AMD Radeon HD 6970M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello all,

I'am new and already requesting your help because it will be my first Hackintosh and I have specific requirements. I mean that I would not be able to follow the Gygabyte recommendation... yeah I know... why would I like to make my life so complicated.

I need horses power with Davinci Resolve and Smoke, in other words I need CUDA POWAAA, it means that I need to put GTX 580 as much I can. And the winner is ASUS MAXIMUS V EXTREME or P8Z77-V PREMIUM

I need also Thunderbolt because I have a Pegasus R6 12TB RAID system and a Blackmagic Design Ultrastudio 3D video card currently working with my iMac.

Maybe you will find my questions a little but stupid but I would like be sure and ensure that everything will have a chance to work.

Following this thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/252-10-8-2-brings-complete-native-support-nvidia-gf100-gf110-gk104.html

I understand that the GTX 580 is fully supported by OSX 10.8.2 but does it mean that the CUDA is also fully supported for the GTX 580 ? I think yes because I can see from this URL http://www.barefeats.com/rogue02.html that the GTX 580+ is recognized by CUDA-Z, a OSX app. Somebody can confirm that it is actually really improving the performance of CUDA accelerated apps ? like Davinci Resolve.

Does somebody already patch this motherboard with http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/43486-asus-1155-patched-bios-repository.html or something else ? I understand that without this patch it wont work properly.

Does the thunderbolt is well recognized by OSX ?

I can deal with it if there is no wifi or sound recognized from the motherboard

Here is the config I would like to build

ASUS MAXIMUS V EXTREME or P8Z77-V PREMIUM ??
i7 3770k
32 Go RAM

3 x GTX 580 -> GPU
1 x QUADRO 4000 -> GUI

************ EDIT ****************

I am wondering if I could use a Corsair AX1200i 80PLUS Platinum

and add 2 x GTX 690 instead of 3 x 580 so I would have dual GPU by card and a quad GPU config with two card

LTO5 Tape archiver

+ BELKIN Thunderbolt Express Dock (I need it because my sound card is a MBOX pro 2 using firewire and I need firewire, I cannot use a thunderbolt to firewire adapter because my Ultrastudio does not allow to chain a thunderbolt equipment...)

The rest of the equipment will follow the february buying list for mac pro.

It will be a really good deal if it work because it will prevent me to buy a super expensive CUBIX PCI extender....

Thank you for your help.

I will write a guide if it works including some benchmark with Davinci resolve and Smoke 2013.

******** EDIT ********

I found this

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...mus-v-extreme-nvidia-gtx-680-ml-10-8-2-a.html

:)

ok, end of the dream. It seems there is no support for thunderbolt.

I am running Resolve lite & smoke 2013 on my hack :
The thunderbolt on ga-z77x-up5th is connected through Blackmagic mini monitor to HD-SDI broadcast monitor for fullscreen video out of Resolve lite.
Zotak 650AMP -2GB for GUI & 580ti for cuda - works!
Blackmagic output is not supported by Smoke!

ok, end of the dream. It seems there is no support for thunderbolt.

not sure. i haven't tested, but probably 10.8.3 brought it.
at least USB 3 ports are working natively if you use 10.8.3 installer, probably there is a progress with TB too.
I'm very courius too, but still don't have a hardware to test with, but will soon get one, and let you know.

I'm a Davinci user and I picked up a Ultrastudio Express as well as a GA-Z77X-UP5-TH motherboard. Thanks to Stork's guide I've got almost everything running except thunderbolt... So far I get a KP upon initial connection of the Ultrastudio. I thought perhaps I could connect my sonnettech express card adapter and switch my the Ultrastudio out for an MX02, but I get the same issue.

My new plan is to get a Decklink Studio and use the Ultrastudio Express with my laptop and a copy of Scopebox for scope monitoring.

Hey all,

Can anyone help me understanding that what Graphics Card should i use to make Autodesk Smoke 2013 and FCPX on my build.
GA B75M D3h
i5 3570k
Currently HD4000(distorting video very cartoonish"
1TB sata HDD 3 gb/s
RAM kingston 1600mhz 8gb

everything works fine but i dont know how should i make these application work on my hackintosh. Has anyone tried these application successfully ?????
please help.

thanks in advance.:)

I am running Resolve lite & smoke 2013 on my hack :
The thunderbolt on ga-z77x-up5th is connected through Blackmagic mini monitor to HD-SDI broadcast monitor for fullscreen video out of Resolve lite.
Zotak 650AMP -2GB for GUI & 580ti for cuda - works!
Blackmagic output is not supported by Smoke!

How do you seperate the 2 different GPUs as GUI and cuda(or rendering), respectively?

Is it an option in the program, or something you have to set up on a broader scale within the OS?

I am also building a Resolve/Smoke setup - I'm wondering how you managed to get dual GPU cards working properly?

I have a GT610 for display and a GTX680 for gpu power. 680 is in slot 1-16x and GT610 is slot 2-8x. However, I cannot get display out of the GT610. I can once the machine is up and running but then freezes. Do you know how to choose which graphics card is default on startup and not set to "auto" in the BIOS?

Current settings:
Display set to - PCI slots.

mobo- z77x-up5-th

Anything would help.

Thanks,

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back