Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi
CPU
i5-8500
Graphics
UHD 630 & Vega 56
On my set up I am running a VEGA 56 dGPU with the Intel UHD 630 iGPU in headless mode using SMBIOS 19.1 and with the Display Port, it works faultlessly.

For various reasons, I'd like to use the HDMI output from the VEGA but when I do so, the display continually flickers on and off. I seem to remember reading that macOS has some issues with HDMI and was wondering if anyone knows of a solution to this. I have attached my config.plist.

Thanks.

Attachments

• config.plist
    12 KB · Views: 54
I'd like to use the HDMI output from the VEGA but when I do so, the display continually flickers on and off. I seem to remember reading that macOS has some issues with HDMI and was wondering if anyone knows of a solution to this. I have attached my config.plist.

@gcc1,

HDMI should work fine on Vega 56 ...
Have you installed the latest versions of Lilu + WhatEverGreen ? .. see this guide for more info :-

After installing check which AMD frame buffer is in use by looking in the IOREG under the GFX0 device path ..

Cheers
jay

@gcc1,

HDMI should work fine on Vega 56 ...
Have you installed the latest versions of Lilu + WhatEverGreen ? .. see this guide for more info :-

After installing check which AMD frame buffer is in use by looking in the IOREG under the GFX0 device path ..

Cheers
jay

Thanks for the lightening fast response Jay.

Latest versions of both Whatevergreen and Lilu installed in L/E.

At GFX0 in IOREG showing 2 display device types with AMD Framebuffers (only using one display).

Have attached IOREG if it helps.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Graeme’s iMac.ioreg
    4.9 MB · Views: 43
At GFX0 in IOREG showing 2 display device types with AMD Framebuffers (only using one display).

@gcc1,

IOREG shows that WEG has assigned AMD framebuffer correctly ... looks ok to me.
Have you tried using a different HDMI cable ?

Cheers
Jay

@gcc1,

IOREG shows that WEG has assigned AMD framebuffer correctly ... looks ok to me.
Have you tried using a different HDMI cable ?

Cheers
Jay

I had been thinking that might be a possibility.

Will give it a go. Really appreciate your help and quick responses.

All the best!

I had been thinking that might be a possibility.

Will give it a go. Really appreciate your help and quick responses.

All the best!

In my experience, HDMI cables can make a difference. However, even with a good quality HDMI cable, it can be a bit glitchy when trying to use 4K@60Hz. If I use a lower resolution and/or lower refresh, it's more stable. YMMV.

This glitchiness only happens in macOS. On Windows, 4K@60Hz over HDMI works fine...

In my experience, HDMI cables can make a difference. However, even with a good quality HDMI cable, it can be a bit glitchy when trying to use 4K@60Hz. If I use a lower resolution and/or lower refresh, it's more stable. YMMV.

This glitchiness only happens in macOS. On Windows, 4K@60Hz over HDMI works fine...

Thanks, that is also my experience with Windows when dual booting.

I'll try another cable and report back if there's an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back