Contribute
Register

Pulled the trigger on LGA2011 3930k, first Hackintosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Well, I just wanted to thank the folks here for all the help deciding what system to get, and all the info in this awesome forum. I couldn't wait for the new macpros to come out so... Here is what I just purchased, hope I can get it all working, I do have my doubts about the Kepler 680, but will see how it goes.

System:
LGA 2011 - Intel i7 6 core 3930k
Corsair Vengance Blue 32gb (8x4gb) Dual Channel (not sure if I should've bought Quad Channel instead here).
Asus P9x79-Pro
Antec 920 Liquid Cooling system
Corsair AX850 power supply
Corsair 600 graphite white case
EVGA Kepler Geforce GTX680 2.5gb GPU. 1500+ Cuda Cores!
Crucial M4 SSD 256gb

I realize I won't get power management for a while, but that's ok, if I can get 20k plus geek bench, I'll be happy. And if I need to temporarily run another GPU until this one's supported, will do that happily while using this one in windows.

Thanks and will cross my fingers!
Chris

The GTX 600 series isn't supported by Mac OS X, as of yet. As far as I know, there's no way to get the GTX 680 working with full resolution and graphics acceleration (QE/CI and whatnot).

TheSmartGuy said:
The GTX 600 series isn't supported by Mac OS X, as of yet. As far as I know, there's no way to get the GTX 680 working with full resolution and graphics acceleration (QE/CI and whatnot).

Thanks, I found this out, and returned it, bought a GTX 570 instead until it does come out. Also, changed the memory to quad channel LP, and cooler to H100

System came together nicely though, just trying to figure out how to OC it without windows installed.

Chris

emergent said:
TheSmartGuy said:

Thanks, I found this out, and returned it, bought a GTX 570 instead until it does come out. Also, changed the memory to quad channel LP, and cooler to H100

System came together nicely though, just trying to figure out how to OC it without windows installed.

Chris

Where were you able to actually buy a 680?

wfj said:
emergent said:
TheSmartGuy said:

Chris

Where were you able to actually buy a 680?
Bought the last one at Fry's. Thought it was taken back, the runner hast done it yet, it's actually still at the office! What's weird is it only cost me $499.00 Fry's gets them in at least once a week, you use have to call and hold one, or buy it online at frys.com

How did the install go? Is OSX running fairly well? I'm interested in building a similar system to yours

KevFlobber said:
How did the install go? Is OSX running fairly well? I'm interested in building a similar system to yours

All extremely solid, stable OC'ed to 4.2 ghz, idles from 19c to 43c, full prime95 at 60c-67c. Had to get USB bluetooth and wifi, but no biggie, they were under $10 ea. Trendmicro makes a mac compatible wifi, and sabrent made the blue tooth. Though sometime when I play bluetooth music, it slows down the USB wifi. Just noticing. I would rather also have the noctua cooler, as it's probably heaps quieter than the H100 for not that much difference in cooling. The system is faster than a 3.2 8 core though with the GTX 570 HD in it. Will post soon about it.

Cheers,

Chris

Good to here! May wait until WWDC to see if there are any hints of new Macs, if not, I'll probably built a very similar setup

KevFlobber said:
Good to here! May wait until WWDC to see if there are any hints of new Macs, if not, I'll probably built a very similar setup

Well, even if there are new macs, they will cost at least thrice as much, for probably the same system!
Chris

Congrats Chris! So you totally inspired me to pull the trigger as well. I have a created very similar system. I have a question regarding the processor with overclocking and hyperthreading. Could you perhaps point me in the right direction for overclocking that CPU stably or share your numbers?

My CPU shows up as 3.2 GHz Unknown in System info. Not sure if it should have the name there. Also when you open CPU usage in the activity monitor, do only the six cores show activity, or does it show all active when hyperthreading is working?

Cheers!

Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back