Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Supermicro X8DTL
CPU
2x X5670
Graphics
GT 730
hi all,

Im having a heck of a time getting an EVGA GTX970 working on my El Capitan setup im doing for a buddy.

I have this version of the card, bought off the hardware list on this site:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NVODXR4/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

The system itself is as follows:
Intel DH77DF Mini-ITX w/ UEFI
16GB Kingston Fury 1866 RAM
Samsung EVO 850 500GB drive
EVGA GTX970 SC 4GB

Ive done a clean installation with the latest tools off this site, I can get the machine fully running, booting, and working with a GT740 in the machine. Ive installed the latest drivers (although i just read some new ones were released just last night which I have not tried yet) and in all my configuration changes, the 970 will hardly work at all. ive tried all kinds of variations.

base config, no changes = reboots as it goes to finder, nothing shows up in verbose prior to the reboot
base config, nv-disable=1, nvda-drv=1 = boots, no acceleration, "About this mac" shows "nVidia Chip Model 5MB"
base config, nv-disable=1, nvda-drv=1, inject nvidia = boots, no acceleration, "About this Mac" shows "EVGA nVidia GTX970 0MB"

ive also tried turning on and off Load VBios but it so far hasnt really had any effect. Everything on the system works fine until the 970 is installed. Ive popped it into a Windows machine and it works perfectly fine there so I know its not the card.

Any suggestions or advice? is there something obvious Im overlooking? Ive heard some stuff about making use of NVCAP, would that make a difference?

Thanks

hi all,

Im having a heck of a time getting an EVGA GTX970 working on my El Capitan setup im doing for a buddy.

I have this version of the card, bought off the hardware list on this site:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NVODXR4/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

The system itself is as follows:
Intel DH77DF Mini-ITX w/ UEFI
16GB Kingston Fury 1866 RAM
Samsung EVO 850 500GB drive
EVGA GTX970 SC 4GB

Ive done a clean installation with the latest tools off this site, I can get the machine fully running, booting, and working with a GT740 in the machine. Ive installed the latest drivers (although i just read some new ones were released just last night which I have not tried yet) and in all my configuration changes, the 970 will hardly work at all. ive tried all kinds of variations.

base config, no changes = reboots as it goes to finder, nothing shows up in verbose prior to the reboot
base config, nv-disable=1, nvda-drv=1 = boots, no acceleration, "About this mac" shows "nVidia Chip Model 5MB"
base config, nv-disable=1, nvda-drv=1, inject nvidia = boots, no acceleration, "About this Mac" shows "EVGA nVidia GTX970 0MB"

ive also tried turning on and off Load VBios but it so far hasnt really had any effect. Everything on the system works fine until the 970 is installed. Ive popped it into a Windows machine and it works perfectly fine there so I know its not the card.

Any suggestions or advice? is there something obvious Im overlooking? Ive heard some stuff about making use of NVCAP, would that make a difference?

Thanks
With drivers installed you should only need nvda_drv=1 for the card to work,uncheck inject nvidia.

*SOLVED*

trying to boot with just nvda_drv=1 would cause the same reboot loops.

i figured out the problem. I have been building this machine on my workbench, with an old janky monitor with only a vga connection. Up until this point, i guess it hasnt been a problem. But it seems the 970 does not like VGA connections on OSX. it works fine with all the older generation cards I tried (7970, 5770, and GT740) but the 970 just wasnt having it.

I switched to a different monitor which used a DVI connection, booted with just nvda_drv=1 and the machine booted without problem or issue. everything is working great now, and the video card is showing correctly as EVGA GTX970 4GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back