Contribute
Register

Quadro card with Ryzentosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, can you please guide how windows can do this ? So I can avoid it next time and how second physical drive helps ? I've been dual (and triple, quad, using different windows and linux installs) booting 20+ years now and never experienced anything like this.

I've been dual (and triple, quad, using different windows and linux installs) booting 20+ years now and never experienced anything like this.
Is this the first time you tried dual booting macOS and Windows ? The two OSs just don't get along, kind of like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. When together they were always fighting over something.

Windows will overwrite the very important OC EFI folder which is what makes macOS bootable on PC hardware. With real Macs Apple gave us Bootcamp to make dual booting the two on a Mac a much simpler thing. With a hackintosh/Windows dual boot many things can and will go wrong.

Yes, first such dual-boot.

But rest is very confusing. For sure Windows did not overwrite OC folder - all is still there. Besides, I'm using fresh EFI's from users of this forum. Those are not affected by my Windows.

Yes, first such dual-boot.

But rest is very confusing. For sure Windows did not overwrite OC folder - all is still there. Besides, I'm using fresh EFI's from users of this forum. Those are not affected by my Windows.
All we can say for certain is that you've had no dual boot success so far.

Try a clean install of just macOS by itself, get that fully working and booting then address the Windows part later. One of the moderators here who writes dual booting guides, never even has a Windows and macOS drive connected at the same time. He uses a hot swap bay to boot each OS completely independent of the other. That's how you can avoid most dual boot problems.

Last edited:
Dual (actually triple, Linux also) boot worked for months. See first post. Stuff started to break when I tried to get my new Quadro K4200 card working in MacOS and temporary booted from external USB EFI.

Stuff started to break when I tried to get my new Quadro K4200 card working in MacOS
Yes, this is an example of how multi-booting adds complexity and leads to problems. If you add in a natively supported K4200 and your only OS is macOS, there shouldn't be a single problem using it as your primary graphics.

Dual (actually triple, Linux also) boot worked for months.
What I meant to say is, "you're not having any success with multibooting right now."

Dual (actually triple, Linux also) boot worked for months. See first post. Stuff started to break when I tried to get my new Quadro K4200 card working in MacOS and temporary booted from external USB EFI.
"Worked for months" and then didn't is exactly how most posts relating to multi booting problems read....the more complex the structure of the drive that MacOS is on the greater likelihood that something will break. Kudos to you to getting it setup but understand what the caveats are and think again before you set it all up this time.
My Dell laptop is setup up dual boot on a single drive and its been fine but that's not really the rule of thumb. I've also had desktops dual booting from a single drive that would break if the wind changed direction...just saying. Some even that Mac and Windows were setup on separate drives that would flake...

the more complex the structure of the drive that MacOS is on the greater likelihood that something will break.
It's like buying a used Yugo that some mechanic has fixed up and is reselling. "How does it run ?" "Great, everything is working." "Will it keep working that way after I drive it off the car lot ?" "I can't guarantee that." Something highly prone to break down like a used Yugo (if any even still exist) will eventually give you trouble. Usually right at the worst time. For the few times a month I do need Windows I either boot from a Windows to Go USB or use a dedicated Win10 PC that sits idle most of the time. I don't want to spend any precious time trying to solve multiboot issues. Just not worth it to me.

Last edited:
Guys, I just reacted to sentence "All we can say for certain is that you've had no dual boot success so far", which trs96 corrected later.
This setup used costs more than brand new Mac Mini M1. So it is not about simplicity, comfort and "just works". It is hobby, fun and "because I can". I know all the risks. When doing such tricks, I'm fully aware that next minute whole thing might not work. But I'm engineer. I thrive to clarity and knowledge. Speak with facts and data.

If my triple-boot works well, I do not thank stars and god. I thank people who developed/reverse-engineered this possibility, based on facts on hardware and knowledge of software. It is not coincidence that it works, it works because of steady systematic work. And if it does not, I want to understand why. It is not because "wind changed". No. I do not like foggy stuff. I will find out it sooner or later. And I have found that Hackintosh very well obeys cause and effect. Better than the other famous OS. It is just finding the correlation between cause and effect.

But I still can seek help, right ? This is what this forum is for, correct ? People who well understand risks and fragility of this hack. All which might be over in a fingersnip, when Apple stops support for x64. This whole hackintosh thing is Yugo, not even irony here... we all know that. You can't fault me if I want to install GPS to Yugo. Because you are not better than me. You drive Yugo also.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back