Contribute
Register

Probook 4540s Ivy Bridge howto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checking the 4530s FAQ it´s often mentioned the Atheros 9285, which includes bluetooth. Is this the recommended wifi/bluetooth card?

Actually, the model# 9285 just refers to the WiFi chip.
AR5B195 refers to the WiFi+BT combo, which is AR9285+AR3011. I think. It can be confusing.

By the way, I´ve checked my battery life:

Idle, I mean idle running the Os with no app running, just screensaver. 2h 45 min

I've never tried with a screen saver. I suppose it depends, then, on which screen saver you are using. I don't use screen savers... I just allow the screen to turn off (and eventually the whole laptop).

Busy, working with Logic Pro in a demanding session with more than 50 audio tracks and about 10 midi+virtual instrument tracks: 57 min

I´m not so disappointed; I think that maybe the problem is comparing this rather short battery life to my Lenovo´s, which was about 3 times this. Nevertheless, I said I would check and leave the info here just in case it may be useful for any purpose.

Sounds like a fairly demanding task. Most people reporting battery life are probably doing light web browsing...

Another question I have: is it possible to have this radeon graphic card fully working in the future? Or is this switchable feature a problem that is not likely to be solved? Besides, I don´t know if the possibility of changing the screen for a 1080 one is related to this problem....

Another question I have: is it possible to have this radeon graphic card fully working in the future? Or is this switchable feature a problem that is not likely to be solved? Besides, I don´t know if the possibility of changing the screen for a 1080 one is related to this problem....

Well, it is not possible now, and I don't see much progress being made (of course, I'm not really looking as I don't have that hardware).

As far as the future, my crystal ball is really cloudy right now :)

It is not related to the screen, and it, evidently, is not easily (therefore not likely) solved.

Swapped out the wifi card with an Atheros AR5B93, worked like a charm :), who uses bluetooth anyway?

Hello again.

I´ve seen this interesting thing in ebay:

http://www.ebay.es/itm/KingSpec-2-5...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item791a718250

I don´t know much about ssd drives; I just know that they´re fast... and expensive. But this one looks quite cheap. Is there any thing I should consider if I decide to buy an ssd drive? Are they all compatible, reliable, or are there any especific specs it must have?

I've never heard of KingSpec in the SSD world. And it strikes me as expensive and slow compared to modern SSDs...

Read some SSD reviews on the net so you are more informed.

I've have SSD drives from Crucial (2x), Mushkin (2x), OCZ (3x), Kingston (1x). So far, I've had to RMA the first OCZ drive (Vertex1, 64GB) I purchased and its replacement is still unreliable. No problems with the newer OCZ Vertex2 (64GB) drives in a couple of my HTPCs. Had to RMA one of my two Muskin Chronos Deluxe (256GB in Desktop) as it was bad from the start (had trouble waking from sleep). No problems with my Crucial M4 (256GB in ProBook, and 128GB in my server). And no problems with the Kingston HyperX (128GB) in my main HTPC.

The Mushkin and the Crucial are the fastest in my "collection," with the Mushkin units slightly edging out the Crucial units.

It is a good idea no matter what unit you purchase, that before even using it you be sure to update the firmware to the latest from the manufacturer website.

I've never heard of KingSpec in the SSD world. And it strikes me as expensive and slow compared to modern SSDs...

Read some SSD reviews on the net so you are more informed.

It´s quite confusing. I´ve read good and bad reviews for the same item. Kingspec is a chinese brand, there are people very happy with their products, while others say they´re not "that" fast and reliable...

The Mushkin and the Crucial are the fastest in my "collection," with the Mushkin units slightly edging out the Crucial units.

So... it looks like a choice between these two. I´m afraid of what my wallet may think about this... I was thinking of a 128 drive to install OSX plus all the audio plugins I need (storage demanding).... I´ll take a look in ebay, thanks for your help

It´s quite confusing. I´ve read good and bad reviews for the same item. Kingspec is a chinese brand, there are people very happy with their products, while others say they´re not "that" fast and reliable...

I was just reading the specs as stated on that ebay page:
Capacity 32GB | 64GB | 128GB | 256GB
Sustained Read 160MB/S | 162MB/S | 162MB/S | 162MB/S
Sustained Write 56MB/S | 96MB/S | 96MB/S | 96MB/S

So sustained read/write: 162/96. Compare that to the Crucial M4: 500/175. Or Sandisk: 530/290.

No doubt "real world" will be different (usually not as good). But the numbers they are publishing are pretty unexciting.

So... it looks like a choice between these two. I´m afraid of what my wallet may think about this... I was thinking of a 128 drive to install OSX plus all the audio plugins I need (storage demanding).... I´ll take a look in ebay, thanks for your help

And really do read reviews with properly done benchmarks -- I bought my drives last year (Mushkin/Crucial/Kingston) and things change quite rapidly in this area. Look for stuff on sale. You can find some good deals if you're patient.

I've heard good things about the Sandisk units. Excellent performance and low power consumption at idle (great for notebooks). If you can find one for a good price...

Just thought I'd mention one thing. You said SSDs are expensive. Things have improved in that area quite a bit. The first SSD I purchased, an OCZ Vertex1... the one that I has been replaced with RMA and still isn't reliable... that drive cost $189 for 64GB.

Hello Mr.

I have succesfully installed ML on my 4540s without much hazzle, though I have not bought a wireless card, but I was hoping to use the Ethernet port, is this posible? I have read about the Lnx2Mac's Realtek RTL81xx Driver, but it looks a bit old and also I can not identify my Ethernet part on Windows, hope you can sort me out. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back