Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
ProBook 4x40s upgrade from Celeron to Core i3/i5/i7?

I noticed there is not many 4440s with Core i3, not to mention i5, i7 are very rare (never saw 4340s for sale), but there is abundance of supply with Celeron CPU. I am thinking if it makes sense to purchase used one with Celeron and then upgrade with i3/i5/i7? It seems still economical, is there are any catch with Celeron CPU in ProBooks?

I noticed there is not many 4440s with Core i3, not to mention i5, i7 are very rare (never saw 4340s for sale), but there is abundance of supply with Celeron CPU. I am thinking if it makes sense to purchase used one with Celeron and then upgrade with i3/i5/i7? It seems still economical, is there are any catch with Celeron CPU in ProBooks?

Actually, there is a catch: this CPU doen't have graphics, supported by OS X and since the Intel HD graphics (3000 or 4000, I'm not sure about the CPUs with 2500, according to this thread they should work since 10.8.3) is the only supported graphics for our ProBooks, you won't have a working graphics.

Actually, there is a catch: this CPU doen't have graphics, supported by OS X and since the Intel HD graphics (3000 or 4000, I'm not sure about the CPUs with 2500, according to this thread they should work since 10.8.3) is the only supported graphics for our ProBooks, you won't have a working graphics.

This is good to know info. I meant, to buy Celeron ProBook then throw away CPU and replace it with i3/i5/i7. This way you have supported graphics (3000 or 4000) as it is function of CPU, not the mainboard, so you can proceed with OSX install on the upgraded laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back