Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
[TL;DR - Pro Tools 9 won't install (Input/output error)]

Hello everyone

This is my first time posting on this board (or really any online discussion board for that matter) so please forgive me if I am overlooking any basic discussion board etiquette or if I have omitted some crucial information. This is all new to me and I look forward to learning along the way!

I've never been a very computer savvy person but I recently took a HUGE leap and decided to build myself a Hackintosh (largely as a cost saving maneuver). I have been making beats & instrumentals in my free time, but it's a hobby I take very seriously, so I decided to invest in a new music-dedicated computer.

Here's everything I've done up until now:
1) Assembled the hardware
2) Ran I-Boot
3) Installed Snow Leopard
4) Updated to 10.6.7
5) Via Multibeast, installed 'EasyBeast' and 'System Utilities'
6) Physically installed M-Audio sound card
7) Unsuccessfully attempted to deal with the M-Audio software and get my computer to recognize the new card (*)
8) Via Multibeast, installed VoodooHDA 0.2.72
8) Successfully installed Audacity, Wavepad, and Reason 5
9) Unsuccessfully attempted to install ProTools 9 (the reason given was "Input/output error")

Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong / how to fix this? My hardware specs should be listed in my signature

Thanks so much

(*) - while I do want to get the M-Audio card running, the motherboard has a decent built-in sound card, so for the time being, I don't really care - getting Pro Tools installed is a much higher priority!

It might be how you've defined you Hack when you ran MultiBeast. What is your system defined as in the System Profiler? Check your Pro Tools system requirements. You may have defined your Hack as a Mac that's not compatible with the version of Pro Tools your trying to install.

Thanks for your response!

I ran system profiler, and my computer is listed as: Mac3, 1

I looked up the ProTools system requirements and under Mac Pro, I didn't see Mac3, 1 listed, just names such as Westmere, Nehalem, etc
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfser ... cId=380547

I did some googling and it seems that (correct me if I'm wrong) Mac3, 1 isn't necessary a different model, but a category that some of those fall under or something? I'm pretty confused about this as I can't really find a clear explanation

Regardless, for the sake of trial and error I went ahead and used Multibeast to install the MacPro 4,1 file under Mac Pro system definitions. I restarted my computer, and oddly enough, I reran System Profiler and it still lists my model as MacPro3, 1! (Also, I tried installing Pro Tools again and got the same error as before)

Thanks! I tried what you suggested, and edited smbios.plist directly to indicate MacPro4,1 instead of MacPro3,1. Oddly, even after restarting, this change was not reflected in the System Profiler.

That said, I still managed to get Pro Tools to install. To make a long story short, I tried using a slightly different version of PT 9 and the installation process was successful. There are still some issues though....

The program itself is definitely launching. But when I try to open a session, I receive the following PT error message:

Could not create a new document because
Assertion in "/Volumes/Development/
ws.ProTools_9.0x/AlturaPorts/DFW/
MacBuild/../Views/UMenu.MacOS.mm" line

I have tried both creating a new session and opening an existing session, and I get the same result either way. I have no idea whether this is purely a Hackintosh issue or a Pro Tools issue (or both). My googling so far hasn't really given me any conclusive answers.

Could this be related to the system definition issue? Or perhaps my sound card?

Hmm alright... thank you very much for that information, I'll use it to help direct further research on the issue

I'll post back if I am successful or if I find anything new

Success!!!

I went on to try messing around with I/O settings for Pro Tools (even though I couldn't launch any sessions, I was able to run PT itself) and I noticed that PT was sometimes giving me the following notification:

"The current playback engine does not support a sample rate of 192 kHz."

Based on this, and Khanaset's feedback regarding the other error message (about the assertion), I started to think that maybe the audio card my computer was using (whatever card is built into my Asus motherboard) was not sufficient for running PT 9. Remember, I had physically installed my purchased sound card (M-Audio Audiophile 2496), but had not yet been able to get my computer to recognize it.

I switched my strategy, and from that point onward, focused on trying to get my sound card to work. After searching some other boards, I found this website:
http://www.audio-evolution.com/drivers/
from which I downloaded the Envy 24 driver (compatible with Snow Leopard and my M-Audio card). I installed it, and was very happy to hear sound coming out of the M-Audio card's output!

Finally, I opened up PT and switched the preferred output to the Envy 24 driver. After saving this setting, I successfully opened my first Pro Tools session!

Thank you very much for all the help!

Haha yeah... it was definitely something I meant to address eventually, but the fact that I was able to kill two birds with one stone was a nice surprise :D

Have a nice evening!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back