Contribute
Register

Quadro FX 1800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

(Crikey, first post...)

eBuyer sent me this gfx card today in error, but since what they should have sent me cost only £14 I'm going to hang on to it. :lol:

Next week I'm putting together a new i7 desktop hack, so I'll try this card out and let you know how it goes.

All the best,
-Rob.

charlzm said:
Cubusaddendum said:
Next week I'm putting together a new i7 desktop hack, so I'll try this card out and let you know how it goes.

All the best,
-Rob.

Rob,

Welcome! I'm curious to hear about your luck with this card. Do drop us a line!

The hackit0sh I built with my planned configuration came out perfect (I'm using it right now). The problem now is that in order to pull out the current gfx card (Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5870) I'd have to dismantle the case again, which I am loathed to do!

Sorry mate.

If anyone want's a buy a new PNY Quadro FX 1800 for £14 GBP + P&P send me a PM.

-Rob.

Cubusaddendum said:
The hackit0sh I built with my planned configuration came out perfect (I'm using it right now). The problem now is that in order to pull out the current gfx card (Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5870) I'd have to dismantle the case again, which I am loathed to do!

-Rob.

I'm using exactly the same card in my build (5870). Are you trying to run in 64 bit mode? Had any trouble with that?

charlzm said:
Cubusaddendum said:

-Rob.

I'm using exactly the same card in my build (5870). Are you trying to run in 64 bit mode? Had any trouble with that?

Actually since I read that the ATY enabler is currently 32-bit only I haven't even tried to boot the 64-bit kernel. It's not like you can't run 64-bit applications (which in the case of Logic Studio I certainly do run 64-bit).

Like most other niggles, I expect this one will eventually go away, either by an update to ATY or an alternative approach.

I can't say it's caused any issues so far. Personally I'm dual booting between 10.6.4 and Win7 x64 anyway, with the main 3D accelerated applications targeting the latter OS.

-R.

PS> Have you seen this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... 68&hl=5870

It's working great for me. I hope Kabyl merges his code into the trunk for the next official Chameleon release.

Cubusaddendum said:
Actually since I read that the ATY enabler is currently 32-bit only I haven't even tried to boot the 64-bit kernel...

PS> Have you seen this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... 68&hl=5870

It's working great for me.

I've been trying to get 64 bit running so I can access all my system RAM instead of just the 4 gigs under 32 bit. Problem is, the method for getting the 5870 to run 64 bit is pretty involved and I haven't been able to pull it off yet...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5779

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-03-11 at 9.44.26 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-03-11 at 9.44.26 AM.png
    51 KB · Views: 98
charlzm said:
I've been trying to get 64 bit running so I can access all my system RAM instead of just the 4 gigs under 32 bit. Problem is, the method for getting the 5870 to run 64 bit is pretty involved and I haven't been able to pull it off yet...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5779

I believe you're thinking too Window-ish. In Mac OSX, *each* 32-bit process can address up to 4Gb, and 64-bit processes can already run with the 32-bit kernel while addressing >4Gb of RAM.

So... I'm not sure I understand what you are hoping to achieve. Please elaborate!

If you're running a 32-bit plug-in in a 64-bit application via a bit-bridge, then the plug-in will be running out-of-proc, and hence will be able to address 4Gb of it's own anyway. You won't get a benefit from running the 64-bit kernel there.

As far as I understood, the main drive for getting the 64-bit kernel running is the approx 30% speed increase that 64-bit processes attain over running them with the 32-bit kernel.

Mac OSX doesn't address the system RAM in a single N-bit word like Windows does. In fact, your Mac applications don't even get to make the distinction between actual and virtual memory: Each process gets a fat aggregated block of RAM to use and it's OSX's behind-the-scenes memory management that determines what ratio of silicon/HDD the aggregate is made of at any given moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back