Contribute
Register

Proposed ProTools HD Sandy Bridge Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
After months of reading this thread I finally built a Jetway i7 2600k system with 16GB and the recently recommended GeoForce 8600 GT.

Then came the time to install SL and I just wondered if it was really worth all the hassle and hours of tinkering... so I tried Win 7 instead. Plugged in my HD3 boards, installed PT 9 HD and it just worked! Perfectly! No tinkering. (Must "Run as Administrator").

Didn't even need to update or reconfigure the Jetway's Bios - default settings worked fine.

I Googled "Windows 7 vs. OSX PT RTAS" and found this link:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-co ... ndows.html

Win 7 apparently kills OSX as regards RTAS efficiency and it seems a few veteran PTHD Mac users are actually switching over to Win 7. Interesting.

So, I finally have my Pro Tools HD3 Sandy Bridge Hack! Yay!

:headbang:

Schnabelmann thank you for that easy guide you saved my life!!! After a weekend trying different methods from this and other post, last night finally got my Jetway NAF92-Q67 working solid. This board rocks!!! I sold my old faithfull Sabertooth X58 because I needed more pci to upgrade to Hd2. My multibeast settings PCIRoot fix, Mac Pro 3,1, Fake SMC, Null CPU, 3rd party SATA (to get rid of the orange color hard drive), 64-bit Apple Boot Screen. Used the viahda kext for sound. For the ethernet I edit the Intel82574L kext, thanks to Jimdrake
Ethernet

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Intel82574L.kext/Contents/Info.plist
open in Text

Find the line that looks like this:
Code:
<string>0x104b8086 0x10f68086</string>

And change it to this:
Code:
<string>0x10D38086 0x104b8086 0x10f68086</string>

Then close and save, run multibeast system Utilities.

And thats all folks!!!!

Please DO NOT use a pre-edited DSDT. It is supper easy now to make your own using DSDT Fixer. Once you use a DSDT for YOUR setup, most problems will go away.

Pretty good guide a couple of pages back.

Hey Everyone.

Im in Sydney Australia, the studio i work at is looking to build a hack, preferably i5-i7.

We need 3 PCI slots. This forum pretty much touches on exactly what we need. But I'm finding it impossible to find the suggested motherboards here in Australia. The models are all either outdated or not stocked here.

does anyone have advice? know of a use-able motherboard that is EASY to find??

Cheers.

zongbean said:
Hey Everyone.

Im in Sydney Australia, the studio i work at is looking to build a hack, preferably i5-i7.

We need 3 PCI slots. This forum pretty much touches on exactly what we need. But I'm finding it impossible to find the suggested motherboards here in Australia. The models are all either outdated or not stocked here.

does anyone have advice? know of a use-able motherboard that is EASY to find??

Cheers.

I got mine from Newegg last week they have it on stock.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813153216
good luck!!!

Hi Everyone..
Where i live its impossible to find the jetway mobo just 1 or 2 newer models with 1 pci slots. I read the thread but most recommend mobos its impossible to find here. What i must pay attention to cause some mobos have 3 pci´s but i have no idea whether it functions. I will build this for a friend he has Pro Tools HD Pci and we need 3 pci ports this also funktions.

This models can i buy here..
GIGABYTE P61-S3-B3 H61 LGA1155 DDR3-1333Mhz

or
ASUS P8H61/USB3 R3 H61 LGA1155 DDR3-1333

or
MSI P67A-C43 (B3) P67 LGA1155 DDR3-2133
(Maybe this mobo because 3 32-bit v2.3 master PCI bus slots- Support 3.3v/5v PCI bus interface)

Thanks beforehand

cinrec said:
This models can i buy here..
GIGABYTE P61-S3-B3 H61 LGA1155 DDR3-1333Mhz

or
ASUS P8H61/USB3 R3 H61 LGA1155 DDR3-1333

or
MSI P67A-C43 (B3) P67 LGA1155 DDR3-2133
(Maybe this mobo because 3 32-bit v2.3 master PCI bus slots- Support 3.3v/5v PCI bus interface)

None of those are going to work because they are using either p67/1 or h67/1 chipsets. It has been well documented in this thread that these chipsets, which lack native PCI support will not work properly with the Pro Tools HD PCI cards. The only modern intel chipsets with native PCI are the q67 and b65. You will have to find a board with one of those chipsets, or better yet find a way to order and ship the jetway from USA.

good luck,
g\

Ok many thanks for the prompt answer.. I will try to order from USA cause q67 and b65 chipsets is also not availible i think.

Thanks..

FYI Protoolers,
This is technically now an Ivy Bridge related post and so maybe needs a new topic but this motherboard may be the next thing for PCI-X HD users:

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product ... id=4152#ov

not 100% ideal features compared to the jetway but will likely be very compatible and easier to setup, though the layout may require some fiddling. Plus you can use the very latest CPUs. (well, ok you can throw an IVB CPU in the jetway too in theory) but this is less than half the price as well.

g\

genzai said:
FYI Protoolers,
This is technically now an Ivy Bridge related post and so maybe needs a new topic but this motherboard may be the next thing for PCI-X HD users:

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product ... id=4152#ov

not 100% ideal features compared to the jetway but will likely be very compatible and easier to setup, though the layout may require some fiddling. Plus you can use the very latest CPUs. (well, ok you can throw an IVB CPU in the jetway too in theory) but this is less than half the price as well.

g\
very interesting.

this would require a single width graphics card.

otherwise where does it fall short compared to the jetway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back