Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i7-4970K
Graphics
GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+
So, this may be a little tricky to explain, but I will try my best. Last night, I completed a successful installation of Mac on SSD1, and Windows 10 on SSD2. I was able to boot into clover a select which OS. This morning, when I decided to boot into Windows 10, I get an error saying that Windows needed to be repaired, and I needed to use my USB to boot it up again.

I tried doing a clean install of Windows 10. Now, when I try to install Windows 10, I keep running into issues.

1.) First of all, when I choose where to boot from, I get a whole list of items, which one do I choose? 20160103_141901.jpg
I have been choosing UEFI: KDI-MSFT Windows 10 PMAP or KDI-MSFT Windows 10 PMAP. It seems those are the only two options that will get me to the Windows 10 installer screen.

2.) The biggest problem comes when I choose where to install Windows 10. I get a variety of different error messages. I would get:
Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks. or
20160103_141504.jpg

We couldn't create a new partition [Error: 0x80004005] or
20160103_141137.jpg

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.
20160103_141009.jpg

Yes, I did happen to format my hard drive using Mac Disk Utility once before reading up how I should not do that, but I also did format the hard drive using the the "Format" button when asking where to install Windows. When I look at the SSD where I want to install Windows 10 on, it says it is NTFS
Screen Shot 2016-01-03 at 2.06.54 PM.png

PLEASE HELP!!

If you select the UEFI version of the USB, then the installer will want a GUID partitioned hard drive to install Win10.
Easy way: boot OS X, format the Win10 drive using Disk Utility as if you were going to install OS X.
Boot the UEFI installer for Win 10. When it shows the drive with the OS X formatted partition, delete the partition, leaving the entire drive as free space. Continue the installation of Win10. The installer will create partitions as needed.

Command line method:
Boot the UEFI Win10 installer. At the first install screen hold shift+F10 to open a command window.
Type diskpart to start the app. At diskpart, type and hit enter
list disk
select disk 0 (assuming your Win10 drive is disk 0)
clean
convert gpt
exit
exit

close the command window
select the free space in the partition selection box and continue install.

If you select the UEFI version of the USB, then the installer will want a GUID partitioned hard drive to install Win10.
Easy way: boot OS X, format the Win10 drive using Disk Utility as if you were going to install OS X.
Boot the UEFI installer for Win 10. When it shows the drive with the OS X formatted partition, delete the partition, leaving the entire drive as free space. Continue the installation of Win10. The installer will create partitions as needed.

Command line method:
Boot the UEFI Win10 installer. At the first install screen hold shift+F10 to open a command window.
list disk
clean
convert gpt
exit
exit

close the command window

I tried the "Easy Way" and I get the Error: "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation."

Command line method:
list disk
clean
convert gpt
exit
exit

close the command window

I tried the "hard way" as well, and got the same error message.

BTW, After using both methods, I can see that there are 4 different partitions created:
Partition 1: Type = Recovery
Partition 2: Type = System
Partition 3: Type = MSR (Reserved)
Partition 4: Type = Primary

I seem to have successfully installed Windows 10 on my SSD. I had to unplug my Mac SSD.

Now I hope that my Windows 10 does not require to be repaired again. I wonder what caused it to need repair in the first place...

I seem to have successfully installed Windows 10 on my SSD. I had to unplug my Mac SSD.

Now I hope that my Windows 10 does not require to be repaired again. I wonder what caused it to need repair in the first place...
...Guess if you had any problem again with Win10. I had your same IDENTICAL issues and now i have to re-install Windows...

Tried this and it deleted my entire FRICKING Mac OS X installation!

Be cautious above method, it will wipe off your entire disk.

Be cautious above method, it will wipe off your entire disk.
Precisely what it is supposed to do. OTOH, if you select disk x instead of your Win10 drive and it is your Mac OS drive then of course you wiped your Mac OS drive. Extreme care is required when using command line whether in Windows, Linux or Mac OS. Best procedure is to disconnect / disable all drives other than the one you are working on before you start. Good work habits are the road to success.

Try to use the freeware Rufus to create a Windows 10 installation USB. If you want to install Windows 10 on SSD with GPT partition table, make sure you choose GPT partition scheme while creating the bootable USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back