Contribute
Register

Problem with Updating the System (since Big-Sur 11.2).

Motherboard
ASUS TUF B360M-E
CPU
i5 9400
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hello to the community, I would like to ask if it is normal that all updates (e.g. from Ventura 13.0 to 13.0.1 at the moment) can only be installed via an clean install?

I have the problem - since Big-Sur 11.2. - and since then I always have to make a backup of my system - and then I have to completely reset it to be able to install an update (=the update as a complete image). That means I make a backup, create a USB stick with the latest Mac-OS version, setup with complete formatting of the installation-drive and then restore my backup (via Time Machine).

I always suspected that this could be related to the video driver or the video power saving mode? The USB ports have been properly mapped since yesterday, so that's not the issue either....

Who knows a little better about this? Thank you very much.
Oh I'm currently using OC 0.8.3. -as the latest version was causing some problems (USB texts).

PS: If I do an OTA-Update, it always breaks immedialy after a few secondes (2-4s.) and restart the system without continue the updating process..)

Hello to the community, I would like to ask if it is normal that all updates (e.g. from Ventura 13.0 to 13.0.1 at the moment) can only be installed via an clean install?

I have the problem - since Big-Sur 11.2. - and since then I always have to make a backup of my system - and then I have to completely reset it to be able to install an update (=the update as a complete image). That means I make a backup, create a USB stick with the latest Mac-OS version, setup with complete formatting of the installation-drive and then restore my backup (via Time Machine).

I always suspected that this could be related to the video driver or the video power saving mode? The USB ports have been properly mapped since yesterday, so that's not the issue either....

Who knows a little better about this? Thank you very much.
Oh I'm currently using OC 0.8.3. -as the latest version was causing some problems (USB texts).

PS: If I do an OTA-Update, it always breaks immedialy after a few secondes (2-4s.) and restart the system without continue the updating process..)
you will need to also spoof your Skylake to a Kabylake system

use latest opencore

make sure you have done this correctly:

you will need to also spoof your Skylake to a Kabylake system
Hi, Feartech:

I just got my hack running smoothly on Monterey and was contemplating upgrading to Ventura once the initial bugs are ferreted out. Until I read your reply, I didn't know that Ventura doesn't support Skylake processors like mine. I did some searching and it seems that Ventura dropped support for the Intel HD530 graphics that my hack uses. Is this the extent of the "spoofing" required? I found one guide that discusses the HD530 changes, but nothing else.

Thanks so much for the help you're giving to me and others here.

Hi, Feartech:

I just got my hack running smoothly on Monterey and was contemplating upgrading to Ventura once the initial bugs are ferreted out. Until I read your reply, I didn't know that Ventura doesn't support Skylake processors like mine. I did some searching and it seems that Ventura dropped support for the Intel HD530 graphics that my hack uses. Is this the extent of the "spoofing" required? I found one guide that discusses the HD530 changes, but nothing else.

Thanks so much for the help you're giving to me and others here.
if you are currently using iMac17,1 then you would use iMac18,1

you would then change your ig-platform-id to 00001259

you would then also change your info.plist in your USBPorts.kext to iMac18,1 (may be listed twice in there)

spoofing works fine on my laptop (using Kabylake laptop smbios and ig-platform-id)

if you are currently using iMac17,1 then you would use iMac18,1

you would then change your ig-platform-id to 00001259

you would then also change your info.plist in your USBPorts.kext to iMac18,1 (may be listed twice in there)

spoofing works fine on my laptop (using Kabylake laptop smbios and ig-platform-id)
Wow. Thank you! I'll have to brush up on @UtterDisbelief 's guide, but I already have a hand-drawn map from my first go-around so it should go more smoothly this time. I'll give this a go when my other work slows down a bit. Thanks so much for your help!

I'm sorry to impose further upon you, Feartech. I didn't realize that I had followed UtterDisbelief's original "A Beginner's Guide to Creating a Custom USB SSDT" and not the new beginner's guide until I saw that my EFI folder contains a "USBMap.kext" that the original guide generated, and not "USBPorts.kext". I did this awhile ago and I think that the three items in my ACPI folder (SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml, SSDT-PLUG-DRTNIA.aml, and SSDT-USB-Reset.aml) were generated at the same time as the kext, but I can't recall.

The new guide shows that there will be three files generated: SSDT-UIAC.aml, SSDT-EC.aml, and USBPorts.kext. It seems I should follow the new guide, delete my existing three .aml files and replace them with the two .aml files, and replace USBMap.kext with USBPorts.kext (with the corresponding revisions to the config.plist file). Am I on track?

Finally, I was surprised that I could open the info.plist file in my existing USBMap.kext and replace iMac17,1 with iMac18,1, which appeared twice as you said. So... would it work if I simply use the USBMap.kext that I edited, change the ig-platform-id to 00001259 in config.plist, and keep my existing three .aml files? I'm totally willing to use the new guide to generate a new kext and .aml files if there is a benefit. Thank you for your guidance.

I'm sorry to impose further upon you, Feartech. I didn't realize that I had followed UtterDisbelief's original "A Beginner's Guide to Creating a Custom USB SSDT" and not the new beginner's guide until I saw that my EFI folder contains a "USBMap.kext" that the original guide generated, and not "USBPorts.kext". I did this awhile ago and I think that the three items in my ACPI folder (SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml, SSDT-PLUG-DRTNIA.aml, and SSDT-USB-Reset.aml) were generated at the same time as the kext, but I can't recall.

The new guide shows that there will be three files generated: SSDT-UIAC.aml, SSDT-EC.aml, and USBPorts.kext. It seems I should follow the new guide, delete my existing three .aml files and replace them with the two .aml files, and replace USBMap.kext with USBPorts.kext (with the corresponding revisions to the config.plist file). Am I on track?

Finally, I was surprised that I could open the info.plist file in my existing USBMap.kext and replace iMac17,1 with iMac18,1, which appeared twice as you said. So... would it work if I simply use the USBMap.kext that I edited, change the ig-platform-id to 00001259 in config.plist, and keep my existing three .aml files? I'm totally willing to use the new guide to generate a new kext and .aml files if there is a benefit. Thank you for your guidance.
you should be fine with the USBMap.kext

keep:
EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml
SSDT-PLUG-DRTNIA.aml
not sure if SSDT-USB-Reset.aml is required as I don't use that

you will not need SSDT-UIAC.aml as that works with USBInjectAll.kext, you either use those 2 files or a USBPorts.kext or in your case USBMap.kext

also you won't be able to use the new guide unless you are running Catalina

I found a handful of posts but nothing definitive on why I have SSDT-USB-Reset.aml in my ACPI folder. I'll take the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach and leave it in when I try the migration. I don't have "SSDT-UIAC.aml" so I'm good on that front.

I'm less than a week into upgrading to Monterey (from Mojave) and everything is working well. But knowing that Ventura (and probably subsequent macOS updates) will require these patches, I'm thinking of doing it while it's fresh in my mind. Thanks again for everything!

Yes, I forgot to change my system signature - I have no skylake anymore. I have now an Intel i5 9400 with
ASUS TUF Motherboard B360M-E.
My System is an iMac18,1 - will this may causes the OTA-Update problem? It try to update 1-2sek after shutdown and break this process and do a reboot (skip the update).
So is it right, that may a correct system spoofing and editing the USB-Kext (with the correct system-ID) will may solve this problem?

Yes, I forgot to change my system signature - I have no skylake anymore. I have now an Intel i5 9400 with
ASUS TUF Motherboard B360M-E.
My System is an iMac18,1 - will this may causes the OTA-Update problem? It try to update 1-2sek after shutdown and break this process and do a reboot (skip the update).
So is it right, that may a correct system spoofing and editing the USB-Kext (with the correct system-ID) will may solve this problem?
my reply was based on your hardware profile at the time being a Skylake system, hence the need to spoof a Kabylake

iMac18,1 should not have any issues with Ventura or with updates via system references

may be a setting in your config.plist causing issues

Back