Contribute
Register

Problems with Presonus Firebox (firewire)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
gigabyte up5 th
CPU
i7 3770k
Graphics
gtx 670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Problems with Presonus Firebox (firewire) *SOLVED*

I have some problems with my Presonus FireBox under Mountain Lion 10.8.2.
Every once in a while the sound gets cut off in a glitchy kinda way, hard to explain but i hear a crackle and then the sound cuts of for 1/2 second or so.

anyone got any clues on whats going on and how to fix this?
i tried checking the console but it doesnt report anything at all when this happens.

im using a Gigabyte z77x-up5 th with 3770k and 16gb.
i havent disabled the internal soundcard or anything, but that feels like overkill to have to do.

any help would be greatly appreciated since this is a major thorn in my hackintosh, especially since i mainly built it for music and photography.

oh yea, this does NOT happen when i use the intergrated sound blaster or whatever it is on the motherboard, just with my external firewire Presonus Firebox.

edit:
It works perfect under windows, so its nothing wrong with the firewire port or the soundcard itself.

noone with any suggestions?
id hate to go out and spend cash on a new soundcard when this is perfectly working (just not under hackintosh for some reason).

I think the problem came with 10.8.2 and has to do with USB polling or transfer.

Motu had the same problem but the already updated their driver set, so problem solved.
Write to Presonus support as this problem ocurrs also on native Macs (in my case). They surely got to update their drivers.
Presonus normally refreshes pretty quick.

Cheers,

I think the problem came with 10.8.2 and has to do with USB polling or transfer.

Motu had the same problem but the already updated their driver set, so problem solved.
Write to Presonus support as this problem ocurrs also on native Macs (in my case). They surely got to update their drivers.
Presonus normally refreshes pretty quick.

Cheers,

hmm, ok, good to know (but bad news i might have to downgrade ML).
The problem is that the card is discontinued so i dont have any high hopes of new drivers arriving any time soon.
besides, the card is supposed to be driven by the coredrivers and no special downloaded ones.

but ill send off a mail and check with them.

thanks for your input!

ok, no more soundcards from presonus for me, the company doesnt even reply on a simple question via email.
bad customer service imho.

i just asked if anyone else have reported having problems with the firebox and ML and they cant even bother answering.
weak.

Same symptoms here on 10.8.2 [sound card Lynx Aurora FW, motherboard z77x ud5h, cpu 3770k].
I hope it is something that will be solved on next system update. keep ears stiff

Same symptoms here on 10.8.2 [sound card Lynx Aurora FW, motherboard z77x ud5h, cpu 3770k].
I hope it is something that will be solved on next system update. keep ears stiff

i have it with 10.8.1 as well (tried downgrading).

alright.. fixed my sound problems finally after almost giving up and getting a new soundcard.

what i did was basically to get a new firewire card for my computer.
my motherboard have some integrated firewire chip from VIA which is obviously crap and made my sound all messed up from time to time, glitchy and scrambled and what not.

so i got myself a new firewire card from ebay which have a texas instruments chip on it instead and now it works flawlessly.
im pretty sure this fix will also work for other soundcards that have the same problem, so instead of getting a new soundcard just check which firewire chip you have on the motherboard first.

While've fixed your problem is good to say that the manufacturer's product makes it perfectly clear that the board does not support mountain lion, only reaches its compatibility LION (10.7). I for one am trying to install a macbook pro 2013 model with i5 processor and third generation is complicated because I can not make a downgrade to the version 10.7 brings natively since 10.8. By the way if anyone has a solution for this I would appreciate. regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back