Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me here... I'm new to this new Clover utility, and I'm totally confused. My setup is an Intel i7-3770K CPU, Gigabyte GA-Z77N-wifi motherboard, 16GB RAM. I followed the guide to the letter (as best I can tell), wiped, and reinstalled El Capitan three times now -- all with the same results. I seem to have two issues...

Issue #1:

The installation of Unibeast and OS X goes smoothly. However, MultiBeast 8.2.3 fails on the Realtek ALC892 driver. Even attempting to run the installer manually (within the Resources directory of the Multibeast package) fails. No reason is given in the error -- just:

12/17/16 20:04:33 - Starting MultiBeast 8.2.3-20160602
12/17/16 20:06:20 - Installing 'Bootloaders > Clover v2.3k r3423 UEFI Boot Mode'
12/17/16 20:06:23 - Installing 'BootVolume'
12/17/16 20:06:23 - Mounting EFI
12/17/16 20:06:23 - Installing 'Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC892'
12/17/16 20:06:44 - Install of '/Volumes/OS X 10.11 El Capitan Install/MultiBeast - El Capitan Edition/MultiBeast.app/Contents/Resources/Clover-ALC892.pkg' failed.
'installer: Package name is Clover ALC892
installer: Installing at base path /
installer: The install failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)
'. Exiting.​

In searching Tonymac, ******, and Google, it seems a lot of people are having trouble with Realtek drivers in El Capitan, although most are on newer chipsets. It's worked for me in prior versions, but then they were using Chameleon. So, I installed everything but audio. The build screen looks like:

Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.18-313-g671f31c.1707
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC Plugins v6.18-313-g671f31c.1707
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC HWMonitor Application v6.18-313-g671f31c.1707
Drivers > Misc > NullCPUPowerManagement v1.0.0d2
Drivers > USB > 7/8/9 Series USB Support
Bootloaders > Clover v2.3k r3423 UEFI Boot Mode
Customize > System Definitions > iMac > iMac 13,2
Issue #2:

With these settings, the install appears to go through fine. The installer says, "The software was successfully installed." I reboot, but after post, I get a black screen with:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press enter
I check the UEFI BIOS, and it's set to boot from the hard drive. I can also boot from the USB, but it appears MultiBeast is not installing the boot loader correctly. I check the root of my hard drive, and there is an EFI/CLOVER folder. The config.plist does contain the section:

<key>Boot</key>
<dict>
<key>Arguments</key>
<string>dart=0</string>
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>Mac OS HD</string>
<key>Legacy</key>
<string>PBR</string>
<key>Log</key>
<true/>
<key>Secure</key>
<false/>
<key>Timeout</key>
<integer>3</integer>
<key>XMPDetection</key>
<string>NO</string>
</dict>

... but it still won't boot without the help of the Installer USB.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong??

Thanks!

-John

P.S. For issue #1, I saw the posts about using Toleda's injection scripts, and have been trying those; however, even those scripts are reporting "No Clover/Chameleon files, confirm Osmosis/other install (y/n)". The combination of this and the above make me think MultiBeast 8.2.3 is not installing Clover correctly. Or am I missing something?? Thanks again!

Hey Toleda,

Thanks, that got me a bit further! I didn't know about the EFI Mounter -- that wasn't mentioned in the Installation Guide. I downloaded it, ran it, and mounted the EFI partition on my primary boot device. I had already re-installed OS X El Capitan one more time after my post, but hadn't run MultiBeast yet. I am using the correct installer, yes? MultiBeast 8.2.3 with OS X El Capitan?

The ALC892 installer package finished without an error now. Great! I also installed FakeSMC, and Clover Boot loader UEFI. I then rebooted. However, I'm not sure it installed correctly, because I still got the error message, "Reboot and Select proper Boot device". I plugged the USB installer back in and booted using that boot drive. I then remounted the EFI drive. Within the EFI folder, there's only one subfolder: APPLE. No "CLOVER". It appears the "CLOVER" subfolder was put in an "EFI" folder off the root of my hard drive, and not the EFI volume. Do I need to manually copy that over to the EFI volume? My BIOS can still see volume name of my Mac OS X install -- it just can't boot from it.

Also, I noticed that when I rebooted, I still had no audio. Did MultiBeast mess up? Or did I mess up?

Thanks for your help on this!

-John

Hey Toleda,

Sorry... I didn't put my original message in the Audio forum because it had two parts (boot and audio) -- it was moved for me by someone else (I don't know whom). My post was originally in the discussion section of the El Capitan Install Guide forum. I'd move it back, or wherever it needs to be; but I'm not sure how to do that on here.

I did go into the BIOS and tell it to boot to that drive. My BIOS boot order is: 1) Mac OS X, 2) UEFI: ARC 100 SATA SSD, 3) P3: DVD/BDROM Legacy, and 4) P0: ARC 100 SATA SSD Legacy. It still doesn't boot into the drive, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

There still is an audio problem, though, as after installing the ALC892 driver within MultiBeast, "No output devices found" is still listed in my System Preferences.

So what am I doing wrong?

-John

(I'm really not trying to be a pain -- I just really don't know what I'm missing here...)

1) Mac OS X, 2) UEFI: ARC 100 SATA SSD, 3) P3: DVD/BDROM Legacy, and 4) P0: ARC 100 SATA SSD
Meaningless to me.
Attach Terminal: diskutil list

It still doesn't boot into the drive
Full stop; no audio until fixed.

Audio problems do not cause boot problems. Boot problems cause audio problems. The Audio forum requires successful installs (including boot from the same drive the system is installed) before installing audio.

Here's the output from "diskutil list":

Code:
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *240.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage Mac OS SSD              239.2 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1 (internal, virtual):
   0:                  Apple_HFS Mac OS SSD             +238.8 GB   disk1
                                Logical Volume on disk0s2
                                CDCAFBAE-9252-4BC7-AFF9-6EB8C6F5D810
                                Unencrypted
/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *15.5 GB    disk2
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS OS X 10.11 El Capita... 15.2 GB    disk2s2

Oh yeah... I'm doing this on a new SSD drive, and my old drive is out of the case. "disk2" was a USB device. "disk0" is an OCZ ARC-100 SSD internal drive, connected directly to a SATA port.

Well, I can erase, repartition, reformat, and reinstall again. It'll be the fifth time I've done it today.

One other thing I noticed, as an FYI. The EFI mounting script mounted the EFI partition to /Volumes/EFI, whereas MultiBeast installed its EFI configuration into /EFI (i.e. not the same location). I tried comparing the EFI volume on disk0 (SSD) with the EFI volume on disk2 (USB) and noticed the one on disk2 had the BOOT and CLOVER folders underneath the root EFI folder, whereas the EFI volume on disk0 didn't. As a test, I manually copied the contents of "/EFI" to "/Volumes/EFI/EFI" and was able to boot from the drive, but had no drivers (no keyboard, mouse, USB, etc).

I booted again using the USB and compared the two EFI mounts again, and noticed that the EFI mount from the USB stick (disk2) had kext files, whereas the EFI mount from the SSD (disk0) did not. I copied those files over from the USB's EFI volume to the SSD's EFI volume, rebooted, and I'm able to boot up from the disk, log in, and browse the internet. But no audio.

I feel like my "workaround" is a bit hackish, so I'll try to erase and repartition and see if it works. I'll post my results here. If it doesn't, I know what I may have to do to reapply the "workaround".

In the meanwhile, if the "diskutil" shouldn't list "Apple CoreStorage" for an SSD, what should it list? And why isn't the SSD listed for "disk2", which is a USB?

Thanks again for your help in this!

-John

Well, reinstalling did the same thing. Same problems. MultiBeast installed things to "/EFI", rather than "/Volumes/EFI", and the system wasn't bootable from the SSD. I was *finally* able to get everything working... In case this helps someone else (I noticed a lot of issues posted with "no audio" or "not able to boot" after install), I'll list what steps I took.

In doing a little research, I found out that the CoreStorage listing is just Apple's new Logical Volume Management layer that they've been slowly moving to since 10.7. So it looks like that entry is normal. While it's primarily used for Fusion drives, it's also used on many new installations of Yosemite and El Capitan.

So, I reapplied the workaround I listed above and manually copied the contents of the "/EFI" folder to "/Volumes/EFI/EFI". I also used DiffMerge (third-party application) to compare the "config.plist" in the USB's EFI partition to the one in the SSD's EFI partition and noticed a few differences:

The USB's version contained the following section, which the SSD's EFI partition did not:

Code:
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Raise 15 port limit to 30 in AppleUSBXHCIPCI</string>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                g72M/v//EA==
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AppleUSBXHCIPCI</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                g72M/v//Hw==
                </data>
            </dict>

as well as a difference in this section:

Code:
    <key>SystemParameters</key>
    <dict>
        <key>InjectKexts</key>
        <string>YES</string>
        <key>InjectSystemID</key>
        <true/>
    </dict>

The USB version had "YES", whereas the SSD version had "Detect". So, I changed the SSD version to match the USB's version. I also copied the kext files located in the USB's "/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts" folder to the similar folder within the SSD's EFI partition, and then rebooted. This gave me the ability to boot from my hard drive into OS X El Capitan where I was able to log in.

note: If you forget to copy the kext files into the kext folder of the EFI partition (as I did the previous time) and reboot, you may notice your mouse and keyboard no longer work. In this case, reset your machine and press F12 (or whatever your boot menu shortcut is) to manually select the OS X Installation USB stick, boot into the OS X hard drive that way, remount the EFI partition, and recopy the kexts.

Once I was able to log in again, I remounted the EFI partition and re-ran MultiBeast, *only* selecting the Audio codec and then installing it. After that happened, I did a Diff on the config.plist and noticed it finally added the injection entries into the config.plist on "/Volumes/EFI". I rebooted, and voila -- audio was had by all.

I'm not sure why MultiBeast didn't install things to the EFI Volume in my fourth and fifth attempt. I also don't know why the Audio modifications weren't installed with the rest of the modifications, but did work when it was installed finally all by itself after everything else was manually fixed. Perhaps there's a failsafe logic in MultiBeast that writes to "/EFI" if it can't write to "Volumes/EFI", but the RealTek installer doesn't have that failsafe? I honestly don't know, but that's how I was able to get it working.

Thanks again, Toleda, for your help with this! I really appreciate your help!

-John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back