Contribute
Register

Pro Users Petition Apple for Info on Future of Mac Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can now get external Pro Tools HD compatible interfaces and DSPs to run TDM plugins that connect over serial interfaces such as firewire and soon USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt.
How can you do this?

Soko251 said:
"A second poll found that 197 people are willing to wait because their "current computer still works fine." 131 others said they would build a "Hackintosh," a custom-built computer running an unauthorized copy of OS X."

Correct me if I'm wrong.. but I thought our copy of OS X is authorized.. I remember paying for it..

Me to, and I Have it on the App Store as proof so they can get on their knees =]

samuelglinglo said:
You can now get external Pro Tools HD compatible interfaces and DSPs to run TDM plugins that connect over serial interfaces such as firewire and soon USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt.
How can you do this?

http://www.uaudio.com/interfaces/apollo.html
http://www.uaudio.com/uad-plug-ins/sate ... e-duo.html

to name a few, there are also other Pro Tools HD compatible boxes from other vendors. Thunderbolt gear is due out by the end of the year because Thunderbolt is coming to PCs so people will actually care about it.

stratmaster458 said:
ybt2009 said:
I would not be very happy at all with apple if they discontinued the mac pro line, neither would a lot of pro users that rely on them. Although I cant afford one yet, I do plan to get a mac pro some day.

Blah101 said:
I really hope they refresh the line. Even though I don't plan on buying one (I run a nice G5 Case), Apple would lose a ton of business. And, if they did revamp it, would be nice if I ever needed one :D

If you really think about it, the Mac Pro is not really necessary in their lineup, it hasn't been updated since 2009 anyways its still running socket 1366 Nehalem based Xeons. The current iMac when configured with the fastest processor will outperform the current Mac Pro, also with two Thunderbolt ports its more than upgradeable.

A lot of folks make the argument that the Mac Pro is necessary and important because it is upgradable, hate to break it but it really isn't. All you can do is add some add on cards, maybe a new video card, and up to 4 hard drives. Thats not very much to upgrade. What you get for your money when you buy Mac Pro isn't very much, but the 27" iMac gets you a lot, you get a high performance computer that runs OS X with no hiccups (unlike hackintoshes) but you also get a high resolution IPS display that can cost over 1000 bucks on its own, thats a pretty good deal.

Most folks in the pro community that are using the macintosh platform buy a machine and use it until it doesn't do what they need, few upgrade a long the way, when the machine can run what they need they buy a new one. Myself and my friends do the same with PCs except maybe upgrade the GPU/RAM but most of us do a rebuild and recycle some parts.

Another point to be made is that nowadays one can get Thunderbolt / Gig ethernet NAS boxes that hold all the harddrives anyone would need in the pro world, music or video editing. You can now get external Pro Tools HD compatible interfaces and DSPs to run TDM plugins that connect over serial interfaces such as firewire and soon USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt.

Yes I agree that it is sad the Mac Pro is going to be discontinued but its not going to leave the Pro community with nothing, the current and future iMacs are equipped with some of the best Intel chips around and extremely fast serial I/O. A future without the Mac Pro isn't that bad so relax folks.

Do you use a Mac Pro?

stratmaster458 said:
ybt2009 said:
I would not be very happy at all with apple if they discontinued the mac pro line, neither would a lot of pro users that rely on them. Although I cant afford one yet, I do plan to get a mac pro some day.

Blah101 said:
I really hope they refresh the line. Even though I don't plan on buying one (I run a nice G5 Case), Apple would lose a ton of business. And, if they did revamp it, would be nice if I ever needed one :D

If you really think about it, the Mac Pro is not really necessary in their lineup, it hasn't been updated since 2009 anyways its still running socket 1366 Nehalem based Xeons. The current iMac when configured with the fastest processor will outperform the current Mac Pro, also with two Thunderbolt ports its more than upgradeable.

A lot of folks make the argument that the Mac Pro is necessary and important because it is upgradable, hate to break it but it really isn't. All you can do is add some add on cards, maybe a new video card, and up to 4 hard drives. Thats not very much to upgrade. What you get for your money when you buy Mac Pro isn't very much, but the 27" iMac gets you a lot, you get a high performance computer that runs OS X with no hiccups (unlike hackintoshes) but you also get a high resolution IPS display that can cost over 1000 bucks on its own, thats a pretty good deal.

Most folks in the pro community that are using the macintosh platform buy a machine and use it until it doesn't do what they need, few upgrade a long the way, when the machine can run what they need they buy a new one. Myself and my friends do the same with PCs except maybe upgrade the GPU/RAM but most of us do a rebuild and recycle some parts.

Another point to be made is that nowadays one can get Thunderbolt / Gig ethernet NAS boxes that hold all the harddrives anyone would need in the pro world, music or video editing. You can now get external Pro Tools HD compatible interfaces and DSPs to run TDM plugins that connect over serial interfaces such as firewire and soon USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt.

Yes I agree that it is sad the Mac Pro is going to be discontinued but its not going to leave the Pro community with nothing, the current and future iMacs are equipped with some of the best Intel chips around and extremely fast serial I/O. A future without the Mac Pro isn't that bad so relax folks.

Yeah, with that hefty HD 6970M that they have to offer in their iMacs. It's a laptop in a less mobile form, it wouldn't stand ground against a Mac Pro graphically, and it definitely wouldn't stand up against a Hackintosh.

the_gael said:
stratmaster458 said:
ybt2009 said:

Blah101 said:

Do you use a Mac Pro?

Yes I do, I work in Pro Tools most of my sessions are 50+ tracks too.The Mac Pro hardly makes use of the GPU, only the processor gets used. The iMac is only lacking in a GPU but lets face it no one games on a mac its just silly, video editing and modeling don't need insanely powerful GPUs all the rendering is done on a CPU anyway.

Come back to me when imacs have esata and fiber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back