Contribute
Register

Problem with System showing "You must restart your computer"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone.

I'm experiencing the same problem.

I've tried re-installing the Snow Leopard (retail) and also the Snow Leopard Server. (I am currently using the server version)
I have 12 GB of RAM, and already have replaced them from CORSAIR to Kingstom.

When I try to install the new feature of the latest version of Multibeast, it also crashes and shows the message. But the difference from a normal crash is that after trying to use multibeast the MAC OS stops working, and I have to restore my system from a backup using TimeMachine.

Just for the record, everything seems to be working well: audio, ethernet, video, 64bits, 12GB RAM, everything OK.

What should I do?

Thanks, and all the best from Brazil!

I'm not having these problems, but I wonder: How many of you have voltages/timing set on auto in BIOS?

When I first ran the system at stock settings, I had cold boot kp when booting into OS X even after proving the system using Prime 95 in Win7 and overnight memtest (bootable CD). (I'm referring to the system in my sig.) That was with optimized default BIOS settings plus the few changes needed to use Hackintosh.

Surprisingly, once I started overclocking-- my system became more stable, and these problems went away. I don't think it was the overclocking itself that mattered... but that I was progressively changing more and more voltages from "auto" to some specific setting. In some cases, I actually reduced voltages and tightened RAM timings.

Anyway, even if you're not interested in actually changing the frequencies of your ram/CPU/QPI, it might help going in and trying to set some of your voltages in BIOS.

This is a good overclocking guide that gives you some details on what voltages to try:
http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/ ... -gulftown/

Of course, if you're going to mess with this stuff, it makes sense to do enough research so that you don't end up frying your system. And before you start, I would definitely recommend running a memtest86+ test overnight to put your memory through multiple test cycles.

Hello everyone.
Thanks for the efforts.

Justruss, I've tried different voltages before, but since I have no knowledge about it the only thing I got was not boot. Ok, I got out of it resetting the CMOS.
Checking the Gigabyte's website I've noticed that my mobo has several BIOS updates, and one of them was supposed to fix the mem voltage.
Guess what: it worked!

I'm stress testing my computer for over 14 hours, and and seems to be ok.

Afterwords, I hope I can get the right knowledge to overclock wisely.

Just one thing before i finish this post. When everything seemed to be working fine, I decided to update the audio settings, using the correct DST.
I was updating ONLY THE AUDIO KEXTs.
Didn't work.
When it was finishing the instalation the same message "You must restart your computer" appeared again. I tried to restart but it appeared once again. I had to restore my computer using timemachine once again. OK, no problem.

Sorry guys, I know this audio thing is another post, but since the message came up...

All the best from Brazil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back