Contribute
Register

problem with implementing native power management(I3-3217-U)

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
I3-3217-U
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,the cpu model is I3-3217-u and i'm not unable to make speedstep work by following this guide http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-guide-native-power-management-laptops-4.html.

i got the error of "p-state stepper error 18 at step 19". if i remove the sstd.aml file from EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/,it can boot all right. what have i done wrong? anyone can help me?

20160127_031924.jpg

Hello,the cpu model is I3-3217-u and i'm not unable to make speedstep work by following this guide http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-guide-native-power-management-laptops-4.html.

i got the error of "p-state stepper error 18 at step 19". if i remove the sstd.aml file from EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/,it can boot all right. what have i done wrong? anyone can help me?

View attachment 174007

Add -xcpm to config.plist/Boot/Arguments. Make sure config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelPm=true.

Don't forget to regenerate SSDT.aml.

I'm running 10.11 on a DC3217BY Intel NUC (same CPU).

One option is to enable XCPM as RehabMan suggests. When I did that it worked 99.9% of the time but I also got a random kernel panic and reboot every few hours or days - not frequent but it happened enough times that it clearly wasn't a one-off occurrence.

Another option is to use an SSDT generated with ssdtPRGen.sh options "-lfm 900 -w 3" and no XCPM. I'm currently doing that and it seems to be a lot more stable (at least so far - it's only a few days since I made the change but no crashes so far). The tradeoff is the CPU only steps down to 900MHz, not 800. Up to you to decide if that's a significant problem.

There's a thread that suggests it might be possible to get to 800MHz with other options but I haven't tried that. I think the thread was https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/issues/135 but I can't check right now because the github server is giving an error.

I'm not 100% sure the crashes I was seeing were anything to do with XCPM, so you may not have any problems with it. However enabling XCPM does give an error in the system log on startup so it looks like something isn't right under the hood. Disabling XCPM and using "-lfm 900 -w 3" gives no errors in the system log.

I'm running 10.11 on a DC3217BY Intel NUC (same CPU).

One option is to enable XCPM as RehabMan suggests. When I did that it worked 99.9% of the time but I also got a random kernel panic and reboot every few hours or days - not frequent but it happened enough times that it clearly wasn't a one-off occurrence.

Another option is to use an SSDT generated with ssdtPRGen.sh options "-lfm 900 -w 3" and no XCPM. I'm currently doing that and it seems to be a lot more stable (at least so far - it's only a few days since I made the change but no crashes so far). The tradeoff is the CPU only steps down to 900MHz, not 800. Up to you to decide if that's a significant problem.

There's a thread that suggests it might be possible to get to 800MHz with other options but I haven't tried that. I think the thread was https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/issues/135 but I can't check right now because the github server is giving an error.

I'm not 100% sure the crashes I was seeing were anything to do with XCPM, so you may not have any problems with it. However enabling XCPM does give an error in the system log on startup so it looks like something isn't right under the hood. Disabling XCPM and using "-lfm 900 -w 3" gives no errors in the system log.

it works exactly as you described. but the ssdt patch i downloaded from somewhere can step down to 800MHz and i have no idea how it's patched. you can test it if you are interested

Attachments

• SSDT.aml
    892 bytes · Views: 165
  • SSDT-1.aml
    408 bytes · Views: 163
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back