Classic Mac
  1. Performa
  2. Plus
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello. I'm trying to update from Clover configurator but I get this error

Cannot install without ensuring the file system is read-write

I tried searching for a solution, but the only thread I found just suggested going into recovery and disabling csrutil from terminal, that didn't help unfortunately so now I'm at a loss on how to proceed.

Last edited:
Assumption is you are running Catalina.

That being the case the Catalina 'Data' drive will during normal usage be 'read-only', i.e. you can't change any system files. This is part of the new security and protection added to the OS by Apple when Catalina was released.

You need to use Hackintool or a terminal command to mount the Data partition in Read/Write mode. Easiest way is to use Hackintool.

The screenshot below show the Hackintool Utilities tab, with the 'Disable GateKeeper and mount the disk in read/write mode' icon highlighted within a RED rectangle.

Select this icon, provide your system password when requested and confirm the action. You should be able to do what you need, once the drive/partition in Read/write mode.

Screenshot 2020-11-05 at 00.20.30.png

Personally, I would hold off updating Clover to anything newer than Clover_r5119 or Clover_r5120, as the newest releases have been problematic and caused some unnecessary kernel panics etc.

Or it is time to move everything to the EFI volume...

Assumption is you are running Catalina.

That being the case the Catalina 'Data' drive will during normal usage be 'read-only', i.e. you can't change any system files. This is part of the new security and protection added to the OS by Apple when Catalina was released.

You need to use Hackintool or a terminal command to mount the Data partition in Read/Write mode. Easiest way is to use Hackintool.

The screenshot below show the Hackintool Utilities tab, with the 'Disable GateKeeper and mount the disk in read/write mode' icon highlighted within a RED rectangle.

Select this icon, provide your system password when requested and confirm the action. You should be able to do what you need, once the drive/partition in Read/write mode.

Personally, I would hold off updating Clover to anything newer than Clover_r5119 or Clover_r5120, as the newest releases have been problematic and caused some unnecessary kernel panics etc.
Thanks a lot. I'll hold off for a bit before updating then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back