GIGABYTE Gigabyte Ultra Durable 5 GA-X79-UP4 Desktop Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor 3.2 Ghz 12 MB Cache LGA 2011
Graphics
ASUS Corporate Stable
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hello!

I'm really interested in building a hackintosh for home recording use, but this will be my first time building it and, given my naive knowledge of the subject and lack of money to throw around, I'm really questioning whether or not I should go ahead with it. I've been reading and reading about this, but I'm still in the dark, so I figured I'd make my first post!

I'd like something that runs Pro Tools 11 and works with my Scarlett 6i6 interface, as well as allows for my MPK25 controller and various other usb driven devices. I'd also like something that lasts for at least 5 years, if not longer. Before I started looking into hackintoshes, I was shopping for an iMac since I didn't think I could afford the Mac Pro, but soon realized that they are limited with SSD harddrive space, RAM, etc.

Would you, with your experience, say it would be a good idea to build a hackintosh for recording with Pro Tools? If something fails, I don't really have the extra money to buy more parts to experiment with. I'd like something stable and reliable to experiment with recording that supports a lot of virtual instruments and plugins as well.

Sorry for the long message, I'm just having trouble deciding and figuring out where to start, so any help you might have would be amazing. I'd even love to see your exact setup (I'll look for links to that) in case I want to copy what you did.

Thanks sooooo much for any help!

Recording Studio 2.0: Core i7 3770K | GA-Z77X-UP5 TH | 32GB | HD4000

Ofcourse you can. Many did. Me too. I run PT11 on a Hackin' and it runs fine. I don't use VI's though but there is enough horsepower to do so.
Many of the golden build's here will do. Depends on what board you will like. If you want Thunderbolt there is a narrow choice. Otherwise, plenty boards will do. Internal graphics will do for us ProToolers, you don't need a dedicated graphics card.
Look at the Golden Builds section and the Buyers Guide to compile a build.
What is your budget?

Thanks so much for the quick reply! That is definitely good news to hear. I would like Thunderbolt for expandability sake (After I put everything together, I'd like for it to last a long time), and I don't mind the few options that exist. My budget is around $1500 and maybe a little bit more, but that includes a monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc. I know that's not much, but it seems like people are getting really amazing computers for that price. If I can run 30 tracks with, say, 20 virtual instruments going, I would be thrilled. If I could run upwards of 75 I would be in heaven and I don't think I'll ever reach that much. I plan on making some electronic music though, so I do want the capability to go a bit crazy in the realm of effects/software instruments.

Long story short, is $1500 doable for a fast, reliable system to run Pro Tools 11 with many VIs and plugins going? I'm not looking for a gaming machine, just something to get the job done with the occasional internet browse and netflix movie :)

Thanks so much for the quick reply! That is definitely good news to hear. I would like Thunderbolt for expandability sake (After I put everything together, I'd like for it to last a long time), and I don't mind the few options that exist. My budget is around $1500 and maybe a little bit more, but that includes a monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc. I know that's not much, but it seems like people are getting really amazing computers for that price. If I can run 30 tracks with, say, 20 virtual instruments going, I would be thrilled. If I could run upwards of 75 I would be in heaven and I don't think I'll ever reach that much. I plan on making some electronic music though, so I do want the capability to go a bit crazy in the realm of effects/software instruments.

Long story short, is $1500 doable for a fast, reliable system to run Pro Tools 11 with many VIs and plugins going? I'm not looking for a gaming machine, just something to get the job done with the occasional internet browse and netflix movie :)

The cheapest thunderbolt equipped board is the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5-TH. The fastest cpu is

Intel Core i7-4770K. You are schooled enough to do the price calculations

yourself i hope? :)

You might be a bit too tight on budget.

You need a case, power supply, RAM (16GB will do) and a cooler.
You'd like a SSD for system and software and a separate HD for your audio. Could be a spinner, they are fast enough for audio.

There is a golden build with the
GA-Z87X-UD5-TH if i am not mistaken (but i could be wrong).

Have fun.

The cheapest thunderbolt equipped board is the Gigabyte
GA-Z87X-UD5-TH. The fastest cpu is Intel Core i7-4770K. You are schooled enough to do the price calculations yourself i hope? :)
You might be a bit too tight on budget.

You need a case, power supply, RAM (16GB will do) and a cooler.
You'd like a SSD for system and software and a separate HD for your audio. Could be a spinner, they are fast enough for audio.

There is a golden build with the
GA-Z87X-UD5-TH if i am not mistaken (but i could be wrong).

Have fun.

OK, so I've been working on a build and this is what I have so far (with tons of questions to anyone who might be able to help!)

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD5 TH

CPU -
Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz

RAM -
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Storage (3 Drives) -
Drive 1 - SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB *Will this be enough for the OS, Pro Tools, and room to spare?
Drive 2 -
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE500BW 2.5" 500GB - This will be for Virtual Instruments and plugins
Drive 3 -
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM - This will be for recording

Monitor -
ASUS VE278Q Black 27" - Can I use the built in speakers with this? I've read about audio issues...

Keyboard/Mouse - Apple Wireless Keyboard and Trackpad - I've also read about bluetooth problems...will the bluetooth on the Motherboard work with these and other devices out of the box, or is that something that takes awhile to get working? Should I just settle for wired devices? I will definitely be using bluetooth peripherals.

Some additional questions -
1) I saw a wireless card listed on the CustoMac Pro build, but the MB has wireless and bluetooth build in. Is there something wrong with what's already available? Will I also need to buy a Bluetooth dongle and wireless card?
2) Is it really ok to leave out a separate graphics card? I'm ok with not being able to play games on the system, but I don't want to compromise any functionality in Pro Tools, and I'd like to watch an occasional movie!
3) With this setup, can anyone recommend the smallest case available that would work ok? Space is tight
:D
4) Would an additional fan be required with this build? If so, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

I think that's pretty much all my questions for now (I'm sure I'll have tons more). Thank you so much for all of your help, and sorry for my long long response!

Here's a link to the price and where I'm buying everything from (courtesy of someone else who made the spreadsheet)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtXx2zAyfljTdGxOcVFTZzJWNG45WTYxTU5NTmczZ0E&usp=sharing

Keyboard/Mouse - Apple Wireless Keyboard and Trackpad - I've also read about bluetooth problems...will the bluetooth on the Motherboard work with these and other devices out of the box, or is that something that takes awhile to get working? Should I just settle for wired devices? I will definitely be using bluetooth peripherals.

It would be good to have a wired USB keyboard and mouse too. As if it is just for setting up the system. Bluetooth is something that has issues that can be solved but is not out of the box. I don't use it, browse the forum for more info.

Some additional questions -
1) I saw a wireless card listed on the CustoMac Pro build, but the MB has wireless and bluetooth build in. Is there something wrong with what's already available? Will I also need to buy a Bluetooth dongle and wireless card?
2) Is it really ok to leave out a separate graphics card? I'm ok with not being able to play games on the system, but I don't want to compromise any functionality in Pro Tools, and I'd like to watch an occasional movie!

1) Wireless that's in the box doesn't work with OSX. BT i am not sure. It might not. Do a search.
2) Definitely fine. I use HD4000 here. I haven't met any difficulties. PT doesn't make us elf the graph. card cpu power.

3) With this setup, can anyone recommend the smallest case available that would work ok? Space is tight :D

Use an ATX size case. The mobo is ATX. If you want smaller you have to drop thunderbolt ports and choose a smaller mobo.

4) Would an additional fan be required with this build? If so, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

You need a separate CPU cooler, but not more then that. I have no specific recommendations.

I think that's pretty much all my questions for now (I'm sure I'll have tons more). Thank you so much for all of your help, and sorry for my long long response!

Here's a link to the price and where I'm buying everything from (courtesy of someone else who made the spreadsheet)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtXx2zAyfljTdGxOcVFTZzJWNG45WTYxTU5NTmczZ0E&usp=sharing

I would buy an extra SDD for windows7 to install firmware updates, make thunderbolt work and other maintenance. It can be a cheap one.

I have a 256GB for system and software and use about 70GB. Yes you could do with a 120GB but i the price difference is too small compared to the nuisance you'll get when it gets too full.

Do you really need a SSD for VI and plugins? Again, i am not a VI user so you might be right.

You can install Mountain Lion and then Mavericks, but maybe mavericks directly too. Browse the forum for Unibeast and Mavericks.

It would be good to have a wired USB keyboard and mouse too. As if it is just for setting up the system. Bluetooth is something that has issues that can be solved but is not out of the box. I don't use it, browse the forum for more info. 1) Wireless that's in the box doesn't work with OSX. BT i am not sure. It might not. Do a search. 2) Definitely fine. I use HD4000 here. I haven't met any difficulties. PT doesn't make us elf the graph. card cpu power. Use an ATX size case. The mobo is ATX. If you want smaller you have to drop thunderbolt ports and choose a smaller mobo. You need a separate CPU cooler, but not more then that. I have no specific recommendations. I would buy an extra SDD for windows7 to install firmware updates, make thunderbolt work and other maintenance. It can be a cheap one. I have a 256GB for system and software and use about 70GB. Yes you could do with a 120GB but i the price difference is too small compared to the nuisance you'll get when it gets too full. Do you really need a SSD for VI and plugins? Again, i am not a VI user so you might be right. You can install Mountain Lion and then Mavericks, but maybe mavericks directly too. Browse the forum for Unibeast and Mavericks.
Thank you so much for this info! I'm planning on buying parts in the next few weeks, so I'll keep you updated on how it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back