Contribute
Register

Probook 4540s Ivy Bridge howto

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that´s correct, should I remove this AHCI patch, or does it affect the correct behaviour of the laptop?

I like to keep my system as 'clean' as possible. With patches being made only if necessary. In 10.8.x, where 'x' is 2 or less, I needed this patch to boot from HDD. But in 10.8.3 or when booting from my SSD, I did not need the patch.

You can undo the patch by restoring IOAHCHFamily.kext from the "Installer Backups" on your Desktop (Kext Wizard). Then repair permissions & rebuild cache. Then reboot. If you can boot ok, then great, you didn't need the patch. If you can't boot (gets hung up on "waiting for root device..." in verbose boot), then boot with "-f" and re-apply the AHCI patch.

Most people with 10.8.3 do not need it.

... <pstate dump removed> ...

But... I don´t know what these numbers mean... I guess, for what I read in the forum, that the numbers musn´t be stuck in the same value, but, other than that, I don´t understand what this has to do with my battery life... is this all about power consumption of the processors? Help, please...

Pstates are "performance states." Each state corresponds to a higher CPU "multiplier." Larger multipliers give better CPU performance, but more power consumed and more heat created. The OS monitors CPU load and sets the pstate higher for higher CPU loads. This way you get more performance when your CPU is busy and less when it is not (because it is not needed) in order to use less power and allow the CPU to cool easier. This is called OSPM in the ACPI spec (OS Power Management) and in the case of OS X, is implemented by AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext with the data about your CPU from SSDT.

For your battery situation, you should check Activity Monitor to see if there are any background tasks using CPU (or other) resources. Also, have you installed any third party software that might run in the background. Battery life also depends a lot on what you're doing with the computer while on battery.

I get more than 3 hours from my 4530s (I've never really officially measured it), but it has only a Core-i3. Also, Ivy PM should still be considered a "work in progress" at this point. Only through reports and investigations by people with issues such as yours can it be tested and improved.

I have found that my touchpad doesn´t recongnize multitouch, and doesn´t even wake from screensaver. Is there anything in the PB installer that can solve this, or do I have to tweak with kexts?

ProBook will not wake from sleep except from the power button. Screen saver is different than sleep. What you describe is behavior when the computer is sleeping, not in the screen saver or display sleep. It should wake from the screensaver or a "screen sleep" with a touch or key.

As far as the touchpad multi-touch implementation, the following gestures are implemented:
- single, two, and three finger tap to click
- double tap+hold drag (if enabled)
- two finger scrolling
- three finger swipe

No other gestures are implemented at this time. The trackpad driver is not true multi-touch primarily because Apple does not document the mechanisms a driver should use to implement it. As a result, these features are implemented as mouse/keyboard emulation to the degree that IOHIPointing/IOHIKeyboard allows. Not to mention that multi-touch at the hardware level on this trackpad is pretty poor, both from the stand point of the amount of information provided and the reliability of the data.

For three finger swipes to work, you must assign them to functions in SysPrefs -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts. Do some searches in the trackpad thread if you can't figure it out. Hint: when it asks you to type the key, do the three finger swipe gesture.

I´m afraid you´re right. I was wrong, I thought this model of wifi card had built in bluetooth too. And I´ve checked the description in ebay and it doesn´t say a thing about bluetooth.

Does anybody know an alternative model that has both options, wifi+bluetooth?

That question is asked often. I tried to give an overwiew here.

That question is asked often. I tried to give an overwiew here.

Hum; for what I see, having bluetooth in the same card brings trouble and need extra tweaking. I´ll stick with this by now, I have a mini bluetooth dongle which was used with my macpro, time to take it out of the drawer. Nevertheless, bluetooth is not a must for me, it´s only that for certain apps I like using the trackpad. Thanks for all, Don

You can undo the patch by restoring IOAHCHFamily.kext from the "Installer Backups" on your Desktop (Kext Wizard).......

Most people with 10.8.3 do not need it.

Once again: completely right. I restored the kext and it boots without complaining...

....Ivy PM should still be considered a "work in progress" at this point. Only through reports and investigations by people with issues such as yours can it be tested and improved.

It´s true that I use the laptop for video editing, music production, sound post... they are demanding tasks. Nevertheless, I´m going to check exactly how long this battery lasts, because I often leave it idle and when I´m back it´s almost 0. I´ll let you know the duration in heavy work and idle, in case it may help.

No other gestures are implemented at this time. The trackpad driver is not true multi-touch primarily because Apple does not document the mechanisms a driver should use to implement it.

Ok I had missed a setting in system preferences. It didn´t recognize my taps as clicks because that option wasn´t checked. About multi gesture, now I see it´s limited, but certain options work and I have a trackpad in case I need something better.

So... I don´t know if there´s something else I should take in consideration after the install... I´ll be glad to hear any comments or suggestions

Ups. Sorry for the bad quote. I missed some of the quoted text...

So according to this guide, the bt+wifi combo cards don't work? Is there any bluetooth and wifi that works for this laptop?!

So according to this guide, the bt+wifi combo cards don't work? Is there any bluetooth and wifi that works for this laptop?!

The one we use on the 4530s should work...

The one we use on the 4530s should work...

Is it the AR5B195 named in the 4530s forum??

Does it work out of the box, or, at least, with little tweaking?

(We noobs are quite coward with terminal...:rolleyes:)

Is it the AR5B195 named in the 4530s forum??

Does it work out of the box, or, at least, with little tweaking?

(We noobs are quite coward with terminal...:rolleyes:)

See the FAQ for model# information. The only tweak is the DSDT patch (which injects device-id for AR9280 so the driver loads).

See the FAQ for model# information...

Checking the 4530s FAQ it´s often mentioned the Atheros 9285, which includes bluetooth. Is this the recommended wifi/bluetooth card?

By the way, I´ve checked my battery life:

Idle, I mean idle running the Os with no app running, just screensaver. 2h 45 min
Busy, working with Logic Pro in a demanding session with more than 50 audio tracks and about 10 midi+virtual instrument tracks: 57 min

I´m not so disappointed; I think that maybe the problem is comparing this rather short battery life to my Lenovo´s, which was about 3 times this. Nevertheless, I said I would check and leave the info here just in case it may be useful for any purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back