Graphics
ZOTAC ZT-20404-20L GeForce GT 240 1GB 128-bit
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have a working CustoMac running a Pro Tools HD3 Accel PCI-X system with OSX 10.8.4 and Pro Tools 10 HD version 10.3.6. Everything works, but the GA-H55-USB3 is obsolete. I'm considering upgrading to an Ivy Bridge system. Problem is, its very time-consuming looking for a modern mobo with three consecutive PCI-X slots with native support. Can anyone point me to a Golden Build for Pro Tools HD3 PCI-X, or a reliable mobo that meets those specs?

I'm also looking for a 2-slot version of the same for another build.

Thanks in advance,

Sonorelli

Thanks! I don't see a DSDT for that mobo, would that be a problem? I see some other threads with folks building HD systems with it. I'll try to read up on it.

Thanks! I don't see a DSDT for that mobo, would that be a problem? I see some other threads with folks building HD systems with it. I'll try to read up on it.

7 series mainboards with UEFI BIOS do not need a DSDT unless you want to have audio over HDMI.

Those are PCI, not PCIx on that board. I don't think it will work for ProTools HD3 since it requires 3 PCIx slots.

Those are PCI, not PCIx on that board. I don't think it will work for ProTools HD3 since it requires 3 PCIx slots.

PCI-x is backwards compatible with PCI. Depending on the card, it should work, if it was designed to work on 5V as well as 3.3V.

PCI-x is 3.3V and PCI is 5V. There is a difference in the way the connector at the bottom of the card is cut.
If it is cut one way, it is PCI only. Cut another way it is PCI-X only. Cut a third way it is universal and will work in either. Compare the open slots on the connector strip to the partition strips in the PCI slot. Basically, if the card will fit the slot, it should work, but check your vendor's site and the specs on your card.

Pro Tools conventional PCI cards are full-length 32-bit, 33 MHz cards. They're not really PCI-X (64-bit, 66 MHz) other than size. They have a section of the edge connector that sits outside a conventional PCI slot, but its not used and doesn't affect anything. Some folks used to cut it off with a Dremel if heat sinks get in the way.

Hello fellow Pro Tools HD users.
After months of laboring over this build (should I or shouldn't I?) I can today (jinx?) say I have a very stable and successful HD4 PCI build. I DID NOT have to make any alterations to the heat sink as outlined in freddar's incredibility helpful video.
You do have to follow his guide carefully and make note of the deletions and MultiBeast info. This is a must!

From freddarr:
Important to update to Bios F9
Disable Intel Virtulization Technology
Sata mode AHCI
Super IO Cofiguration Disable Serial Port and Parallel

Boot from Unibeat USB 10.8.2 (I booted from 10.8.4 with no problem)
Install OS
Update to 10.8.3 and erase the AppleTyMCEDriver in S\L\Extensions if don’t erase it you will have PK.

YOU MUST erase the AppleTyMCEDriver in S\L\Extensions!!!

Multibeast 5.2.1
UserDSDT or DSDT-Free
887Audio\Realtek\WithoutDSDT\ALC887\888b
(Make sure you select Current as your option here and 3 port audio.)

Trim Enabler\ 10.8.1 if you use a SSD
Network\Realtek - Lnx2Mac
Bootloader\Chimera
System Definition\MAcPro 5,1

Restart

GT 520 Out of Box in 10.8.3 and the sound is working.
Had no problem installing protools 9.5 It works awsome.
Here is a video I made
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-CbC8U7X_w
I hope this might help.

Very nicely done freddarr!!

I was able to just use electrical tape over the last row of "teeth" on the first two (core and 1st Accel) cards and they fit tight but nicely between the heatsink ridges. The 3rd Accel card covers the Sata3 port but I pushed the card to fit the sata cable in and the 4th card goes in with no obstruction at all.

I'm still in the process of checking things but I had the system up all day yesterday mixing a small but plugin filled session with no problems.

My primary HD is a SATA 3(SATA 6Gb/s) 120GB SSD
I'm running ML 10.8.4 / Pro Tools 10HD (10.3.6) / Pro Tools 10 Native (10.3.6) / Pro Tools 11 Native (11.0.1)
I found some problems with PT 10.3.7 so I went back to 10.3.6

Using the digital output on the P75 MB I can switch between the TDM engine and the Native engine if that's what you were wondering.
I have a UA2192 that I use as my D/A converter or you can simply use the line output on the P75 and let the MB convert for you.
I've tried it both ways.
The Mac OS AudioMidi setup is where you'll change this. I have some small self powered monitors connected to the green line output jack for this.

Here are some other hardware specific details.

I've got a UAD quad card in the (1st) PCIe x1 slot working.
A GeForce 9500GT video card in the (2nd) PCIex16 slot with both DVI outputs working. One to a Cinema Display (DVI > ADC). The other to a TV monitor (DVI > HDMI).
PCI slots 1 > 4 (3rd > 6th) are occupied by the Digidesign Core and Accel cards.
The final PCIex4 slot is occupied by a Rosewill RC-230 SataIII Raid Controller card.
This gives me additional Sata and e-Sata capacity. This MB has no firewire or thunderbolt connectivity.
I've also put a Plextor M5M PX-256M5M mSATA SSD into the MBs m-Sata slot as a clone of the primary SSD.

So as you can see, this build is quite full and everything works nicely.
I have full USB 3 speed and full SATA 3(SATA 6Gb/s) speed as far as I can tell.

I'll keep you all posted if something changes.

Hello its very interest i setup old hd with this mobo too

Maybe you make photo tape and heatshink

You add 9500 gt to your config for free 1 pci slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back