Contribute
Register

Purchasing a moniter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought the Crossover 27Q from a seller on ebay about a week ago. Cost was $377 shipped and I received a perfect unit with no dead pixels.

The panel is an IPS LG with 2560x1440 resolution and I have to say the image is amazing compared to my much cheaper Asus P235 models it's sitting next to. The build quality on this particular manufacturer is pretty amazing for the price with a full metal frame and very minimalist bezel. I use a 27" mac monitor at work and I'm hard pressed to notice much difference in image quality gaing back and forth between work and hoem each day.

My gamble paid off and the Overclock forums have a ton of info I read through for a few weeks before diving in. Just a little feedback in case anyone else is looking for a good deal on 27" high res (vs. 1080 res) monitor at a good price.

adkap2 said:
So the ASUS VK278Q, HP 2711x, Viewsonic VX2753MH-LED, Samsung S27A350H and the Viewsonic VX2753MH are not recomended?
Not to say they are not recommended - Macworld.UK thinks highly of the Viewsonic VX2753MH as a replacement for the Apple dislpay (http://www.macworld.co.uk/digitallifest ... llchandate ). Just depends on what you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend.

So you want to buy a 27 inch display for 300$ and of course with 2560x1440 and Apple quality? :banghead:

You know that all 27 inch display below 700$ have 1920x1080, which is stupid at that screen size?
And don't argument to me with that Korea thing, if UPS or IPS brakes that display, you'r fu***d up. And they have like mostly dead pixels. Good monitors costs money and a 999€ Apple Cinema Display is cheap if you compare them against Eizo's!

Go with a 23-24 inch 1920x1080 and you'll be fine. This resolution at 3 inches more is crap!

And for what do you need your display? Gaming? Office? Designing?(designing couldn't be, in that case you would ask for display around 1000€).

I am a heavy gamer on windows and would like to get into photo editing on Mac more. So I guess your right I need 1440x2560 resolution my dad has that on his iMac and he says he would never go back to 1920x1080 for a 27 inch. So I know it's kinda a gamble I really don't want to have to deal with dead pixels, broken moniter etc but I think my best bet is to go with the crossover on eBay if it's actually a great moniter.

I just noticed on the crossover the response time was 6ms and on the Asus it was 2 ms. So is that a big deal for a heavy gamer? But besides that the crossover looks like a safe purchase and the seller got 98%. positive this looks like a good deal right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CROSSOVER-27Q-L ... 7148wt_803

Just to respond to Coupz...

Check out http://www.overclock.net/t/1232496/cros ... r-club/940 for reviews from people who have actually bought a monitor and provided their feedback on quality. There are pics in the threads for the Crossover models and other brands that show the panels themselves aren't 'like' the LG displays Apple/Dell use, they are the same models albeit rated less than A+ (A or A- meaning the may have <5 stuck.or dead pixels). My unit has 0 dead/stuck pixels and in general the feedback for the Crossovers and the sellers who are importing them seem to be getting better with many sellers now guaranteeing o dead pixels and prescreening the displays before shipment.

As I said I actually bought one of these so I'm not talking out of ignorance here and I acknowledge the gamble, but frankly I saved over $600 on a Cinema display and the build quality on this monitor is excellent. It's a solid aluminum shell, with a very minimalist bezel (I even removed the logo in about 5 minutes so now the bezel is pristine black), and I ordered the model without the glass face and actually prefer it to the highly reflective Cinema Display I use at work. After calibration there is no perceptible difference in daily use between them.

Again there are obviously caveats to what I offered as advice based on my experience, but if the OP or anyone else is a) interested in a panel that's much higher quality that any TN panel out there, b) wants the resolution/quality of a Cinema Display, and c) is looking for something that's significantly lower cost than an Apple display, then they should at least consider these. If you are really worried the seller won't handle damages responsibly then obviously don't go this route, but every seller I've dealt with was extremely responsive to even small inquiries.

If you believe that you can't save money with alternatives to Apple hardware by shopping around, building it yourself, then why hang out on a site dedicated to that very principle? I know my hack rig runs circles around every mac pro I've ever used at work for less than half the cost, all sitting in a beautiful G5 case I thoroughly enjoyed modding myself, and this display is on par with my work Cinema Display, again at less than half the price.

If the buying advice isn't useful no problem, but let's try to give the OP actual facts and options to aid their buying decision instead of statements of disbelief about the dangers of potentially going the non-Apple route.

mpg thank you for your feedback. I don't say, that you should only buy Apple Products (which a recommend to everyone who has not enough time and don't want to play around with a hackintosh), but when it comes to quality and service for example when you have 2 years after your purchase a damage, them Apple's customer service is definitely one of the best.
I've heard couple of times about these cheap Korean IPS displays, but for me personally, the risk of getting a Display (which is shipped around the world and can be damaged there) is too high. And I don't think that a normal user who is just surfing and gaming needs a 2560x1440. For these kind of work, you can easily go with a 1920x1080 resolution.

But if you are really working with your machine (developer, producer, designer), then this big resolution is a pretty helpfull thing. I'm a freelance webdesigner and I'm really really happy, that I bought the Apple Cinema Display 27". There were couple of reasons for me to pay more and get this Display:

• It has this beautiful resolution of 2560x1440.
  • It has IPS panel.
  • It has the known Apple Quality.
  • It has the Apple guarantee and service.
  • It is (for me) the Display with the best design.
  • It is glossy. (Yes, that was important for me too!

And I'm willing to pay more to get a good quality product. I would also buy a Mac Pro, if they were updated continuously and would give us customers the chance, to customize it without huge amount of money. I mean, look how much a GPU for a actual Mac Pro costs at Apple and look what this GPU costs at your local store.
An iMac is a All-In-One product which has awesome power for the parts which are built in and I recommend everyone, who don't knows so much about hardware to handle a hackintosh (and don't want it to just "work" if something new has been released). I know, my hackintosh also "just works" but if there is a big update like 10.7.4, some people get problems and if you have an iMac, you don't have this problem.

PS: I bought my Apple Cinema Display 27" used, it was 2 months old, no scratches, no yellow stitch, no dead pixels for more then 300€ less then the original price. If I wouldn't have found this one, I would have bought a new one from Apple. Because this Display is worth the money, if you compare it to good Eizo's.

Yes, there are cheaper alternatives like a Dell UltraSharp 27" (which has the same resolution), but it is not glossy and has a pretty aggresive Antiglossy-coating (Google has many links about this problem).

mpg you saved 600$, I'm happy that you really saved that money and got a Display which has no dead pixels or other problems. But, for me, the risk of dead pixels is unacceptable. And I've read at a forum, that one person had like 4 dead pixels and the reseller said, it is still acceptable for them if there are not more then 5 dead pixels. I couldn't live with even 1 dead pixel. :)
Another person said, that the Display has really bad lightning and the differences between Display parts (left upper corner to right bottom corner) is pretty high, which is also not acceptable for me.

So if you're happy with your purchase, I'm happy for you too ;)
But for me, the risks are too high. ;)

mpg said:
Just to respond to Coupz...

Check out http://www.overclock.net/t/1232496/cros ... r-club/940 for reviews from people who have actually bought a monitor and provided their feedback on quality. There are pics in the threads for the Crossover models and other brands that show the panels themselves aren't 'like' the LG displays Apple/Dell use, they are the same models albeit rated less than A+ (A or A- meaning the may have <5 stuck.or dead pixels). My unit has 0 dead/stuck pixels and in general the feedback for the Crossovers and the sellers who are importing them seem to be getting better with many sellers now guaranteeing o dead pixels and prescreening the displays before shipment.

As I said I actually bought one of these so I'm not talking out of ignorance here and I acknowledge the gamble, but frankly I saved over $600 on a Cinema display and the build quality on this monitor is excellent. It's a solid aluminum shell, with a very minimalist bezel (I even removed the logo in about 5 minutes so now the bezel is pristine black), and I ordered the model without the glass face and actually prefer it to the highly reflective Cinema Display I use at work. After calibration there is no perceptible difference in daily use between them.

Again there are obviously caveats to what I offered as advice based on my experience, but if the OP or anyone else is a) interested in a panel that's much higher quality that any TN panel out there, b) wants the resolution/quality of a Cinema Display, and c) is looking for something that's significantly lower cost than an Apple display, then they should at least consider these. If you are really worried the seller won't handle damages responsibly then obviously don't go this route, but every seller I've dealt with was extremely responsive to even small inquiries.

If you believe that you can't save money with alternatives to Apple hardware by shopping around, building it yourself, then why hang out on a site dedicated to that very principle? I know my hack rig runs circles around every mac pro I've ever used at work for less than half the cost, all sitting in a beautiful G5 case I thoroughly enjoyed modding myself, and this display is on par with my work Cinema Display, again at less than half the price.

If the buying advice isn't useful no problem, but let's try to give the OP actual facts and options to aid their buying decision instead of statements of disbelief about the dangers of potentially going the non-Apple route.

Can you link the exact monitor you bought? How did you order it with/without the glass plane?

mpg, im looking at getting the crossover 27q myself, kinda torn between the glass and non glass version though (i dont want pivot though).

is there any sleep issues with the monitor?
how does the monitor handle shutdowns etc? ive read that some of these monitors have an issue where the monitor needs to be on before the pc is turned on, otherwise the pc has to be restarted. is that the case with the crossover?
how is the quality of the plastics on the bezel? i like the idea of the glass one as its flat, but if the bezel isnt too protruding i might change my mind.

overall, how do you find it. any regrets? any niggling issues?

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back