Contribute
Register

Problem with new Unibeast 4.0 app

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/unibeast/136813-note-unibeast-not-recognizing-usb-drives.html

UniBeast was always designed to work with USB sticks. It was never designed or promised to work on external hard drives.

That may be true but it was working in 3.0 and now it doesn't in 4.0. Allowing the install from USB hard drives significantly shortens the install time and as far as I can see, there is no technical reason why it suddenly doesnt work other than Unibeast 4.0 is restricting it.

Also, to be clear, that link does not explain why USB hard drives used just fine with 3.0 are not working with 4.0. Microsoft did not break into my office and flash the firmware on all my USB drives :lol:

That may be true but it was working in 3.0 and now it doesn't in 4.0. Allowing the install from USB hard drives significantly shortens the install time and as far as I can see, there is no technical reason why it suddenly doesnt work other than Unibeast 4.0 is restricting it.

Also, to be clear, that link does not explain why USB hard drives used just fine with 3.0 are not working with 4.0. Microsoft did not break into my office and flash the firmware on all my USB drives :lol:

It's a free tool, you're under no obligation to use it. It doesn't work for you because you want to work outside it's specified limits. It's frustrating (for you) but it's your problem.

To quote the Wizard of id - "He who has the gold makes the rules".

Working in 3.0 doesn't mean it's supported as Obvious Answer Man stated.

If you read the post, USB stick manufacturers have been slowing making the change. So far we've only seen the issue with recent Sandisk drives, USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. I personally use a PNY 32GB USB 3.0 disk and tonymac uses a Patriot 32GB USB 3.0 with no issues.

We are working on trying to get the Sandisk drives to work but we won't promise support for the external hard drives.

It's a free tool, you're under no obligation to use it. It doesn't work for you because you want to work outside it's specified limits. It's frustrating (for you) but it's your problem.

To quote the Wizard of id - "He who has the gold makes the rules".

Ouch! That left a mark! :lol: I used a hard drive under 3.0 after reading advice on these forums... and based on other postings I have seen, I am not the only one.

If UniBeast 4.0 ONLY works with USB sticks now then fair enough but that should be clearly stated somewhere (not by you but by the devs) so people like me who used hard drives under 3.0 would know that was a fact and adjust our plans accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back