CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello guys. I searched up and down for the internet and I found no solution.

I have a Dell UP2715k connected to my Intel 530 via DisplayPort 1.2 (DP on mobo - mDP on monitor) and I have a fully working accelerated GPU with a 2160p 60hz resolution without artifacts. The monitor is reported compatible with Mac, DP-mDP on the Dell website. BUT it's pratically unusable, because everything is too small.

In the Monitor settings I can change that, keeping the monitor 2160p resolution and making everything look like a 1080p (or worse) resolution. But a 1080p it's way too big! I need a 1440p or an intermediate custom resolution scale betweek 2160p and 1440p. I don't need a custom resolution (I achieved that with SwitchResX), I need 2160p resolution but with everything bigger.

zquef5n.jpg

Do you know if there is a guide,or there is something I am missing, to make a custom scale resolution in the monitor settings?

I have tried the HiDPI custom guide here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/adding-using-hidpi-custom-resolutions.133254/
It was very long and frustrating because I don't fully understand if this HiDPI resolution is what I am looking for, and the guide was pretty complex, furthermore it didn't work (maybe because with SwitchResX I made a mess of settings). I will try again with a clean install if you say that HiDPI resolution is what i need :D

Sorry for my bad English, and thank you for your help in advance.

Full configuration:
i5 6500
H170 Pro Gaming Asus
1x8gb RAM Kingston 2133
240gb Crucial SSD BX200

You can use SwitchResX to add custom HiDPI resolutions (unless they're not there by default).

Example: To add "2560x1440 (HiDPI)", you'll need to make sure that both 2560x1440 AND 5120x2880 are available. After a reboot, you should find 1440p HiDPI, which will use the displays full resolution (2160p), but scale everything to a logical resolution of 2560x1440.

I tried, but if I add 5k (5120x2880) it says "Not activated - Invalid?"

So I can't add it.

I tried the same. I think this is not possible with the Intel integrated graphics because their maximum framebuffer size is 4k (I guess), but only with dedicated GPUs (which hopefully would let you emulate 5120x2880 and then downscale that to your 4k monitor if that's what you mean).

I think that is not possible with the Intel 530. At least not with the drivers that we have now. I will buy a dedicated GPU and then I will install Mac again, for now I am just using Windows.

If someone has a solution, we're here to hear :D

Here's some notes on the limits of the 530:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back