Radeon R9 290X
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

I would like to know with what program exactly the ProBook installer was written as I might (very maybe) consider to take it over and (maybe) even rewrite it so that all kexts / patches are fetched from online resources dynamically and even create an offline installer as well (for hacks that do not have any kind of internet). The purpose of this is that it makes a hackintosh more accessible for people with these HP laptops.

But before I can take a peek, I will need to know what program has been used to create this installer application as I cannot find that anywhere. I searched the web already, but only found Apple proprietary 'Packager' app, is that what was used?

Hope to hear something :)

Wcool93

Hello,

I would like to know with what program exactly the ProBook installer was written as I might (very maybe) consider to take it over and (maybe) even rewrite it so that all kexts / patches are fetched from online resources dynamically and even create an offline installer as well (for hacks that do not have any kind of internet). The purpose of this is that it makes a hackintosh more accessible for people with these HP laptops.

But before I can take a peek, I will need to know what program has been used to create this installer application as I cannot find that anywhere. I searched the web already, but only found Apple proprietary 'Packager' app, is that what was used?

Hope to hear something :)

Wcool93

You would have to ask nguyenmac to know for sure which tools he was using...

But my guess would be Packages from Whitebox: http://s.sudre.free.fr/Packaging.html

Note: Besides the whole thing needing a re-write, the ACPI patching can be done in a much better way. I'm using Clover hotpatching and add-on SSDTs instead of having patched files in ACPI/patched. You can see WIP files here: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch

You would have to ask nguyenmac to know for sure which tools he was using...

But my guess would be Packages from Whitebox: http://s.sudre.free.fr/Packaging.html

Note: Besides the whole thing needing a re-write, the ACPI patching can be done in a much better way. I'm using Clover hotpatching and add-on SSDTs instead of having patched files in ACPI/patched. You can see WIP files here: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch

Thanks. That hot patching seems interesting, but when I do it I will continue the 'legacy' way for a while, whilst researching this method :) I'll send nguyenmac a PM regarding this ;)

Thanks. That hot patching seems interesting, but when I do it I will continue the 'legacy' way for a while, whilst researching this method :) I'll send nguyenmac a PM regarding this ;)

Using hotpatching will result in a massive simplification of PBI-CE...

Using hotpatching will result in a massive simplification of PBI-CE...

I guess it will. I need to look at it first to decide whether I can do this time wise (also because of the support that will be needed). Anyway, I will also be shortly experimenting with Swift at University, so perhaps I can spice some things up later on as well. But that all needs to be seen whether I can make it (I'm repeating this so others won't get the impression that I will continue it for sure).

Thanks again for your help. Sometimes I guess we would be nowhere without you (and others), providing such useful guides and such.

I guess it will. I need to look at it first to decide whether I can do this time wise (also because of the support that will be needed).

The support effort will be reduced because there is less possibility of user error (updating BIOS without repatching, forgetting to press F4, changing BIOS options without repatching, etc).

I've got it down to where the same set of kexts is installed no matter (there is only one audio kext, AppleHDA_ProBook.kext, that is patched for all audio codecs used by ProBook/EliteBook/ZBook), the set of SSDTs depend slightly on model (SSDT-USB*, SSDT-BATT*), and the config.plist depends on model (primarily graphics config/audio codec).

I didn't do any config.plist work for models with Nvidia/Radeon. The support there was never really working correctly, and participation amongst the community was low.

I may eventually write a guide that shows how to use my files at the repo. I'm a little disappointed in the PBI approach as people that use it don't have a clue after using it... they can't even do something as basic as mount their EFI partition. I prefer an approach similar to what I use for my u430, y50, Envy, BRIX guides. There is enough manual steps that people actually learn something in the process...

Anyway, I will also be shortly experimenting with Swift at University, so perhaps I can spice some things up later on as well. But that all needs to be seen whether I can make it (I'm repeating this so others won't get the impression that I will continue it for sure).

Thanks again for your help. Sometimes I guess we would be nowhere without you (and others), providing such useful guides and such.

Good luck...

The support effort will be reduced because there is less possibility of user error (updating BIOS without repatching, forgetting to press F4, changing BIOS options without repatching, etc).

I've got it down to where the same set of kexts is installed no matter (there is only one audio kext, AppleHDA_ProBook.kext, that is patched for all audio codecs used by ProBook/EliteBook/ZBook), the set of SSDTs depend slightly on model (SSDT-USB*, SSDT-BATT*), and the config.plist depends on model (primarily graphics config/audio codec).

I didn't do any config.plist work for models with Nvidia/Radeon. The support there was never really working correctly, and participation amongst the community was low.

I may eventually write a guide that shows how to use my files at the repo. I'm a little disappointed in the PBI approach as people that use it don't have a clue after using it... they can't even do something as basic as mount their EFI partition. I prefer an approach similar to what I use for my u430, y50, Envy, BRIX guides. There is enough manual steps that people actually learn something in the process...

Good luck...

First and second paragraph: Sounds really promising! I'm already sometimes taking a peek inside your repository for new changes ;)

Third paragraph: I fully understand that and I even did not miss my 'external' graphics card at all while driving 2 or 3 screens when developing (I do assume that you mean switchable graphics).

Fourth one: That... well, is an issue. I do want people to learn of it, but I know how to do all those steps and it is for that group (mainly) that I will try (if it all works out) to provide an easy 'automator' without doing it all manually (like after the BIOS chip was replaced on my motherboard, I had to do all those patching manually again). So, the main purpose is to reduce the time needed to get the system up and running (properly) and NOT for any other purpose (although that will happen one way or the other). Another way would be a few bash scripts, so only the more 'savvy' users can use the tools, but then I'm feeling that I'm ruling out other folks (something I'm not keen on doing).

So, yeah, there will be some 'general' questions, but I think that I will just point to one of your guides then (unless it's installer package related of course) if that's okay with you, so folks can (and will be more or less forced to) learn from your guides. I would be disappointed as well, seeing that you did many efforts to create documentation for beginners (and experts) alike and see it not used, that must be frustrating (I always find it is). I will of course then try to help where I can.

I really feel like I need to do something in return to make everyone's life easier here and I thought that an automatic process might help with that, because I can create something like that. I don't yet (fully) understand the more lower level stuff, but mostly I'm able to teach it myself so I will know (thanks to many like you). And thanks for wishing me luck. I hope I can do it. Just had 3 exams previous week and 3 or 5 more in the coming 3 months. Current week is a 'buffer'. This enables other students who are behind to catch up (which has a benefit for all that have finished classes for this quarter:)).

Last edited:
(I do assume that you mean switchable graphics).

No. Certain models are discrete-only (no Intel IGPU).

Fourth one: That... well, is an issue. I do want people to learn of it, but I know how to do all those steps and it is for that group (mainly) that I will try (if it all works out) to provide an easy 'automator' without doing it all manually (like after the BIOS chip was replaced on my motherboard, I had to do all those patching manually again). So, the main purpose is to reduce the time needed to get the system up and running (properly) and NOT for any other purpose (although that will happen one way or the other). Another way would be a few bash scripts, so only the more 'savvy' users can use the tools, but then I'm feeling that I'm ruling out other folks (something I'm not keen on doing).

You might take a look at my guides for the u430/etc... I use a few bash scripts with specific procedures for using them. It has worked out pretty well so far. And people come away with more knowledge than they would using pkg installers...

I don't want to discourage you from continuing on with PBI. Just noted that users do not come away with any skills. Skills, in my opinion, they should acquire if they are going to use a hackintosh.

So, yeah, there will be some 'general' questions, but I think that I will just point to one of your guides then (unless it's installer package related of course) if that's okay with you, so folks can (and will be more or less forced to) learn from your guides.

Sounds fine. Depending on the content of your new PBI, I may never do an alternate guide (it takes time to write such guides, and even more time to support them).

No. Certain models are discrete-only (no Intel IGPU).

You might take a look at my guides for the u430/etc... I use a few bash scripts with specific procedures for using them. It has worked out pretty well so far. And people come away with more knowledge than they would using pkg installers...

I don't want to discourage you from continuing on with PBI. Just noted that users do not come away with any skills. Skills, in my opinion, they should acquire if they are going to use a hackintosh.

Sounds fine. Depending on the content of your new PBI, I may never do an alternate guide (it takes time to write such guides, and even more time to support them).

I'm still a student (halfway second year), so I also need to learn (especially about how people create patches for Clover and how they discover them in the first place), but I am willing to learn it (may it take some time) and, some way or another, pass it on to others.

I also want to thank you for letting me link to your guides then, but I hope that it will not result in you 'drowning' in user requests (hence that I will try to help where I can). That previous statement was also one reason I wanted to create / continue the installer way of setting up the system.

Skills are indeed very important. No argument about that. Maybe I will just provide a set of tools which make the process less time consuming and then people will learn from it as well (bit the middle way if you know what I mean). I have to consider it and look into things and eventually I will be bringing great news or the news that I can't do it, but that's all for the future :)

Thanks for your opinions so far, I will surely use them while considering ;) If you feel like anything to add, feel free to send me a PM, I will read it.

Thanks for your opinions so far, I will surely use them while considering ;) If you feel like anything to add, feel free to send me a PM, I will read it.

I'm sure we'll be in contact more as you start the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back