Contribute
Register

Problems getting a Lion/Windows 7 dual boot set up..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey everyone. New to the Hackintosh world. I've been playing with setting up Lion on a new build. I've successfully gotten Win 7/Lion installed via the methods outlined here, but I discovered after I got both installs going that Windows 7 SP1 would not install. After some digging around, it turned out that the Win7 sp installer barfs when the disk is set up as a Lion EFI/GPT disk. The only way I found to get SP1 to install was to remove the OSX EFI partition. Of course, after doing that I could no longer boot OSX. So I went back to square 1.

I set by BIOS to UEFI, booted the Win 7 install DVD, set up the disk to GPT, and partitioned half of the drive for my win 7 install. Diskpart created the EFI partition, an MSR partition, and finally my Win7 install partition. This left half the drive free for an OSX partition. I successfully installed Win 7 and SP1. I then booted back to Multibeast/Lion USB drive and discovered I could not install Lion. Apparently Lion doesn't like the way Windows sets up GPT drives.

So it would appear that I'm stuck. The only way I could successfully get both OSX and Win7 installed and working with dual boot (set up according to guides here on this site) prevents me from being able to install SP1 on Windows 7. That is not a desirable set up.

It seems that it's impossible to make the Win7, Lion, and Win7 SP1 installers all happy at the same time. Anyone have any other ideas?

bdelima said:
It seems that it's impossible to make the Win7, Lion, and Win7 SP1 installers all happy at the same time. Anyone have any other ideas?

Absolutely not impossible as I have Windows 7 and OSX on same disk and never did anything with the EFI partition.

Partition your disk using Disk Utility.
Set OSX as first partition (OSX Extended Journaled). Make the second partition MSDOS (FAT), which you can reformat to NTFS during windows installation.
Install windows on second partition
Then install OSX on first partition

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... -snow.html

titsmgee said:
bdelima said:

Absolutely not impossible as I have Windows 7 and OSX on same disk and never did anything with the EFI partition.

Partition your disk using Disk Utility.
Set OSX as first partition (OSX Extended Journaled). Make the second partition MSDOS (FAT), which you can reformat to NTFS during windows installation.
Install windows on second partition
Then install OSX on first partition

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... -snow.html

Thanks Tits. That's what I did the first time around, and as you say, I got everything installed. The problem came when I tried to apply Windows 7 Service Pack 1. It refuses to apply the service pack when the disk is set up with the OSX disk utility. It goes like it's going to install, then errors out with an obscure error. By googling the error, I was able to determine lots of people have had similar issues when trying to apply the SP1 service pack onto dual boot systems. Apparently SP1 install has to fiddle with the boot partition which it can't do on a dual-boot hackintosh setup. If you were able to install SP1, please do tell how you did it. I tried just about everything I could think of.

I can confirm this issue. Seems impossible to get sp1 to install. I even tried using a newer copy of Win 7 that had sp1 included but the install couldn't finish. It said that "Windows could not complete installation on this hardware configuration." It would be really great if someone could find a workaround as this is not a real dual-boot option.

If you are trying to apply the service pack via MSUpdate, you need to:
a. format your disc with OS X disk utility
b. install Win7
c. apply SP1
d finish updates with MSUpdater

Then install OS X. Alternatively, you can go to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=5842 and download SP1 as a package and install it any time.

See viewtopic.php?f=81&t=20872
scroll down to the section on Win7 and OS X at the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back