HD4000
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Not sure if this is the right place, if not, Mods please move to desired location.

I am worried about my CPU temps. At idle, according to HW Monitor (included with Multibeast) the temp reading is around 40c. I say around because I get different readings on each core with a variance of about 5-7c. When converting a bluray rip from MKV to MP4 using Handbrake, the readings are around 65-70c. This has me worried that it is pretty high. Am I correct to be worried? Converting stuff like this is one of the main uses for this machine so I want to make sure that I don't damage something.

Oh, specs are in order:
Supercase MJ-16 mATX case
Core i5-3570k (stock cooler)
8gb 1600mhz ram
Crucial M4 64gb SSD
WD 1tb storage drive

I am wondering if getting a Arctic Freezer Pro or something might be a good investment. Please chime in with your thoughts. Thanks!

Anyone with any thoughts on this? I'd like to know if it is stupid to push my system with encoding until I can get a proper CPU cooler or not. Also, recommendations for a good CPU cooler for a mATX case would be wonderful as well. Thanks guys!

What are the ambient temps in the room?

Also, make sure all of the plastic pins are inserted fully through the 4 holes in the motherboard.

I know that the temps are higher for Ivy Bridge than they were for Sandy but I cannot tell you if thats right on spot. What are you using to monitor these temps?

I'm using HWMonitor that was included in the latest version of MultiBeast. I've done some more looking and it doesn't seem that 70c during hard work is too bad for a stock cooler. I will still end up getting a good aftermarket cooler tho just because it will be doing encoding stuff at night that will take hours upon hours.

Also, I used my Macbook Pro to do a comparison and it's 2Ghz i7 reaches 90c when encoding, so I think 70c isn't too bad!

I'm using HWMonitor that was included in the latest version of MultiBeast. I've done some more looking and it doesn't seem that 70c during hard work is too bad for a stock cooler. I will still end up getting a good aftermarket cooler tho just because it will be doing encoding stuff at night that will take hours upon hours.

Also, I used my Macbook Pro to do a comparison and it's 2Ghz i7 reaches 90c when encoding, so I think 70c isn't too bad!

Ah gotcha, also keep in mind notebook core temps will generally be higher because of the cramped space and cooling solutions (Especially in a MacBook).

My i5 2500 gets to around 59c when running Geekbench but I have the Cooler Master 212 + heatsink installed. Before it got to around 67 - 68c.
Thats about as much comparison as I can give ya though and I know its an apples to oranges kinda thing with one be IB and another SB.

I think that is quite high as my Nehalem Core i7 only gets max at around 65˚C during 100% load and that is overclocked to 3.6Ghz with a voltage bumped. Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge suppose to have much lower temps compared to Nehalem.

CPU temps

The temps you state are fine for your processor. If you are going to take advantage of that K, unlocked multiplier, you want to have a good aftermarket cooler. Doesn't have to be expensive, but something capable of 150 watts or more. You should easily hit 4.2ghz without doing anything but setting the multiplier and power limits. But don't do it without a upgraded cooler. I've had intel processors stable in the 80c, but I prefer 60c for a target running prime95 torture test. Should heat your processor as hard as anything ever will.

Last night I put some new thermal paste on because I didn't trust the stuff that came with the processor. In putting on the intel cooler back on it went on very well and snug, just like the first time. I didn't notice any drop at all in temps but I wasn't expecting to either.

Anazlu - Thats the biggest issue right now. The AC in my apartment is terrible so IF its on, the coolest it will get in there is 78F. Needless to say, I am looking forward to winter time here in the mountains.

Shiitaki - I don't plan on overclocking this processor but I do plan on getting a good aftermarket cooler. Since it's going to be crunching data at 100% for hours at a time I think its well worth the investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back