Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi all,

I have an Intel NUC hackintosh I'd been using happily and it was connected to a 27" Dell 2007WFP monitor, running at 1920x1200 resolution. A great little Mac Mini replacement by the way, easily my favorite hackintosh build.

However, recently I replaced the monitor with the higher res Asus PB278Q monitor, and I guess it tried to sync it to 2560x1080 resolution, which is Asus' native resolution. I immediately got a funky screen. Half the vertical space was gone and on top I get three panes of the same screen that is interlaced with static lines, virtually unable to read or even see much of anything.

Fumbling around, I managed to bring it down to manually bring it down to 1920x1080 res, but I still get the funky screen. And here's the kicker. When I force the NUC to go to sleep by pressing the power button lightly, and wake it back up, the screen comes back fine.

But when I reboot, the funky screen comes back, and only a forced sleep and wake would fix this.

I thought perhaps it had to do with some video driver problem in Mountain Lion, so I upgraded to Mavericks (using Unibeast 3.0 and Multibeast 6.0 afterwards)... but no go, same funky screen problem at boot, and again only forced sleep/wake fixes the problem.

Anyone else with a NUC and a hi-res monitor have this problem? Anyone have a fix for it? I'm just living with it for now by doing the sleep/wake but it's a pain.

I made sure the HDMI cable is 1.4 compliant (Amazon basic HDMI that has hi speed ethernet capability - whatever that means). If anyone can tell me what the hell I've done wrong and can suggest a fix, I'd be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance.

S

Hi all,

I have an Intel NUC hackintosh I'd been using happily and it was connected to a 27" Dell 2007WFP monitor, running at 1920x1200 resolution. A great little Mac Mini replacement by the way, easily my favorite hackintosh build.

However, recently I replaced the monitor with the higher res Asus PB278Q monitor, and I guess it tried to sync it to 2560x1080 resolution, which is Asus' native resolution. I immediately got a funky screen. Half the vertical space was gone and on top I get three panes of the same screen that is interlaced with static lines, virtually unable to read or even see much of anything.

Fumbling around, I managed to bring it down to manually bring it down to 1920x1080 res, but I still get the funky screen. And here's the kicker. When I force the NUC to go to sleep by pressing the power button lightly, and wake it back up, the screen comes back fine.

But when I reboot, the funky screen comes back, and only a forced sleep and wake would fix this.

I thought perhaps it had to do with some video driver problem in Mountain Lion, so I upgraded to Mavericks (using Unibeast 3.0 and Multibeast 6.0 afterwards)... but no go, same funky screen problem at boot, and again only forced sleep/wake fixes the problem.

Anyone else with a NUC and a hi-res monitor have this problem? Anyone have a fix for it? I'm just living with it for now by doing the sleep/wake but it's a pain.

I made sure the HDMI cable is 1.4 compliant (Amazon basic HDMI that has hi speed ethernet capability - whatever that means). If anyone can tell me what the hell I've done wrong and can suggest a fix, I'd be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance.

S

I don't know if it is still the case with HD4000, but with HD3000 you cannot drive a monitor with a resolution higher than 1920x1200 with HDMI. You must use a dual-link DVI for that or DisplayPort. I use a Dell U3011 with my Sandy Bridge desktop system at 2560x1600 with a DisplayPort cable.

That would be a problem, then, since the NUC has neither a DVI or displayport.

And also, I'm not trying to do the monitor's max res of 2560x1080. I'll be happy with just 1920x1080. It seems to get scrambled even at the lower resolution.

Any other advice?

S

That would be a problem, then, since the NUC has neither a DVI or displayport.

And also, I'm not trying to do the monitor's max res of 2560x1080. I'll be happy with just 1920x1080. It seems to get scrambled even at the lower resolution.

Any other advice?

S

Try the graphics mode boot flags:

"Graphics Mode"=1920x1080x32

It can be entered into /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist if it works...

If you mean putting the following entry into the org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>

I've done that already to no avail. This scrambling of video occurs even when I booted up a Unibeast stick to do a fresh install. And the only solution to descramble the video is to put the NUC to sleep by pressing the power button, and then after it's asleep, wake it with my keyboard. That seems to be only way to descramble.

Please help!

S

If you mean putting the following entry into the org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>

I've done that already to no avail. This scrambling of video occurs even when I booted up a Unibeast stick to do a fresh install. And the only solution to descramble the video is to put the NUC to sleep by pressing the power button, and then after it's asleep, wake it with my keyboard. That seems to be only way to descramble.

Please help!

S

Does it also happen with a 1080p monitor?

Does the Intel NUC only has a HDMI port or can it use its Thunderbolt port as an DisplayPort? I am not sure the HDMI support the 2560x1440 resolution. I use the Thunderbolt of my Z77X-UPTH motherboard and a Thunderbolt-to-DisplayPort cable to connect to my ASUS PB278Q. I get full 2560x1440 resolution - both in 10.8 and 10.9.

I do have a thunderbolt port, and I suppose I can get a tb->dp adapter... if I wanted 2560x1440.

And no, the HDMI output on the NUC is not capable of 2560x1440 (even with the latest 1.4 compliant HDMI cable), at least not under OSX. In OSX, the best I can get is 1080p.

HOWEVER, even when doing 1080p (ie, 1920x1080), the video boots up scrambled. And the only way to fix it is to put it to sleep and wake it up, after which the video's perfect.

After some playing around, I noticed that it does not do this in Mountain Lion 10.8.3, where the video from install to usage works as it should. Only from 10.8.4 (and Mavericks) is it scrambled. Problem is, I wanna use Mavericks.

Can anyone tell me what's changed since 10.8.4 in terms of video (specifically in the area of HD4000, HDMI and the NUC) that would cause this?

Or am I totally off the wall here and I'm the only one facing this problem????

S

Another thing to add is that I also have a mid-2010 13" MBP hooked up to this monitor via displayport, and there's no video problem, and I get full 2560x1440 fine.

Also, i have a z77-ud5h hackintosh hooked up via dual-dvi link to the same monitor, and I have no scrambling and can get full 2560x1440. Again no problem, absolutely perfect in fact.

It's just the NUC with the HDMI. I can live without the full resolution, but it should be more than capable of doing 1920x1080, but it's coming up scrambled on boot, and it's driving me crazy, since the NUC is my favorite hackintosh right now and this is becoming a pretty big blemish.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back