Contribute
Register

Problem w/resolution - Geforce 7600 GS. Help? Or new card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm trying to put together a Snow Leopard (10.6.3) Hackintosh. I've made good progress thanks to the Tonymac tools (I just donated accordingly), and am stuck with the resolution on 1280 x 1024. The Dell 20" monitor I'd like to use supports 1600x1200, and I've been trying to get it to recognize this mode.

I'm running a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard, i7-920, and a Geforce 7600 GS card.

I've found some posts indicating that

"Because 64-bit driver support for 7xxx series cards was removed in 10.6.3.
You have to use older drivers or boot in 32-bit mode. "

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12685&p=81297&hilit=7600#p81297

I had symptoms very like "Noob's" as described above during installation, with the flashing blue screen. See also

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofive ... 14194.html

for more detail, but it's pretty confusing.

I've tried editing the com.apple.Boot.plist file to include

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1600x1200x32</string>

(http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... creen.html)

But no matter where I edit that file (I've read conflicting advice), nothing changes - still locked at 1280x1024.

If there is a simple answer I would love to get it. But if there is an inexpensive ($50-$180) card that won't be too loud (2D graphics only & web pages, no gaming), and will install without pain, please make a suggestion and I'll run right out and get it.

I went and bought a EVGA GTS 450 for $136. It worked pretty much instantly.

Audio followed later, here was the recipe:

"1. Delete ALL HDA's (AppleHDA, VooDooHDA, LegacyHDA, Ect.) in S/L/E including the one that was put on your Hackintosh with the install.
2. Download the latest version of Multibeast (if you do not have it already from tonymacx86/downloads) (Multibeast 3.3.0)
3. Select System Utilities and then Drivers & Boot loaders/Kexts & Enablers/Audio/Realtek ALC8xx/
If you have a DSDT:
Select ALC8xxHDA and AppleHDA RollBack

If you don't have a DSDT:
Select ALC8xxHDA, AppleHDA Rollback, and your specific codec from the Non-DSDT HDAEnabler.
4. Install (don't forget to have system utilities checked off)
5. Reboot your system
6. When your system boots up Push the down arrow on Chameleon select boot verbose

That should work, that's whats been working for all my systems.
"

Quoted from:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15746&hilit=realtek

I am also now able to use the DSDT for the GA-EX58-UD4P downloaded from the tonymac site.

Now if I could get sleep working, I'd be 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back