Contribute
Register

Pulled the trigger on LGA2011 3930k, first Hackintosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well apple's basically given a big middle finger to all the mac pro fans.

The "new" Mac Pros have 4/8 memory slots for the single/dual machines and "new" processors that are STILL socket 1366 and essentially identical to the old chips.

So no sleep or power management support any time soon. They didn't even update the iMacs.

jadawan said:
Congrats Chris! So you totally inspired me to pull the trigger as well. I have a created very similar system. I have a question regarding the processor with overclocking and hyperthreading. Could you perhaps point me in the right direction for overclocking that CPU stably or share your numbers?

My CPU shows up as 3.2 GHz Unknown in System info. Not sure if it should have the name there. Also when you open CPU usage in the activity monitor, do only the six cores show activity, or does it show all active when hyperthreading is working?

Cheers!

Vince

Welcome to hackintosh world my friend, you must read and read and read some more.

Add these lines to your SMBIOS.PLIST in the EXTRA folder.

<key>SMcputype</key>
<string>1281</string>

This will make your cpu appear as a 6 core xeon.

Enjoy!

subaro0o said:
Welcome to hackintosh world my friend, you must read and read and read some more.

Add these lines to your SMBIOS.PLIST in the EXTRA folder.

<key>SMcputype</key>
<string>1281</string>

This will make your cpu appear as a 6 core xeon.

Enjoy!

Thanks subar0o!

bump how is that CPU treating you i am thinking of getting that CPU and a supporting mobo

jerdav2009 said:
bump how is that CPU treating you i am thinking of getting that CPU and a supporting mobo

I can't speak for the others, but it's been treating me nicely. With an SSD for the main drive, it has been screamingly fast. The only thing that I haven't been able to work out is having my 3 other internal drives show up as internal drives. They show up as external. Not the end of the world, but kind of frustrating. Everything else has been fantastic.

I have been really contemplating a LGA2011 build. There is a pair of ES Xeon's on ebay that would give me 16 cores! MUAHAHAHA

Only problem is I would have to buy a $500 motherboard, and still wouldn't have it fully working. Not a huge deal as I never sleep my machines though.

16 cores would be pretty awesome though.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back