Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi folks,

I'm having some problems with my Hackintosh install, I assume with Clover, but frankly the errors I'm getting don't help narrow it down. I've tried searching in vain to find solutions to this oddball set, but haven't had much luck. I'm hoping you'll be able to point me in the right direction to start debugging this.

The system: Gigabyte GA-z77x-ud5h motherboard, i7-3770K CPU (not running overclocked), GTX 980 GPU, 32GB Ram. Installing to a SSD - there's another SSD with Windows 10 on it, and two 4TB data drives. Also a firewire and wifi card that are on the natively supported hardware list. I forget the exact model numbers but can dig them out if anyone thinks they're relevant.

Background: I'd been running a Chameleon based install for a few years, and was recently running El Cap on it. It'd worked successfully back until Mavericks (possibly earlier, I forget exactly), using a GTX670. I decided to swap to the GTX980 for Windows gaming, and the OS X install wasn't too happy with that, which was to be expected. I didn't mind, as it was past time to transition to Clover anyway. So, I have experience installing these and following guides, but any low-level bootloader stuff beyond boot flags was beyond my experience.

Creating the installer with even the latest Unibeast has proved continually problematic, with me randomly getting the "couldn't remove install files" error. Eventually it succeeded after I booted to a Mountain Lion install on my Macbook Pro, although this is still hit and miss.

Using the standard vanilla install method, initially I could get the base system installed using nv_disable=1 and adding the HFS driver, and then get the nVidia web drivers installed. Didn't get as far as fixing the audio. The main problem in this instance was that it was taking ~4 minutes to reach the Clover boot selection screen, then another ~4 minutes to boot to desktop, when on Chameleon it's not much of an exaggeration to say those would be 4 seconds. Logging was turned off, and I can't see any other way to speed it up. This occurred both on the USB installer and the SSD install of Clover.

At some point, either through installing some Mad Katz mouse drivers or more likely futzing about with Clover, this stopped working.

I'd managed to get back to more or less that state a couple of times, but something always seemed to break that required a re-install while trying to get reasonable boot times.

The latest attempt is the most puzzling. It installed to the point of asking for a reboot, at which point I can no longer get to any boot menu - from the motherboard, not Clover. By this I mean that on Gigabyte MBs, you batter F12 on booting to get a boot menu of drives to boot from - this now does not appear with the USB installer inserted (tested on two different drives, in both USB2 and 3 ports), with no changes to the bios settings between install and reboot attempt. Without the USB installer plugged in, it works as expected.

Frankly at this point I have no clue what the deal is with this. From various posters I'd tried various bios settings, with seemingly no difference made. I've tried various Clover options, to no effect. I worry that those changes might not be made without wiping the EFI partition first? The only similar situation I've found for the crazy slow boot times was to "change to BIOSBlockIO", but that made no difference. I haven't installed any modded bios, it's stock F14. Maybe that's required for Clover?

This latest, no bios boot selection menu thing has me completely bamboozled, though. I've tried resetting the bios options and starting from fresh, but no luck.

My last ditch would be to pull everything from the computer bar the OSX SSD, attempt an install on that and add back in gradually, but I can't immediately see why that would help with the Clover issue.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd gratefully receive them. Otherwise I'm doomed to a life of Windows, and no-one wants to see that, surely? Apologies for the wall of text.

Sounds really weird. I do have the same MB with 16GB Ram and a GTX 680.
Used this guide
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...77x-ud5h-i7-3770k-gt-640-x2-os-x-10-11-a.html
and install worked out of the box, with sound, sleep, Appstore, USB 2 and 3 capabilities, though i have not tested all ports

As you have mentioned problems creating the install USB, have you tried a new download of ElCap from the Store, different USB sticks, different USB ports? Have you tried installing with your old graphic card?

Different from your board i have upgraded with the latest modded Bios from http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/48085-gigabyte-modified-bios.html. As this is no longer a production machine it was a no brainer for me, and worked, including a nicer splash screen at boot ;-).

Don't give up on OSX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back