Graphics
/
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm building a new CustoMac and I intend to use just hardware from the latest buyer's guide. But the catch is I need to have a system that's compatible with Avid Pro Tools HD2 PCI (that's PCI as in 1993, not PCIe) cards.

The setup comes with 2 very long PCI cards, so I need a motherboard with 2 PCI slots that doesn't have chipset coolers directly behind those slots. I've narrowed it down to Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H which fits the description and is mentioned in the buyer's guide.

But as I google about these specific cards, I read about certain requirements these cards might have. Some people say native PCI support is required and latest chipsets mostly don't have it, except for Q77. The only board with Q77 in the latest buyer's guide has only one PCI slot and therefore isn't appropriate. Can anyone confirm or deny this and recommend a CustoMac board with Q77? Jetway boards seem to get mentioned a lot, but I can't buy them where I live.

Another option that gets mentioned is a PCIe -> PCI adapter.

Does anyone have any direct information on this? Thanks in advance.

I'm building a new CustoMac and I intend to use just hardware from the latest buyer's guide. But the catch is I need to have a system that's compatible with Avid Pro Tools HD2 PCI (that's PCI as in 1993, not PCIe) cards.

Have you looked at the GA-Z77-HD3 or -HD4? Either of these boards would seem to fit your needs. Both have a PCIe to PCI bridge suppport for dual PCI slots at the botom end of the board with plenty of room for long cards. Both have ALC887 and Realtek NIC. The down side is if the PCI cards are long enough to cover the SATA ports. Bad placement with the ports coming straight up from the board, IMHO.

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-1155-Intel-Motherboard-GA-Z77-HD3/dp/B00APZXYGM/
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Intel-DISPLAY-Motherboard-GA-Z77-HD4/dp/B00APZXXWC/

Hmm, it seems really nice, I'll take one of those, they're available where I shop. But they still have Z77, which means they don't have native PCI support. I don't have reliable information on whether that's a problem for the cards I mentioned. Some people say it is.

Hmm, it seems really nice, I'll take one of those, they're available where I shop. But they still have Z77, which means they don't have native PCI support. I don't have reliable information on whether that's a problem for the cards I mentioned. Some people say it is.

From what I have seen, there are no series 7 chipset boards with straight PCI support. They all use a PCIe to PCI bridge for the PCI slots if they even have a PCI slot. Most just have PCIe slots.

From what I have seen, there are no series 7 chipset boards with straight PCI support. They all use a PCIe to PCI bridge for the PCI slots if they even have a PCI slot. Most just have PCIe slots.
Well, according to this article (check out second table) Q77, X79, Q75 and B75 still have it. Quote:
All of the business chipsets also include native PCI support, which is still important for many companies that have custom peripherals.

Well, according to this article (check out second table) Q77, X79, Q75 and B75 still have it. Quote:

It is entirely possible, but I haven't looked at the business boards very closely. The boards I looked at all had the PCI slot hanging off of a PCIe-PCI bridge off the PCIe bus. If you want to take the time, for any board you think may be suitable by looking at the specifications and the pics, download the manual and look at the board system map. If the PCI comes directly off of the 7 series chip, then you have chip support for PCI.

Hello there, I'm trying to do the same here, but I have an HD3 so I would need the Jetway MB (which I can't find on amazon nor ebay and I don't know where to find it with some warranties). I read that some successful builts were done with an i72600k Sandy Bridge... Are the new Ivy bridges out of the question for a Customac running Protools PCIX? Thanks.

I was looking at the GA site and noticed a P75 listing. At first I thought is was a typographical error, but evidently not. Checked it out and found this http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4400#sp

has B75 chip, 4 PCI slots, all of them off of the chip and Amazon carries it although Newegg does not.

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Intel-CrossFireX-Motherboard-GA-P75-D3/dp/B007R9CRJE/

It looks more like something built for an OEM maker like Compaq or Dell than what you would normally get from an etailer. Don't know of anyone who still has a use for a parallel or serial port and you definitely must have a gfx card since there is no gfx port at all.

Pro Tools HD3 PCI compatibility

Hi there, awesome forum, awesome people here helping one each other.

I don't want to steal the thread, but I found that is so similar than the one I was going to create that it could be of better help to join here. It's just an extra PCI slot needed.
I'm going to post it here and if there's any problem, just let me know and I'll move to a new one.

Well, I'm getting tired of waiting to my ol' G5 ProTools HD3 Rig and I have two possibilities: one, get rid of the system, build a Customac and run ProTools again in native this time, or Logic maybe. But the thing is my HD rig is so devaluated that selling my 192i/o and the three cards (and all my plugins licenses present in the iLok) won't be of much economic help for buying a new system and a decent ADDA. And two, build a Customac with enough PCI slots to host my present ProTools. I've searched a lot and I found a lot of info here and in gearslutz and avid.duc. Too much information.
But all of it kinda out of date (the last post dated almost a year ago).

I've taken notes and I found the next specs to fulfill my needs:

Mobo: I've read just below, that the GA-P75-D3 may be a good choice (but anyone has tested it?), or Jetway JNAF92-Q67 (although I don't know where to find this mobo here in Spain).
CPU: i7 2600k 3.4GHz (It appears to be the only option)
-(i took the next specs from the customac pro buying guide)-
RAM: 32GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance (I read of successful builts with 8GB I dunno if I'm pushing to hard asking for 32GB).
Graphics: GeForce GT 640. I'll have two 20'' monitors and I'll do pretty light video editing, I don't know if I'll need a more powerful graphics card than this one.
Case: Corsair Carbide 500R with Corsair 650 Watt Modular PSU (but I don't know if it would host properly the mobo with the long PT PCI cards).
OSHDD: SSD SATA Sandisk 128GB
WorkingHDD: 2x Seagate 1TB SATA HDD Barracuda 7200rpm
DVD/CD: SONY OPTIARC AD-7280S-0B

The thing is, all the data I gathered is almost a year old. I don't know (and I don't find further info) if there's new ways and maybe more powerful to do what I'm planning to do.

I'll appreciate any help. Is my specs list OK?. Can I improve something (anything)?

It'll be my first build, but I'll do whatever I'll have to do to keep enjoying my HD3. No matter what (except for the money, of course :D)

Thanks in advance!

JG

I've taken notes and I found the next specs to fulfill my needs:

Mobo: I've read just below, that the GA-P75-D3 may be a good choice (but anyone has tested it?), or Jetway JNAF92-Q67 (although I don't know where to find this mobo here in Spain).
CPU: i7 2600k 3.4GHz (It appears to be the only option)
-(i took the next specs from the customac pro buying guide)-
RAM: 32GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance (I read of successful builts with 8GB I dunno if I'm pushing to hard asking for 32GB).
Graphics: GeForce GT 640. I'll have two 20'' monitors and I'll do pretty light video editing, I don't know if I'll need a more powerful graphics card than this one.
Case: Corsair Carbide 500R with Corsair 650 Watt Modular PSU (but I don't know if it would host properly the mobo with the long PT PCI cards).
OSHDD: SSD SATA Sandisk 128GB
WorkingHDD: 2x Seagate 1TB SATA HDD Barracuda 7200rpm
DVD/CD: SONY OPTIARC AD-7280S-0B

I'll appreciate any help. Is my specs list OK?. Can I improve something (anything)?

I would spend a little more on an Ivy Bridge CPU to go with that Ivy Bridge board - http://www.amazon.es/dp/B007X1JM30/?tag=tonymacx86c03-21

Otherwise it looks OK, but check the board specs and see if it supports 32Gb of ram before you buy that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back