Contribute
Register

Problem getting smbios part of config.plist working for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, yes, I'd seen the smUUID prompt, keen to get it working because apparently iMessage and so on need it to be working.
I since used the Clover installer on the hard drive, selecting UEFI, but I think it took note that an EFI partition already existed and didn't install files from the i386 (it can't have formatted the EFI partition because a few of my existing files remained). I use a very old manual way of installing Clover from some old instructions for doing so.

I mount Clover ISO and put i386 to desktop and put the/or my EFI folder in there, the I open Terminal, sudo -s and password and then cd the i386 folder and then

sudo newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk0s1
sudo mkdir /Volumes/EFI
sudo mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI/
sudo fdisk -f boot0ss -u -y /dev/rdisk0
dd if=/dev/rdisk0s1 count=1 bs=512 of=origbs
cp boot1f32alt newbs
dd if=origbs of=newbs skip=3 seek=3 bs=1 count=87 conv=notrunc
dd if=newbs of=/dev/rdisk0s1 count=1 bs=512
cp -R EFI /Volumes/EFI
cp -R EFI-Backups /Volumes/EFI
sudo umount -f /Volumes/EFI/*
exit Terminal, open terminal, sudo -s, password
fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
f 1
w
y
q
rm -rf /Volumes/EFI
Occasionally I have to go into gparted (live boot CD) and remove the boot flag from the EFI partition and reinstate the boot flag with gparted.

I am sure some of that has been deprecated and if you or anyone else has an updated version for UEFI boards and so on, it would be great to see.

sudo newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk0s1
sudo mkdir /Volumes/EFI
sudo mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI/
sudo fdisk -f boot0ss -u -y /dev/rdisk0
dd if=/dev/rdisk0s1 count=1 bs=512 of=origbs
cp boot1f32alt newbs
dd if=origbs of=newbs skip=3 seek=3 bs=1 count=87 conv=notrunc
dd if=newbs of=/dev/rdisk0s1 count=1 bs=512
cp -R EFI /Volumes/EFI
cp -R EFI-Backups /Volumes/EFI
sudo umount -f /Volumes/EFI/*

The red lines above are installing the bootloaders (stage 1 w/ boot0ss, stage 2 w/boot1f32alt). You can read more here: http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/What-is-what.

You don't need any of this for a UEFI only installation. I'm not familiar enough with fdisk to tell you 100% how to revert these changes. You could try backing up your BOOT and CLOVER folders, format disk0s1, mount it, and copy the folders back. Basically what's quoted above without the red parts. At least that would get rid of the stage 2 bootloader, which should then not show in clover menu. No guarantee though.. fdisk is pretty close to the metal and you could end up with a non bootable disk if you make a mistake.

Thanks. I haven't had any problems doing it that way, used to do similar with Chameleon, but the instructions predate my UEFI motherboard and it would be good to see Terminal instructions for a UEFI setup

My take on it: just use the installer. I'm all for doing things from the command line as it's often faster and you can control what's happening. But in the case of a UEFI install, it's just copying files around. You're pretty much manually doing what the installer does, except it's doing it with better scripts, making backups, etc for you..

Going the installer route with any of these boot loaders is sensible and saves time but I never learn anything that way or have the pleasure of the kindness of other users helping each other.

I mounted the EFI partitions in turn and copied each EFI folder to desktop, formatted each EFI partition, dragged the EFI folders back to their respective and empty EFI partitions, removed CLOVERX64.efi from the CLOVER folder, as UEFI uses the otherwise I think identical BOOTX64.efi file from the BOOT folder, rebooted and the three 'Boot Clover from EFI' icons/text have gone from my Clover boot menu. I wrote an updated manual install doc for my UEFI motherboard, will keep my old non UEFI ones for my old Acer laptops. I have a few other things I want to sort out with my config.plist but should start a new topic for those, at some point! Many thanks for your help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back