Contribute
Register

Quadro card with Ryzentosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I just reacted to sentence "All we can say for certain is that you've had no dual boot success so far", which trs96 corrected later.
This setup used costs more than brand new Mac Mini M1. So it is not about simplicity, comfort and "just works". It is hobby, fun and "because I can". I know all the risks. When doing such tricks. I'm fully aware that next minute whole thing might not work. But I'm engineer. I thrive to clarity and knowledge. Speak with facts and data.

If my triple-boot works well, I do not thank stars and god. I thank people who developed/reverse-engineered this possibility, based facts of hardware and knowledge of software. It is not coincidence that it works, it works because of steady systematic work. And if it does not, I want to understand why. It is not because "wind changed". No. I do not like foggy stuff. I will find out it sooner or later. And I have found that Hackintosh very well obeys cause and effect. Better than the other famous OS. It is just finding the correlation between cause and effect.

But I still can seek help, right ? This is what this forum is for, correct ? People who well understand risks and fragility of this hack. All which might be over in a fingersnip, when Apple stops support for x64. This whole hackintosh thing is Yugo, not even irony here... we all know that. You can't fault me if I want to install GPS to Yugo. Because you are not better than me. You drive Yugo also.
Same here, love my Yugo

But I still can seek help, right ? This is what this forum is for, correct ?
I agree, hackintosh is for people that like to tinker and fix what breaks. It's what makes it fun and interesting. No one, including me is trying to be critical of dual or triple booting on a hackintosh. You can do that. It's your choice and it can work with enough time and effort. The point I'm trying to make is that to get back to a working system you'll need to basically start over, clean install just macOS first and then add in Windows or Linux later on when everything is stable with macOS and your Nvidia K4200. Then also read more of the OpenCore documentation regarding multi-booting and preventing problems therein. Setting specific Quirks in your config.plist is a requirement for a multi-boot hackintosh.

Even before doing those things I would read through the guides in the Multi-Booting forum. Ask any questions there about the best approach for a macOS, Linux and Windows triple boot.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm already getting to use to idea of clean install. I'm leaving this as last resort because its like surrendering :)
I will swap my Quadro first to Radeon, but that most likely will not help regarding boot problem and then try check on another motherboard.
And I will not reinstall this Linux even in gunpoint :)
This Debian Unstable installation is now 15 years old (cloning it from harddisk to harddisk) !

Thanks. I'm already getting to use to idea of clean install. I'm leaving this as last resort because its like surrendering :)
I will swap my Quadro first to Radeon, but that most likely will not help regarding boot problem and then try check on another motherboard.
And I will not reinstall this Linux even in gunpoint :)
This Debian Unstable installation is now 15 years old (cloning it from harddisk to harddisk) !
Windows will seek out new drivers when a hardware change is made. The 4200 may have set new drivers in motion for windows. These auto updates have been known to corrupt drives and the EFI in Hackintosh builds. There may be a new EFI partition hidden in the drive somewhere that is causing the boot order not to work correctly. Most of us have encountered corrupted drives even with no windows drives attached. My experience with NVME drives is that this can be more common than with SSD drives.

APFS format IMO has brought in new partitions for security that are more likely to break during updates or hardware changes. There are more moving parts so to speak to get dislodged.
Best practice methods for hackintosh is seperare drives for every OS installed.

EFI was definetly not corrupted and no new partitions were not created.

Got Radeon RX460, not big difference, only thing is that also first boot stage is already in correct resolution, not VGA like with both nvidia cards. But it crashes in same place. My hope was that maybe going with CSM disabled (was not possible with K4200) makes difference, but no.

Then grabbed spare SSD and installed fresh copy, using even my own EFI and it was fast and flawless. When system is up Radeon is detected automatically, no tricks needed. So all good.

Means that my original MacOS partition is screwed (I ran also First Aid from new installation, still no errors. Finder shows its content and Apps opened !) somehow. Still don't think its Windows as it can't read APFS and would have killed whole partition. But its mostly intact. Maybe constant rebooting due trying getting K4200 to work frantically...

Now question - if I still try to get it working, can I over install old MacOS so that my apps and settings are kept ? Shall I do it from Recovery or boot installer ? Must it be already 11.5.2 (that was my level before crash) or will 11.4 do (I just have such installer ready) ?

Thank you all so far !

EFI was definetly not corrupted and no new partitions were not created.

Got Radeon RX460, not big difference, only thing is that also first boot stage is already in correct resolution, not VGA like with both nvidia cards. But it crashes in same place. My hope was that maybe going with CSM disabled (was not possible with K4200) makes difference, but no.

Then grabbed spare SSD and installed fresh copy, using even my own EFI and it was fast and flawless. When system is up Radeon is detected automatically, no tricks needed. So all good.

Means that my original MacOS partition is screwed (I ran also First Aid from new installation, still no errors. Finder shows its content and Apps opened !) somehow. Still don't think its Windows as it can't read APFS and would have killed whole partition. But its mostly intact. Maybe constant rebooting due trying getting K4200 to work frantically...

Now question - if I still try to get it working, can I over install old MacOS so that my apps and settings are kept ? Shall I do it from Recovery or boot installer ? Must it be already 11.5.2 (that was my level before crash) or will 11.4 do (I just have such installer ready) ?

Thank you all so far !
I would transfer any important data or apps from the borked MacOS so its saved then try installing over the bad install drive.

Small update if anybody cares - I plugged my famous K4200 into this new fresh installation, and it works (with my original EFI, no tricks for Quadro) ! Metal is working and even 100Hz monitor freq.

Either my old installation was borked already before I started messing with Quadro card OR I blame my monitor ! You know, today's monitors are smart, they boot, not just power on. When I was swapping GPU's today, it switched back to my laptop input and went crazy then (switching to random reso and refused to back to my default/preferred one). Cold power off from wall helped. This has happened once before I remembered suddenly.

So, most likely the black screen with cursor with K4200 (see original post) was caused by monitor bad resolution negotation. So instead of doing one cold-boot cycle for monitor, I went to 2 weeks/10-page internet thread, pissed of people, pissed off myself, botched my fully configured installation, bought new GPU and motherboard (arrives today, so I can test the original installation once again)...

Hobby ! Yugo !

Last edited:
Small update if anybody cares - I plugged my famous K4200 into this new fresh installation, and it works (with my original EFI, no tricks for Quadro) ! Metal is working and even 100Hz monitor freq.

Either my old installation was borked already before I started messing with Quadro card OR I blame my monitor ! You know, today's monitors are smart, they boot, not just power on. When I was swapping GPU's today, it switched back to my laptop input and went crazy then (switching to random reso and refused to back to my default/preferred one). Cold power off from wall helped. This has happened once before I remembered suddenly.

So, most likely the black screen with cursor with K4200 (see original post) was caused by monitor bad resolution negotation. So instead of doing one cold-boot cycle for monitor, I went to 2 weeks/10-page internet thread, pissed of people, pissed off myself, botched my fully configured installation, bought new GPU and motherboard (arrives today, so I can test the original installation once again)...

Hobby ! Yugo !
:banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back