Contribute
Register

Purchasing a moniter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I don't have a very good camera, but here are a few of mine in actions.

As I mentioned it's going to get wall mounted soon. Just finished a basement office renovation and need to paint walls, etc first. After that I'll be building some bookcases and a new longer desk, and the monitor will get floated above from the wall.

No logo anymore ;)
IMG_20120517_184059.jpg

A close up of the corner/side and an indication of viewing angle from the IPS panel
IMG_20120517_184046.jpg

3 monitor setup off my 5770 hack
IMG_20120517_184011.jpg

Hope these help.

Attachments

• IMG_20120517_184011.jpg
    IMG_20120517_184011.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20120517_184046.jpg
    IMG_20120517_184046.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_20120517_184059.jpg
    IMG_20120517_184059.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 119
thanks alot for those.
it really looks great with the logo removed (that was a big downer for me).
thats the one id go for, the fixed stand model.
the white surround on the base looks really smart.

whats really strange is seeing those 23" monitors dwarfed by that 27
aahhhhhhhh i will be ordering soon

Ya it does look great without the logo. I think I'm going to mount it on the wall. it's not that heavy right? It will be so great having that extra screen realastate 2560x1440 :D

It is bigger, but in person not so much bigger. The thing you notice right away is the resolution. Definitely download the 27q color profile and load that up right away. You'll notice a major difference in color after you do even a minor calibration.

Trick with the logo is to work the surface repeatedly in crossing patterns with a fingernail or something else sharp enough to score the paint, but not too hard so you don't scratch the glossy plastic underneath. It's surface paint though so once you loosen it up in a few places it'll only take about 5-10 minutes total. There's a very tiny residue left if i look very closely that I'll buff out in some odd weekend, but from where I sit I can't tell it was ever there.

Not that heavy, but I would describe the heft as 'sturdy'. Definitely liftable in one hand. Overclock lists it at ~15lbs so a decent wall mount would work. I have a nice flexible one from monoprice that was only about $15. Very heavy gauge steel. I think it's rated up to about 45lbs so this should be no problem.

You guys'll have to tell me how it goes when you get yours.

Samisnake, are you keeping the old cinema display you had in your build pics or switching over to just use the 2560x1440 you get? I'm just on the fence about whether to keep, or try to sell off the Asus monitors now. I've always like multiple monitors, but with this resolution I barely need the other monitors anymore and they've just become places to toss spare windows ;)

only one of them will be staying. if it turns out to be crud, ill sell it on or something.
i dont really have the space for 2 monitors on this desk.

i cant imagine me wanting more screens atm. ive used a 27" acd, and it was mahoosive. everything seems so lost in the screen.

i guess my only apprehension right now is that it seems too good to be true, like ill get it and while the panel will look great, the rest of the monitor will look cheesy.
theres only so much you can get out of a photo, thats why its good to hear actual experiences from people like yourself.

I would say sell it dual moniters isnt really needed. Before I can buy the moniter i have to sell my old imac to help fund it and plus i dont have enough space for both. i have the 21.5 inch mid 2010 3.2ghz i3. I have had an add up on craigs list for about a week now $850 no bites so i dont know if im ever gonna sell it and i really want that moniter. You guys have any ideas? :think:

@adkap2 eBay ? :)

@mpg can you maybe tell me how your temperatures of your GPU is when you have like 10 Google Chrome tabs with Youtube videos and like 2-3 PSD files in photoshop + 1 or 2 other adobe apps? Because my XFX 6870 1GB is almost everytime around 50°C, sometimes 55°C and the fans get noisy :think:

Hey Coupz... my temps are roughly 50 C as well on my 5770 running 2+ monitors. I don't think you're too far from the norm there, although I feel your pain on the fan noise.

Usually the mix of apps I have open:
Pshop (6-10 files open at any time)
Illustrator (6-10 images open at a time)
Omnigraffle (6-10 wireframes open at a time)
Chrome (many tabs open)
VMware (Win 7 64-bit open/running all day)
Outlook, Powerpoint, PDF Reader, etc.
Plex (usually playing music while I work)

Now I should say that I have a modded graphics setup so noise from my GPU isn't an issue for me. I have a 5770 batmobile, modded with the passive heatsink from my 5770 Silent Cell, so I can have easier support and no issues with the 3 monitors, but also no noise from the cards fans. The 5770 only has a single DVI, single HDMI, and DP. I could always get 2 monitors working with that card, but the 3rd was always an effort in frustration adn I eventually went the mod route with the Batmobile 5770 so I have the dual DVI and DP setup with an active adapter now.

I'm admittedly a bit of a silence nut, so my whole rig is tweaked to keep the fan noise to a minimum. If you want a silent setup I'd recommend looking at a few apps that let you control your fan speeds in the gpu rom (usually need to do this in Windows), you could look for an aftermarket cooler/fan that might lessen the fan noise when it does spin up, or you could do something like I did where you go down the passive card route.

Hope that helps.

Well somebody wants my iMac for $850 which is kinda sad because a year and a half ago I spent $1500 on it and it's still in perfect condition :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back