Graphics
HD7950
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey peeps been reading forums a little while now and have started to accumulate some bits and bobs but before I embark on this journey I would like a little advice from your knowledgable selves. I wish to use the original mac psu housing and would like your thoughts on the easiest psu to disembowel for reusing. I would require a 800w or higher psu and modular (want it clean) but I would like to retain the modular connectors to splice into the top of the mac psu housing I suppose I could live with a semi modular design so long as there are not too many captive cables.

Cheers for for any advice in advance

In general you should be able to hide most of the cables running up. I managed to hide most behind the motherboard.

If you use 800W I suggest you want to run a high performance GPU or even maybe two. This means that the PSU needs proper cooling in high loads (less cooling required with high efficiency PSUs). Because of that I am not a fan of using little 60mm fans for such loads. You should think about using a 120mm fan to push air into the G5 PSU case.

Hi sorry to sound like I am not grateful for the advice but I knowwhy I need the wattage that I want thats not the problem that I am having sorry. The help i need is determining the make or brand of PSU that is easiest to dismantel and hack up to put inside the MAC G5 psu casing i.e. like this chappy http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g5/82517-g5-psu-mod.html

I just modded a Seasonic X modular PSU. It's easy to dismantle, but one of the problems I had was the space inside the G5 PSU case.
Because I wanted to use a 120mm fan, it had to be free of electronic parts directly under the fan. That is reducing the available space in the case!
Another "problem" was the use of two circuit boards in the PSU. The main one and a smaller one for the modular connectors. I had to extend cables between these two circuit boards.

A non modular PSU might be easier because of less circuit boards and less conenctors. Of course it will have more cables to work with.

I don't think that you can break it down an easy PSU, because most PSUs are build the same and have the same supplier/manufacturer.

IMG_1620.jpg

I think then maybe a modular psu might be the way to go I was going to keep both the 60mm fans as an exhaust and add a 120 or 140 mm fan as an intake. Has anyone had experience of the corsair hx series psu's from what I have been looking at on jonny guru it's either that a fractal design unit or xfx semi modular any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back