Contribute
Register

PRO VIDEO POST-PRODUCTION Build Advice (new to this)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
OSX
CPU
Graphics
Gainward Phantom
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Windows Phone
dear community,

i want to build a powerhouse machine which will be used professionally for AFTER EFFECTS, DAVINCI RESOLVE & PREMIERE.

allthough WINDOWS would be easier, all our other machines are MAC and we have a nice PRORES workflow :)

over the past few days i have been researching which led me to the following configuration:

CPU
Intel Core i7 3930K Boxed // 500e

CPU Cooling:
Corsair Hydro Series H80 // 90e

Graphics:
GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX 580 3072MB "Phantom" // 530e
GUI: Gainward GeForce GTX 570 1280MB "Phantom" // 300e

Motherboard:
ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 ATX Intel Motherboard // 240e

Memory:
32 GB, CORSAIR DOMINATOR QUAD CHANNEL DDR3 (1600) RAM // 275e

SSD:
Samsung 830 series 256GB // 170e

HDD:
2x Western Digital Black WD2002FAEX, 2TB // 340e

CASING
Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black // 105e

although I have built PCs from the ground up before, this will be my first time hackintoshing. therefor i tried to find parts which require little tweaking.

is this a good configuration, or am i being silly somewhere ? did i forget anything ?? perhaps someone with experience in DAVINCI / AFTER EFFECTS could comfort me/scold me for my selection of graphic cards ? :angel:

Thanks ! :D

I suggest NOT getting an x79 system. Though they do work in OS X they require additional hacking and have no native power management, etc. Since there will never be a real mac using these chips, OS X will never fully support them. I suggest a good gigabyte Z77X board (Z77X-UP5 or Z77X UD5H are good choices) and a 3770K CPU overclocked to 4.5+ ghz.

Everything else looks OK.

Please note that you absolutely do NOT need 2 graphics cards. We are running a single 570 with davinci and can hit 22 operators before we loose realtime, this is much more than we could ever practically use. Also i do not suggest getting a graphics card with more than 2GB of RAM because it requires additional hacking to get OpenCL working.

g\

@genzai if he really uses it for professional after effects etc... then the 6 core cpu will make definitely a difference to a 1155 CPU.
Don't think that in this case he really needs native power management ;)

For the GPU, you should really search some Adobe or After Effects communities to learn about the difference between 5xx and 6xx.

I suggest NOT getting an x79 system. Though they do work in OS X they require additional hacking and have no native power management, etc. Since there will never be a real mac using these chips, OS X will never fully support them. I suggest a good gigabyte Z77X board (Z77X-UP5 or Z77X UD5H are good choices) and a 3770K CPU overclocked to 4.5+ ghz.

Everything else looks OK.

Please note that you absolutely do NOT need 2 graphics cards. We are running a single 570 with davinci and can hit 22 operators before we loose realtime, this is much more than we could ever practically use. Also i do not suggest getting a graphics card with more than 2GB of RAM because it requires additional hacking to get OpenCL working.

g\

Setting up my x79 system was the easiest system I've ever set up, and I've built plenty sandy and ivy systems.

The only drawback is the no power management, but if you want the beastiest mac you can get that's the price to pay, and one day if they release a mac with these chips or not, I stay optimistic that some gifted person on here may figure out how to get that issue solved.

Oh ya, and my 3GB 580 worked OOB with MB nvidia kexts

I'm using Resolve (now version 9) and it clearly states that if you use your graphics card for your display it will not use it for GPU processing. So i have a 580 and 550 ti and that seems to be working well so far. I tried with just the 580 to start with hoping for some miracle but i was getting 7-10fps max with a single node - even with base mem so everything at default. Adding the 550 for the display got me to 25fps with multiple nodes straight away, even with Red r3d raw footage.

Resolve 9 now actually added the 580 with 3GB to the supported list.

Premiere and After Affects seem to work fine with the 580 if you add your card to the list but i haven't really done a lot with them so far. I do use Neat Video though and ran the optimization test and it found that using 6 cores and both GPU's was the fastest way to do noise reduction on my system in AE. I want to try Element soon but haven't had time. Andrew Kramer uses a 580 though in his videos so i should be good.

Hope that helps.

Good choice if After Effects is the main program to be run on this machine. It should fly.

The only suggestion I will add is maybe use a different card for your primary card. Like a 430GT or 240GT. They run without needing additional power from the PSU.

Lastly, as Coupz said. Ask around at the Adobe forums to see what people have to say about GPUs. You may discover that 2 GTX480s or 2 GTX580s will work better for you.

Good luck.

Good choice if After Effects is the main program to be run on this machine. It should fly.

The only suggestion I will add is maybe use a different card for your primary card. Like a 430GT or 240GT. They run without needing additional power from the PSU.

Lastly, as Coupz said. Ask around at the Adobe forums to see what people have to say about GPUs. You may discover that 2 GTX480s or 2 GTX580s will work better for you.

Good luck.

The ram possibilities on the X79 Asus boards. o_O:headbang:

I think I want my power management though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back