Contribute
Register

PWM CPU fan control? Reading temperature values?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-EP43-UD3P
CPU
Xeon E5472
Graphics
8800 GT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
I have a GA-EP45-DS3R board with Cartri v0.8 BIOS, its a DSDT-free system.
My problem lies in the PWM CPU cooler I've bought, its too fast and too loud regardless of the BIOS, I can hear it vary RPMs so fan control is working, but I read 2100RPM while booting or while in CMOS setup, and its doing about 2500RPM while idling in OS X. That's too fast, too much noise. Temperatures are around 36C, not hot at all.

I need a way read the temperature value in OS X to monitor this, and a way to set the PWM slope/ramp, to manage the noise.

Help is much appreciated.

This is the PWM cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233081
The heatsink is very nice, but man that fan is fast and loud.

If all fails, perhaps I'll buy a different one... but I'd rather not.

I'm still pretty new to this but the fans are just fans right? So any error in the speed being sent to them is likely to be mobo/bios related to the pwm plugs they are in? A different heat sink will still have pwm fans and there is no logic in assuming they will react differently, since you say the temps are reporting low. No?

I'm still building so, I'm curious to see what you find out.

I'd be leaning to a manual fan controller though for now. $30 and you can have temp readings and fan control that aren't mobo/os hindered. Raw data ftw.

Phaedin said:
I'm still pretty new to this but the fans are just fans right? So any error in the speed being sent to them is likely to be mobo/bios related to the pwm plugs they are in? A different heat sink will still have pwm fans and there is no logic in assuming they will react differently, since you say the temps are reporting low. No?

I'm still building so, I'm curious to see what you find out.

I'd be leaning to a manual fan controller though for now. $30 and you can have temp readings and fan control that aren't mobo/os hindered. Raw data ftw.

It has to do with the fact that PWM signal does not define the RPM. PWM is just a ratio, but a ratio of what is determined by the fan you have.

For reference I did just plug in a 120mm Cooler Master PWM fan, and it spins at around 1200RPM while XIGMATEK 92mm fan spins around 2500RPM.

Since the system clearly isn't overheating, I can only conclude that the default PWM slope (rate of pulse width increase with temperature increase) is not suited for the XIGMATEK fan I have.

Hence I'd like a utility to push my own values to the PWM controller as well as ability to read the CPU temperature sensor.

Hmmm troubling, you'd hope the fans on a cpu cooler that are plugged into the pwm slots would react well.

What's cheaper, replacing the whole heat sink or the fans that came with it?

Phaedin said:
Hmmm troubling, you'd hope the fans on a cpu cooler that are plugged into the pwm slots would react well.

What's cheaper, replacing the whole heat sink or the fans that came with it?

I ended up buying this, since I value my hearing as much as my sanity:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186034
Hopefully its as quiet as others say it is. According to reviews many buy it for the XIGMATEK replacement, so sounds like I'm in the same boat as others.

I'd still want others to chime in with fan control utility suggestions. The ones written for real Macs don't read temperatures or RPMs, and obviously also fail to set them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back