is single slot
had two dvi outputs
is available in the shops now.

thanks!
maybe post this in buying advice

o_O Look where this thread is eels :lol:
As his own thread

jimdrake said:
otherwise where does it fall short compared to the jetway?

- Well the chipset heatsink may or may not be tall enough to make installation of the PCI-X cards difficult. If its too high it would probably need to be replaced by a thinner heatsink.

-There are also no onboard video ports, granted the ones on the jetway are not working yet as far as i can tell. but if we can get them working that can free up a pciex16 slot or provide even more video ports which is cool.

- one advantage is the new board has built in usb 3.0 so that is one less add-on card needed.

- it only has 1 instead of 2 lan cards, so some ppl might need to use one of the PCI(e) slots for that.

When i put together the jetway systems i really deck them out with all the modern i/o, etc and because i cant get onboard video working i use every slot (with an HD4 system). It seems likely i could have a near identical result with the gigabyte board but would be limited to HD3 due to using one of the PCI slots for an extra LAN port. Still at this price and given the better compatibility and community support gigabyte enjoys i think this might be the best way to go now. Now i just need someone to ask me to help them upgrade and i'll know just how well this works.

g\

genzai said:
jimdrake said:
otherwise where does it fall short compared to the jetway?

- Well the chipset heatsink may or may not be tall enough to make installation of the PCI-X cards difficult. If its too high it would probably need to be replaced by a thinner heatsink.

yeah, the pictures make it look like you would have to modify the motherboard or your pro tools cards!

-There are also no onboard video ports, granted the ones on the jetway are not working yet as far as i can tell. but if we can get them working that can free up a pciex16 slot or provide even more video ports which is cool.

i can use the onboard video with lion and chimera. but not with chameleon.

but i need to use chameleon because chimera is broken for pro tools and lion.

- one advantage is the new board has built in usb 3.0 so that is one less add-on card needed.

- it only has 1 instead of 2 lan cards, so some ppl might need to use one of the PCI(e) slots for that.

but i only see one of the network ports on the jetway as working with mac os?

When i put together the jetway systems i really deck them out with all the modern i/o, etc and because i cant get onboard video working i use every slot (with an HD4 system). It seems likely i could have a near identical result with the gigabyte board but would be limited to HD3 due to using one of the PCI slots for an extra LAN port. Still at this price and given the better compatibility and community support gigabyte enjoys i think this might be the best way to go now. Now i just need someone to ask me to help them upgrade and i'll know just how well this works.

g\

what do you normally use for graphics?

I am using chimera fine with lion on 3 Jetway systems. what problem are you having with it?
Are you saying you can use the onoard video by itself or only as extra ports in addition to a gfx card?

but i only see one of the network ports on the jetway as working with mac os?

I have both network ports working very well.

That totally depends on the needs of the system. If noise is not an issue i use a 4 port 6850 that is single slot and works OOB with all 4 ports, really nice (but it has a fan).
If i need something silent i use the gigabyte dual dvi 8600gt which does not have any fans, is single slot, and works well; or i use a gt520 without a fan (usually dvi/hdmi).

g\

genzai said:

I am using chimera fine with lion on 3 Jetway systems. what problem are you having with it?

Which version of chimera are you using exactly?

With chimera and lion i have always had kernel panic on digidal.kext

Are you saying you can use the onoard video by itself or only as extra ports in addition to a gfx card?
i would like to use only the on board graphics (or a graphics card that just works!)

[quote:1mbgwzze]but i only see one of the network ports on the jetway as working with mac os?

I have both network ports working very well.[/quote:1mbgwzze]
what did you do? I found one of the lan ports to work direct with mac os, just by adding a device id somewhere. I found the other one to not be supported by mac os. Maybe this has changed?

[quote:1mbgwzze]

That totally depends on the needs of the system. If noise is not an issue i use a 4 port 6850 that is single slot and works OOB with all 4 ports, really nice (but it has a fan).
If i need something silent i use the gigabyte dual dvi 8600gt which does not have any fans, is single slot, and works well; or i use a gt520 without a fan (usually dvi/hdmi).

g\[/quote:1mbgwzze]

I have been looking around at info for the 6850 cards. It seems there are LOADS of threads about framebuffers and editing kexts here and there to get them working. This is why i am scared to buy one. Which EXACTLY do you use?

The 8600gt is no longer available in shops? I would like to avoid ebay.

The gt520 i think needs something installed to do with open cl so for me does not count as working "out of the box"

Why does graphics have to be the worst part about it all?!

Thanks!

jimdrake said:

What do you have working with chimera now? because every time i tried to use onboard video without a gfx card installed i got kernel panic. I have not tried using it yet as additional ports with a gfx card installed. what did you have working?

Which version of chimera are you using exactly?
With chimera and lion i have always had kernel panic on digidal.kext

I have used chimera versions 1.8 through 1.9.2. i usually update whenever one is available. The DigiDAL panic is not chimera related. Its related to building caches on boot. You must use the UseKernelCache=Yes in boot plist. I wrote about this thoroughly in the jetway thread.

i would like to use only the on board graphics (or a graphics card that just works!)

Sure, so would I, but what did you already have working onboard with chimera? because i had never gotten that working yet.

what did you do? I found one of the lan ports to work direct with mac os, just by adding a device id somewhere. I found the other one to not be supported by mac os. Maybe this has changed?
One of them works OOB (or with a minor edit, i can't remember) the other one works well with an additional kext. I can send you my package of kexts, etc if that would be helpful. just PM me.

I have been looking around at info for the 6850 cards. It seems there are LOADS of threads about framebuffers and editing kexts here and there to get them working. This is why i am scared to buy one. Which EXACTLY do you use?

8600gt has to be bought on ebay. There are LOTS of issues with certain 6850 cards, the only one i know for sure works OOB, because i have used it twice now and its perfect is this one:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=58712

The gt520 i think needs something installed to do with open cl so for me does not count as working "out of the box"
I think your right about that but since the openCL fix is built in to multibeast its super easy to fix.

g\

jimdrake said:
I have been looking around at info for the 6850 cards. It seems there are LOADS of threads about framebuffers and editing kexts here and there to get them working. This is why i am scared to buy one.

Hi Drake I have 2 hacks with on 10.7.3 with a Gigabyte HD 6850 on both machines. They work oob. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=3630#ov
If you want to used it for dual monitors one HDMI and top DVI
have to edit the org.chameleon.Boot in extra.
Add this
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Bulrushes</string>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>

this is my complete boot.plist the same in both machines

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Bulrushes</string>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

i have conected 2 Acers Led 23' monitors.
Haven't tried the bottom DVI conector

Good Luck!!!!

I just wanted to put a note that I finally tested the jetway board & i7-2600k with just the internal graphics (dvi and hdmi), 16gb ram, mSATA SSD, firewire pcie card, hd4 accel and PT10.2, OS 10.7.4.

Massive help from san francisco!

The only negative i think is that we're still using nullcpu. And we can only ditch that after some probably heroic dsdt editing!

More info to come.

jimdrake said:
I just wanted to put a note that I finally tested the jetway board & i7-2600k with just the internal graphics (dvi and hdmi), 16gb ram, mSATA SSD, firewire pcie card, hd4 accel and PT10.2, OS 10.7.4.

Massive help from san francisco!

The only negative i think is that we're still using nullcpu. And we can only ditch that after some probably heroic dsdt editing!

More info to come.

Thats very awesome Drake!!!! Good job!!!!
You have a guide. I have been trying but the HD3000 gives me kp and booting with 8400gs boot well with no graphic support. But after installing the latest Chimera and boot options, I got kp.
Thanks in advance.

just an update

i have been getting some graphics glitches and youtube and vimeo do not play so maybe hd3000 is not happening :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back