Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6870 1GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi you all!

I'm having trouble with my 500GB Seagate 7200rpm SATA3 6gb/s HDD.
I'm using Lion 10.7.2 and in the More info of the About this Mac section it shows it's running at 1.5 gb/s. I think the system is running slow because of this (iTunes took about 40 minutos to import 20gb of data into it's library).

The HDD is connected to the blue SATA 2 port number 2 (the 0 and 1 port are the white SATA 3 ports) of my motherboard.

My questions about the subject are:
1) Can I connect the HDD to the SATA 3 port? I read in this forum that Lion doesn't work when using those ports, is that right? In case I can use this ports, i just swap the connector or do I need to do any configuration?
2) In case the question one is not the way to go, how can I set up my HDD to work at 3gb/s?

Thanks in advance!

daraio said:
Hi you all!

I'm having trouble with my 500GB Seagate 7200rpm SATA3 6gb/s HDD.
I'm using Lion 10.7.2 and in the More info of the About this Mac section it shows it's running at 1.5 gb/s. I think the system is running slow because of this (iTunes took about 40 minutos to import 20gb of data into it's library).

The HDD is connected to the blue SATA 2 port number 2 (the 0 and 1 port are the white SATA 3 ports) of my motherboard.

My questions about the subject are:
1) Can I connect the HDD to the SATA 3 port? I read in this forum that Lion doesn't work when using those ports, is that right? In case I can use this ports, i just swap the connector or do I need to do any configuration?
2) In case the question one is not the way to go, how can I set up my HDD to work at 3gb/s?

Thanks in advance!
I am using port 0 (SATA3) with LION. You should be able to change the cable to that port with no problem. I have not run across a thread with LION having a problem with SATA3 ports.
As always, do a clone first.

JohnnyMac2001 said:
I am using port 0 (SATA3) with LION. You should be able to change the cable to that port with no problem. I have not run across a thread with LION having a problem with SATA3 ports.
As always, do a clone first.

Thanks for replying. I'll try to just swap the connector of my HDD to the white SATA3 port and see how it goes. Your HDD is working at 6gb/s?

One of the posts I was refering was this one.

daraio said:
Thanks for replying. I'll try to just swap the connector of my HDD to the white SATA3 port and see how it goes. Your HDD is working at 6gb/s?

One of the posts I was refering was this one.
I would think his Bluray player was not SATA3. I wouldn't plug any drive into a SATA3 port that wasn't SATA3.
I have a OCZ Agility in port 0 and a SATA3 Western Digital 1TB in port 1 :thumbup:

JohnnyMac2001 said:
daraio said:
I would think his Bluray player was not SATA3. I wouldn't plug any drive into a SATA3 port that wasn't SATA3.
I have a OCZ Agility in port 0 and a SATA3 Western Digital 1TB in port 1 :thumbup:

I took your advice and everything is working correctly! I plugged the HDD into the SATA3 port 0 and my DVDRW into the SATA2 port 2.

The HDD is now correctly detected and working at 6gb/s.

Thanks a million! :thumb up:

PD: On a complete unrelated topic, I have 1x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz and Lion shows it´s working at 1333Mhz. My BIOS is set to 1600Mhz, in fact Windows shows 1600Mhz. Any idea on this?

daraio said:
I took your advice and everything is working correctly! I plugged the HDD into the SATA3 port 0 and my DVDRW into the SATA2 port 2.

The HDD is now correctly detected and working at 6gb/s.

Thanks a million! :thumb up:

PD: On a complete unrelated topic, I have 1x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz and Lion shows it´s working at 1333Mhz. My BIOS is set to 1600Mhz, in fact Windows shows 1600Mhz. Any idea on this?

Great! I have seen several issues commenting on this and my memory is 1600Mhz as well reading at 1333 Mhz. I set my memory to 1600 Mhz in bios and it reset to the lower speed. Haven't pursued it further, but may do that next week. :thumbup:

JohnnyMac2001 said:
daraio said:

Great! I have seen several issues commenting on this and my memory is 1600Mhz as well reading at 1333 Mhz. I set my memory to 1600 Mhz in bios and it reset to the lower speed. Haven't pursued it further, but may do that next week. :thumbup:

I searched the forum and google and this method worked for me:
1. On your BIOS configure de XMP to 1
2. Configure the multiplier for the memory until it shows 1600Mhz
3. Configue the timings and voltage of the memory. My Kingston HyperX (KHX1600C9D3/4G): 9-9-9-27 and 1.65v
4. Save and exit

Attachments

• About this Mac.png
    About this Mac.png
    691.5 KB · Views: 128
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back