintosh, unfortunately by the time school rolled around I hadn't gotten it to work properly so I gave up till next break.

I'm planning on starting over on the hackintosh from scratch, but I kinda wanna use the that harddrive in windows as extra space. So my question is: is there a specific way I need to format the harddrive in windows so that it will work when I try installing osx again? Will I need to erase all my data from that harddrive when I do?

Thanks,
Alex

adach said:
Hey, so over the summer I successfully put together my first build. I put a 2nd 1TB harddrive in to try installing hackintosh, unfortunately by the time school rolled around I hadn't gotten it to work properly so I gave up till next break.

I'm planning on starting over on the hackintosh from scratch, but I kinda wanna use the that harddrive in windows as extra space. So my question is: is there a specific way I need to format the harddrive in windows so that it will work when I try installing osx again? Will I need to erase all my data from that harddrive when I do?

Thanks,
Alex
Yes. Better to get another drive and start from scratch with OS X.

adach said:

Thanks,
Alex

I think I understand what you're trying to do -- let me know if this is it.

You currently run Windows 7 on a primary hd, but have a second hd installed in the system as well that has remnants from an incomplete install of OS X? What you would like to do is use some of the second 1 TB hd to store files on your windows machine, but keep the option open to keep some space on it so that you can re-attempt to install OS X at some undetermined point?

If so, you can always pop-in iboot and partition the second hd to be NTFS so that your WIN 7 install can easily see it and you can drag and drop files to it. When you wanted to install OS X next, you would simply resize the 2nd hd in iBoot and follow tonymacx guide for dual-booting. A word of caution though, you'll probably have to make the hd with OS X on it the primary in bios.

Alternatively, if you were thinking about reattempting on your winter break, you could partition 2 partiontions with GUID, one partition with HFS+ and the other with NTFS and you should be able to access the NTFS portion while in Windows. Then, at some point when you wished to install OS X you would have to make it the primary hd and ensure that chimera or whatever bootloader could access the two different OS on the different hd's.

I don't know what your computer experience is, but good luck.

aapclark said:
If so, you can always pop-in iboot and partition the second hd to be NTFS so that your WIN 7 install can easily see it and you can drag and drop files to it. When you wanted to install OS X next, you would simply resize the 2nd hd in iBoot and follow tonymacx guide for dual-booting.
Not that easy. If you use Win7 to format the drive NTFS is will be formatted with MBR. OS X requires GUID. The entire drive has to be reformatted before you can install OS X, so all files on the drive have to be moved if you want to save them.

not an expert...but just trying giving my idea. ;)

you still need reformat the drive using diskutility
from installation dvd for eases of next mac installation....as aapclark
mentioned before,
you may need only two main partition for now as
1st are for the coming hackintosh installation
2nd for the data partition share between those(doesn't
matter what format,it's on your preference ....cos there
are some software that can be install to both OS etc Macdrive
and Paragon ntfs for mac)
pls google it for more...btw

Status
Not open for further replies.